nbmotosport

Bajaj P220 Fi owners feel cheated

Hey! Want to know what u guys think of the new Bajaj P220? My friend has the Fi model and now feels cheated! New model is faster, cheaper and has same mileage. It costs 10k less, so resale of old is affected....Shouldnt Bajaj have reduced price a bit but kept fuel injection? It is better tech than a carb so why is Bajaj doing this?

CYRUS432009-07-16 13:13:23

I also think that the resale value of Fi varient is less , I saw a program raftaar and it said bajaj is also selling the Fi varient too. You can't really blame bajaj for price cut because fi tech is expensive , improvement on pickup and smae FE can is said as an achievement for Bajaj engineers or help of KTM.

I think the P220 is gonna be more accessible due to this factor

Moreover, with the advent of more performance oriented bikes from Yamaha, Bajaj had taken a lot of hits

So, the only option was this but this will not fare well against the new Karizma that looks to have all the features

Ive also heard the P220 Fi will continue, but with such a big price difference y will anyone buy it? If Bajaj can make the carb 220 perform better with equal mileage, it only means their Fi tech was not good...

Fi tech improves the throttle response and a slightly better milege than carb version now they have tuned the carb version so well that no one may buy the Fi

"Bajaj P220 Fi owners feel cheated"

Bajaj is distinctly ahead. So to speak.

Exactly!

But i think, Bajaj has got no other way. The sales of dts-fi model was very low, so they'd to do this. Any way pity all the dts-fi owners.

See there's a simple concept Technology comes with price or rather higher price. Bajaj had to introduce FI and so it did on P-220. Now the sad part is they that they very soon launched the same model with basic fuel system(the good old carb). See we have to move ahead with the technology.

Look the better aspects too..while I am planning to buy a new bike,I wud certainly prefer one with fi. n that may be the P-DTSFi . coz I like riding on lontg highways and the hilly tracks. There the carb may get you in trouble sometimes. It has a float chamber which is very well affected with the gravity and bike's position.

So pulsar-fi owners not to worry, you are still a step ahead.

@ Fastest Indian, few kmph increament hardly makes any difference. You could rarely reach those limits.

Poor sales and marketing campaign apart, Bajaj positioned the 220 as the most technoligically advanced motorcycle. IT relauched it as the "fastest indian", but bikers have come of age and are no more restricted to buying their bike based on a glittzy advertisement where stuntmen do stunts.

Dtsf-i disadvantages were :

It had Fi (an open loop one, technically speaking its outdated compared to close loop Fi, and then also the indian mentality of using cheaper components). Fuel used was always a concern.

It has Paoli forks, which are thicker than Karizmas but new Fz's have same thickness in their forks.

In bangalore numerous p220 owners had problems with the Fi system giving wrong mileage figures, and with some owners who reported that Fi system did not practise what it preached... Eg: Cold morning starts still was a problem., Fuses were getting blown leading to ignition always remaining on even after engaging kill switch.

Bajaj is still using the twin frame, and not a single one like on the Unicorn or Fz.

No mono shock. Bajaj may claim otherwise with gas charged shocks but ask any pulsar rider about how stable and comfy a unicorn or Fz feels while riding.

Rear disc always locked up under hard braking.

R&D issues aside, any bajaj bike in long term is no where close to its japanese engineered counter parts in terms of engine refinement, quality and reliability of switch gear. RIde a Pulsar 150, 180 , 200 which is 2 years old. Now ofcourse you'd say that the owner was always a rash rider etc etc... BUT take a similar bike like Unicorn, HH CBZ extreme, Karizma which was ridden rashly and you'l notice immediately what levels of quality remain compared to the other bikes in the pulsars.

I am not biased against pulsars, but the fact remains , BAJAJ learnt its bike building from Kawasaki and after the collaboration ended, they've used the same basic 4 stroke engine and produced 100 cc, 125, 135, 150, 180, 200,220 etc etc etc.

Any engine upgrade should be done whole heartedly and not just about power increase and strenghtining the clutch for added power.

The same goes for TVS apache. APache RTR 160 Fi is no where as good as the carburreted 160 Rtr in terms of performance. Sure on the track it may make a difference, but on public roads the carburetted one makes mince meat out of the Fi.

With the new KArizma ZMR smiley25.gifsmiley23.gif coming out, naming terminology asides, it should re claim the mantle of the performance machine. Still, its gonna be outdated compared to Yamaha R15's technologically advanced engine and track tuned suspension.

I have figured out what Bajaj should have done

1: Price the 180 at 150 price

2: Price the 200 at 180 price

3: price the 220 at 200 price

4:phase out the 150

Out of these measures bajaj has done ONLY number 3

Still a long way to go, Bajaj