ivar1951

VW Jetta Pumpe Duse

I've almost decided on the Laura 1.8 TSI but hesitate to take the plunge as it is not automatic and lacks basic features like dual a/c and climatiser, only 2 airbags, etc;

Another reason is that I'm still eyeing the Jetta provided it gets the CRDi engine -- in place of the pumpe duse -- as has been done in the USA. Does any one know when VW will give the CRDi to the Jetta as it has done in the Passat?

Well thats the editor . PD engine are known for peaky power delivery unlike the crdi which has less of peaky delivery comparatively if you can wait till 2010 then jetta may have that engine but I doubt because even the passat has same engine which is from altogether a different segment may be a smaller crdi engine.

@ivar1951: For that price the laura 1.8 TSI is the best with the most linear power delivery engine and a good economy and the tsi is one of a king technology with twin chargers. its much better than the jetta.don have any confusion do buy the laura 1.8 tsi or u might regret ur decision

Just heard from the VW Dealer in Mumbai (VW Downtown) that they have launched the Jetta with a new Crdi motor in all July 2009 models onwards. 

[/QUO

The Chandigarh dealer denied that the Jetta had been launched with a CRDi engine w.e.f. from July. He said only the Passat now has a CRDI engine w.e.f from July. Can you please re-check your inform with the Mumbai dealer? Thanks.

Bad news! just got it confirmed that the PD engines are being upgraded to BSIV and that CRDi for the Jetta wont be coming in a hurry. Worse, the Jetta's 1.6 too is being upgraded to BSIV which means no TSI power in the Jetta for awhile! Skoda has really taken the march on engine technology and left VW behind in this case

Thats strange !! Cos the guys from VW Downtown Mumbai told me that the Jettas are all coming out with a CRDI engine and said he would call me the coming Monday when the car comes into their showroom at Prabhadevi (which is the Shaman Ford Showroom as well). Will send an update next week once I actually see it for myself.....

IN Germany all the new Jettas comes with only commanrail diesels(1.6L-105ps,2L with 140ps/170ps).New dials,new Climate control buttons(found on the new golf and new laura)and a new steering wheel also have been added.But no perceivable changes have been done to the exteriors.May be we can expect these changes to takeplace in the indian jettas soon.

The pumpe duse is a good engine too but it cannot pass the latest emission standards. VW was compelled to replace the PD engine in the US with the CRDi for this reason. I think soon India will also invoke these standards which will compel VW to bring in the CRDi. I wonder why VW is delaying this replacement.

I think if you think with your heart, go for the Skoda Laura 1.8TSI. I think dual zone a/c and other creature comforts amounts to 'nitpicking'. But 4 airbags less, in a car capable of hitting 223kmph, is a serious omission. But other safety features are there including ABS/EBD, all wheel dics, TCS. The only reason to buy the Skoda Laura 1.8TSI, lies beneath the bonnet.

Autocar has reported in its August issue that the pumpe duse engine in the Jetta will be replaced with the CRDi by April 2010. Cheers. So hold your "purse" all those who were ready to by the Jetta.

Now that,vw UK too have replaced 1.9 tdi with 1.6 tdi engine in jetta.Seeing that in India,presently, vw is aggressively marketing the -free insurance+3 year maintenance scheme,i believe the same change is imminent in India too.

It is now certain that the Jetta will have a CRDi engine by April 2010 if not earlier. It may even be shown at the Delhi car show.

One can also safely assume that the Skoda Laura 1.9 and 2.0 will also switch to the CRDI engine sooner than later.

So' date=' after all this info on the new CRDI coming in, which one you think is still better if im thinkin of buying this month itself : Jetta or Laura 1.9 ?[/quote']

First, which Jetta: Trendline (manual) or Comfortline (automatic)? Lets presume, its the former and so is the Laura a manual.

Since you've made up your mind to go in for a model ready to be phased out by April 2010 if not earlier, then I feel the Laura has the edge even if the Jetta commands more social respect because of the VW badge! But those in the know would prefer the Laura.

Why don't you consider the Laura 1.8 TSI? Its a fantastic car with which you can't go wrong. The Superb also has the same engine and the Yeti too will have it. The petrol consumption is claimed to be about 8-9 in the city and 13-14 on the highway.