thackervijay

GP multijet or i20 crdi

Well as now both the said and much talked hatchbacks are launched, i would like to know from all experts that which is the better buy from these two hatchbacks. I know Fiat has successed with their linea but i still fume about tata's ASS after atleast owning a tata vehicle till now. Also when i went to check out gp, one thing that was a let down was its rear space which is strictly for two adults. On other hand i20 is same as its petrol sister in all aspects except it's engine, but hyundai's ASS and reliability so getting confused on to which one is a better buy to go for. With the prospective of keeping this car for atleast 5-to 7 years, lesser maintenance and spares which hyundai is ahead. Help me please

CYRUS432009-07-15 07:51:38

@Thackervijay, please take time & care while posting, preview your post, set the punctuations/grammar right. That way it becomes easier to understand & reply in a better way.

BTW, I would choose the Punto over i20!

Fiat's ASS is getting better and better, as they have engaged JD power to see if customers are happy or not after sales and service.

I my self have exepirianced this in four and half month of my ownership of Linea, there are dadicated service personnel  there for Fiat cars in all Tata Motors. Fiat is leaving no stones on the road for bumpy ride this time.

Buy which ever you like the most, they both are good.
cartoos2009-07-14 16:41:01

Both cars are brilliant in their own aspect but id take the Punto just for that amazing feeling it gives!!

PS- The Punto is the only hatchback available in India to be featured in the NFS Most Wanted

I would advise you to for Punto, it's better looking and has good ride and handling. i20 is overpriced and not worth the premium.

Punto has got a service interval of 15,000 kms, so it will be cheaper to maintain.

Both cars are brilliant in their own aspect but id take the Punto just for that amazing feeling it gives!!
PS- The Punto is the only hatchback available in India to be featured in the NFS Most Wanted

@designersf even the audi and golf hatchback are there is NFS MW' date=' also if there is going to be another hatch back then I should be fiesta the best FWD car.[/quote']

@SF, That is one of the First things I thought about when I first saw the car.

@rssh, The Golf and the A3 arent available in India.

All said and done, I'd say go for the i20 crdi, even in Magna format it comes with all wheel discs and ABS/EBD. The Punto is great car in the wrong hands; its engine is nothing to write home about and takes a "yawning" 18 secs to 100 kmph. Whereas the i20 has sedan like space and boot space is extremely good for a hatch. The engine is refined and powerful. I'd any day bet on the i20 unless the GP gets better engine options and service backup. GP is great car let down by lacklustre engines.Durango Dude2009-07-15 17:39:21

All said and done' date=' I'd say go for the i20 crdi, even in Magna format it comes with all wheel discs and ABS/EBD. The Punto is great car in the wrong hands; its engine is nothing to write home about and takes a "yawning" 18 secs to 100 kmph. Whereas the i20 has sedan like space and boot space is extremely good for a hatch. The engine is refined and powerful. I'd any day bet on the i20 unless the GP gets better engine options and service backup. GP is great car let down by lacklustre engines.[/quote']

I completely agree with your statement about how GP is a great car in the wrong hands. The review by autocar in this month's(July's) issue clearly shows how the excessive localization has led to sacrificed quality(Courtesy TATA). Also to cut costs and improve the milage, Fiat has greatly sacrificed the performance of both, the petrol and diesel engines.

i20 is a like a jack of all trades in a field where all cars excel at something and lack at other things. Fabia dosent have the features, Jazz is expensive while GP compromises of performance etc. etc. i20 provides a fantastic overall package of everything(im not saying it is better than others at everything) and now that they have added 2 more engine options, the deal is even more sweeter.

I agree with DD even I love the looks of the punto but when I see the advertizment of yuvraj driving the punto on my neighborhood roads i feel that even the alto can overtake this car , my dad loves it look though a little less than linea . I always say forget it dad it not as exciting as it looks to drive . Also I remember the long term reports of palio in ACi which has viper assembly costing 5500 whereas I replaced my cars whole assembly for 1000.

i20 looks great and it is quiet drivable (the diesal) and better service network lets see the sales figure of these two cars this month.

I would advise you to for Punto' date=' it's better looking and has good ride and handling. i20 is overpriced and not worth the premium.

Punto has got a service interval of 15,000 kms, so it will be cheaper to maintain.[/quote']

well i thought the same, but what after 15k, i mean usual car needs this done by 5 to 10k intervals for better performance and engine life, also the cost of spares for fiat has been on higher side till now , not sure about current status.Hyundai also had complains for their crdi engines on accent but current one which is 1.4 on i20 is newer, so still getting confused.

I have TD gp so far, impressive with the available features onboard, but the amount spend is just not for features, also the plastics used on GP atleast on dashboard is not worth saying, and lots of cost cutting is being done on that, also the NHV level is on much higher side on GP as compared to swift or say vista, so i would say would prefer i20 crdi, one thing for hyundai and crdi owners, have heard about softer suspensions on Getz and verna diesels which is why there is more of body roll as compared to others, isit the same for i20 too?
thackervijay2009-07-17 12:05:45

I think suspension is firm for i20 because on TDing kappa varient I could easily feel eagerness in handling though some road undulation are also felt, with wider tyres it feels planted.

@ thackervijay : I heard Punto's spares are priced well, see if you can get any further information on the parts.

Generally Hyundai cars are cheaper to maintain but i guess the i20's diesel engine is imported and it may be costly to maintain, not sure though.