Durango Dude

Can this be MSIL's "Premium Hatch"?

Yes DD, this car is an absolute joy to drive, I did a TD of the 4X4 and it was awesome on handling and grunt it carried. You get cruze control,Power windows and mirrors, leather steering wheel, front fog lamps, 16 inch aluminium alloy wheels, dual front and side airbags and ABS brakes all as standard!!

This car looks better than the SX4 we have in India and definately will pass accross as a good SUV. It costs about $25K here and i felt its pretty good pricing. I am not sure how mcuh it would cost in India though! what with the mur murs about Chevy Cruze costing well over 12lakh Rupees!!  sharash2009-07-16 02:24:02

This half-{hatch,sedan} concept that came into being some time ago, is something that sells a lot. Many car manufacturers have tried it on their sedans and reaped its successive sales abroad.Although,taking a precedent, the one that came in India by chevrolet: SRV didnt do well -- Looks were good, but the moment an aware person popped its hood, and looked under it he would run away. -- thanks to the stupid mistake manufacturer did by bolting in that 1.6L of its cousin Optra or Aveo into it.To me the best car of this concept has to be Subaru WRX-STi.

Nevertheless, with respect to your question.Yes, One thinks that to boost up its SX4 sales, it would be nice to bring this concept. It'll be quite a change from the current SX4. But, you need to take into account that MSIL, hands are already full with Swift, Dzire production and now with the inception of Ritz, A-Star .Its hands are full. As a matter of fact, this points to the strategy of MSIL: that they are unwilling to let go of thier small car segment, that they wish to dominate, as it is thier mainstay, even on the expense of other segments. Its approach towards other car segments is a bit laid-back not pre-emptive. Thats why , i wont much hope whether they bring this half-{hatch,sedan} of SX4 up in near future!. But, if they did it would be good for them.

I think that since sx4 now has the image of sedan MSil may never bring it here, seeing from critics point of view of the DZire they won't gamble. Also now swift has postioning problems due to Dzire and ritz. If they facelift it with more powerful engine then Dzire will be available at that price point and image clash is inevetible.

This half-{hatch' date='sedan} concept that came into being some time ago, is something that sells a lot. Many car manufacturers have tried it on their sedans and reaped its successive sales abroad.Although,taking a precedent, the one that came in India by chevrolet: SRV didnt do well -- Looks were good, but the moment an aware person popped its hood, and looked under it he would run away. -- thanks to the stupid mistake manufacturer did by bolting in that 1.6L of its cousin Optra or Aveo into it.To me the best car of this concept has to be Subaru WRX-STi.

Nevertheless, with respect to your question.Yes, One thinks that to boost up its SX4 sales, it would be nice to bring this concept. It'll be quite a change from the current SX4. But, you need to take into account that MSIL, hands are already full with Swift, Dzire production and now with the inception of Ritz, A-Star .Its hands are full. As a matter of fact, this points to the strategy of MSIL: that they are unwilling to let go of thier small car segment, that they wish to dominate, as it is thier mainstay, even on the expense of other segments. Its approach towards other car segments is a bit laid-back not pre-emptive. Thats why , i wont much hope whether they bring this half-{hatch,sedan} of SX4 up in near future!. But, if they did it would be good for them.[/quote']

This car has a 2L engine, much more than the presently sold SX4 with 1.6L engine and its also a AWD. I would rather look at it more like an SUV than a Sedan turned SUV mate!!

Chevy did not have the appeal MSIL has and would never have it in India. The SRV you mentioned here looked more like a hatchback and was overpriced and hence not apprciated much in India.
sharash2009-07-16 05:22:26

If MSIL can retro-engineer a boot on to the Swift, they also remove the boot of the SX-4 to make a premium hatch, the 2 l engine in the Indian scenario is sure to be a guzzler, so probably retain the 1.6. I'm sending this reply from my Nokia 5800 using Aircel Pocketinternet.

I dont think it will work, and this SX4 aint new, its pretty old now as its there in the foreign market for long time now. I think for a premium hatch it should have comfort, build quality and better interior plastics along with good ride quality, i think present indian SX4 lacks all things, i think premium hatch should be better than Csegment sedans. And maruti doesnt have that image of premium hatch, nobody is gonna buy this when they will get the so called 'sedan' Dzire at almost same or lesser value. But if its available at slightly more price than swift with a diesel then it can be a hit.

@Bluesapphire: I think SX4 is a decent enough sedan. What your saying may hold good for an Indigo, but not SX4. I still think this X-over concept will definitely have takers here. The problem is gutless MSIL, though India is the biggest market for Suzuki worldwide, it continues to give us trash; where as the US market treats Suzuki as trash, but they end up getting the best/imaginative products.

DD--The problem is gutless MSIL, though India is the biggest market for Suzuki worldwide, it continues to give us trash; where as the US market treats Suzuki as trash, but they end up getting the best/imaginative products. --

I couldn't agree more. As , i already mentioned above , that MSIL approach towards segments other than its fovourable small car segment, has been laid back, not pre-emptive. I percieve, MSIL takes indian car owners for granted.It knows , people are going buy its products , anyways. Yet, now i am not worried. Because, Honda is here to teach Suzuki a very valuable lesson.For starters, to take other segments seriously , not just small car segment.

As a matter of fact, with the advent of the Honda Jazz. Honda finally has got itself engaged in a full flegged war against Suzuki for Indian Automobile industry dominance.But, thats another matter, which requires a whole new thread for discussion.

Actually FRG maruti seems to be happy with how SX4 has performed. I had just been to a MS dealer few days back and there was a leaflet about how it is the second largest selling petrol car in its segment. It has also launched new interior accesories packages like faux wood and beige finish interiors. So it has its eye on SX4, we might get the hatch too.

Also just immagine if we get the 4X4 variant here. It might even compete with safari and scorpio. So its tapping multiple segments, maruti should think of that too

On enquiring about sx4 diesel a dealer said they have plan for sx4 diesel and are in engine tuning stage ' date=' he said that it may come this november [/quote']

They desperately need a diesel and quickly too.

Sx4 IMO has been crushed from the dzire below and the ANHC above. Also Linea has dented its sales a bit.

SX4 with 1.9DDiS is available in Europe from early 2006 onwards. It is a 118 bhp AWD version of the hatch. One of my colleagues in Ireland had the same and it was a very good car by all means. It sells far better than the Fiat Sedici there. If MSIL brings the 1.6 or 1.9 DDiS to India for the SX4 it will sell like hot cakes. In Europe the Suzukis dont have that much rattling as in India. I think thats because of the better roads there.

Im not sure if the Sx4 hatch has a market. People will look at it from the Sx4's point of view and all its weaknesses remain - poor economy being one of them. This will push away some but those whow ant ground clearance will go for it. It is a s ort of niche vehicle like what the Ford Fusion was (and we know its story).Pricing makes a difference and if priced around 6 lakhs, Maruti will have another unworthy contender in its hands..Depends on how they market the vehicle too..So lets wait and watch..

PS - Isnt it a competitor to the Rio?

MSIL is going to display a 7 seater concept MPV called RIII based on the SX4. Is that the one mentioned here or the real SX4 hatch?

The real SX4 hatch with AWD or 4x4 sold in other markets may not be a good seller in India since MSIL cannot price it below 6 Lakhs. It will have the same fate of Ford Fusion and Honda Jazz eventnough they are good and very practical cars. But the 7 seater MPV with a 1.6 or 2.0 L diesel makes more sense for the Indian market. It will definitely sell more than Xylo and can offer a good competition to Toyota's Avanza which is also expected to be launched in India.

I would like to put it another way.

If at all the SX4 hatchback comes with the 1.2lit K-Series engine,and reduce the length to less than 4meters, it would prove to be a real success. It would be perceived as a better car than i20, Jazz, Punto etc.

Yes, with the 1.2lit engine, it will not be a performance based car. However, even i20 has only 1.2lit engine for the lower variants.

SX4 sedan weighs around 1200kg. So we could assume that the hatch will weigh less than 1100kg; off the rear boot extension and with a lighter Engine. Hence it will be as light as an i20, with a more powerful engine (1.2 Kappa v/s 1.2 KB)

If SX4 hatch becomes a reality it will be around 6.5 lakhs for the fully loaded version as the current sedan is 7.2 lakhs ex showroom so I expect around 80k to 1 lakh less for the hatch and this could through hatches like i20 in a lot of trouble