vineet

New Grand Vitara

Hi All

With the new Grand Vitara Coming in with much desired changes do you think it has now what it takes to take on CRV's of the world in India?

Keeping in mind the service network in India that Maruti has & also the price variance

Some key changes which make a diff now are:-

• 2.4 Litre VVT (Variable Valve Timing) engine developing a maximum power of 163.5 bhp @ 6000 rpm and a maximum torque of 225 nm @ 4000 rpm.
  • 17 inches Wheels
  • new multi-information display
  • new bumper along with a new Honeycomb grille

And Last but not the least:--

Grand Vitara 2.4 Manual  a

Well I don't think it needs to compete with CRV nowadays who is buying CRV or rather a suv except diesel . It is for enthusiasts only ,they can't launch a powerful DDIs enigne as fiat hasn't granted permission for it in India.

I think Maruti should relaunch the V6 engine which was discarded in the old ladder-frame Vitara XL-7. That too with more power. I guess Maruti has now got enough expertise and experience to optimise their engine and gearboxes for economy. Anyways, a person looking for the CR-V shouldn't have economy as his top priority.

What say?

Grand Vitara has never been a competitor to the CR-V anywhere in the world, so why, here in India. It hasn't been a competitor so long. Just 400 cc increase in engine capacity isn't going to work magic. However powerful it may be, it'll go the same way as the Sonata's or the Tucson's. OTR of Sonata now is closer to the Civic/Corolla Altis territory than the Accord/Camry brigade. But it isn't selling, is it? Sonata Transform costs something like 5-6 lakhs less than the Accord, it is a very good car indeed, but it's perceived as cheap. That perception is enough to kill any good product. Durango Dude2009-07-06 18:30:52

grand vitara never was the leading car in the segment and it will never be ....as a person spending nearly 2o lakh wud like his car to represent his status ....and status comes through greater brand value ...and that is where maruti lacks ....thanks to its earstwhile cheap products ...which has given indians and also the world a perception that maruti makes cheap quality products...and who wud like to spend on a car ....costing around 20 lak and sharing some parts of the interior with swift that cost 1/3 of the grand vitara ....

cars like grand vitara and sonata suffer due to their respective brand image's...both hyundai and maruti suzuki are small car champions and actually the latter are slated to launch the kizashi which is gonna be fighting it out with accord/camry/superb segment and i really see no hope for kizashi beacuse of maruti's brand image.

ps-but both are really excellent cars who haven't received what is due to them.

There is already similar thread running on the Vitara and I mentioned there, that it is going to flop because it hardly has any street presence and due to Maruti Suzuki's low cost image.

Neither the CRV, nor the Grand Vitara sells well these days. Even a single CRV was sold for the part 2 months. Grand Vitara's was comparatively better than CRV. And with the new engine, Grand Vitara's sales should surely will increase.

Also, the fact is that Grand Vitara is about 4 lakhs cheaper than CRV. It will be atleast as reliable as CRV, though the spares are cheape. However, the brand image of CRV cannot be matched by Grand Vitara.

Finally, Suzuki got its sense right by getting rid of the 2.0L motor of Grand Vitara and replacing it with 2.4L , which it deserves.As a matter of fact, that 2.0L motor of grand vitara is actually of SX4 which is sold in american market with a 2.0L motor.

In the australian market, Suzuki grand vitara comes with an option of 1.9L DDis . Why they forgot to bring this unit here in India is puzzling!. Perhaps, they didnt get the License from Fiat , to sell the grand vitara with the 1.9L DDIs.

Yes buddy, you are right. The diesel engine would have been a warm welcome in Grand Vitara.

I am also a little puzzled to see that Maruti is not considering diesel engine option. I feel that they might be considering their own diesel engine on Grand Vitara. Heard somewhere that, they are developing a 2.0 litre diesel engine. Hope it might come in Vitara too. :-)

Any way, sure that with the new petrol engine, the sales will increase. It is a highly capable mini Suv, at earth shattering low price.

Diesel seems the only way Maruti can compete with Honda on similar terms since it lacks the technologcal wizardy of the Japanese giant. I have heard that Maruti is developing a 2.0L Diesel for the Kizashi-based saloon, and if that does duty in the Vitara, which is otherwise a good product, it would make for an interesting combination. A better interior is also expected, with fresh design, without using the Swift/ SX4/ Ritz/ Estilo parts.

Maruti's image as a small-car-only manufacturer is hampering the Vitara from being popular. I think Maruti should now concentrate on building really competent cars for the Luxury segment, since it has enough small cars to plug all price points.

The reason for not getting the diesel of Fiat is that Fiat hasn't granted permission to suzuki to sell higher capacity multijet in India . Even they would have love to bring in the multijet.