Endless

Correct driving habits

Given below is a link about safe driving practices followed in Western Australia where I live.

Since Australia is a RHD country, most of  these directions can be follwed for safe driving in Indian roads too.

Here is the link for the steps and procedures to get a Full License in Australia

Just compare the steps to get a Full License in India and Australia. The road rules are even more strict in countries belonging to European Union. Lets wish for a day when our Indian government impose such strict rules in our country and all the drivers follow them.smiley1.gif
jimgeo2009-12-07 01:55:35

Please tell me which cars are there in Australia-- LHD or RHD.

All British Commonwealth nations, including Australia, follow 'Keep Left' traffic rules, i.e., the vehicles are RHD.

I travelled exensively in Victoria [Melbourne], New South Wales [sydney] and Queensland [brisbane] states of Australia.  I very rarely heard of honking of horns, contrary to permanent 'Sound Horn' instructions found behind the Indian trucks!  Pedastrians are treated with respect and given the right of way, especially at the zebra crossings, by the vehicles' drivers.  One of the reasons could be stringent fines/penalties, which act as deterrant for non-observance of traffic rules. 
J.Ravi2009-12-07 05:04:44

All British Commonwealth nations' date=' including Australia, follow 'Keep Left' traffic rules, i.e., the vehicles are RHD.

[/quote']

Sorry to poop the party. What about Canada?

Good Driving Practice, my contribution

1. While taking a right turn, come to roads left corner, then turn. So that you will have better visibility of the other road. (Mainly applies on small roads) 

2. While reversing, keep the Left side OVRM focussing the rear tyre of the vehicle, so that, you exactly know where you have parked.

3. Try not to use High beam in City limits, but when needed, use the FOG + High Beam, so that you don't miss out objects near you.

4. Try to keep the back right door's child lock engaged, when going with people who doesn't have more traffic sense.

5. In slopes, keep safe distance from the vehicle at front

6. Use Dim/ Dip at night, not horn

7. Choose the overdrive gear as soon as possible in highways and try to keep the tacho under, Max Torque's rpm

All British Commonwealth nations' date=' including Australia, follow 'Keep Left' traffic rules, i.e., the vehicles are RHD. [/quote']Sorry to poop the party. What about Canada?

Oops.  I underestimated the influence of USA and France!  Here is the historical fact:

Despite the developments in the US, some parts of Canada continued to drive on the left until shortly after the Second World War. The territory controlled by the French (from Quebec to Louisiana) drove on the right, but the territory occupied by the English (British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland) kept left. British Columbia and the Atlantic provinces switched to the right in the 1920s in order to conform with the rest of Canada and the USA. Newfoundland drove on the left until 1947, and joined Canada in 1949.

J.Ravi2009-12-07 06:26:19

Good Driving Practice' date=' my contribution

1. While taking a right turn, come to roads left corner, then turn. So that you will have better visibility of the other road. (Mainly applies on small roads).[/quote']

Is not a Bad Practice?

You should not move to left side of the road if you want to take a right turn. This is Wrong Practice since when you try to take a right turn, a vehicle might bump you from behind. Also if you want to take right turn, you should be in the right-most lane. Why should you make the followers behind you wait until you take right turn (unless you taking a U-Turn in a Trailer)?

The biggest problem here in Punjab is posed by the auto-rickshaw drivers and rickshaw drivers. A majority of accidents are caused by due to their erratic driving habits

Not only in Punjab it all over north india ( I never gone to GJ, MH, KL, TN, WB etc so can not say).

Even cycle rickshaw  get enter in one way with fats speed and same zig zag driving without any fear of challan because there is no rule in this regard till now.

The information on making the absolute driving habits gives a lot of ideas to everyone. This is very passionate to have it in a finest way to achieve it. This kind of ideas will really helps everyone a lot to meet the finest satisfaction there. Thanks for sharing the nice details there about the driving habits. It shapes me as a better driver in the future.

Well talking about driving habits, I have a few that I personally like to follow all the time:

1. Stick to the lane you want to be in on the highways. Do not pose a problem to the other traffic.

2. Always make clear to the vehicle in front of you and the oncoming vehicle of your intentions to overtake.

3. Do not overtake if your judgement does not support your decision.

4. Always at least slow down when joining traffic on a highway from an arterial road.

5. Do not honk when the light turns green. No one likes to keep looking at the green light still waiting at the intersection.

6. Always use indicators - while overtaking, while changing lanes, while driving in city.

7. The use of hazard lights in tunnels is ridiculous. Only switch on your lights. Ur tail lights are sufficient for the vehicle behind you know that u are in front of it.

8. Please do not overspeed. Sudden acceleration and braking not only dips the FE but also increases chances of accidents.

9. Equip ur car with a LOVRM if it does not come fitted with one. Make use of all the three mirrors when driving. Mirrors are not meant to be kept folded when the car is in motion.

10. Leave for ur destination 10 mins earlier. Road rage does not benefit anyone.

11. While taking a right turn into an inner road from a main road, do not keep crawling further into the oncoming traffic. Wait until u get a clear road. Flash ur lights onto the oncoming vehicle from a distance and then cross.

12. Please observe traffic rules.

And about braking, never put your car into neutral before u halt.

Happy driving... cheers!!

Stick to the lane you want to be in on the highways. Do not pose a problem to the other traffic.

On a 4-lane road, the slow-moving vehicle shall go on the left lane and the faster vehicle on the right.  That is the rule and correct way of driving.  But, in India, I always find the overloaded, old and slow-moving trucks always go majestically on the right lane.  Many times, two slow-moving trucks will occupy both the lanes of the carriageway and go parallelly on a procession, one trying to overtake the other, till eternity preventing other vehicles from overtaking them.  Cars will have tough time to manoeuver these trucks.
J.Ravi2009-12-09 15:33:52

Very true, its really funny that trucks stick to the right most lane but if thot otherwise, its not their fault either. Most of the main roads in the city, ring roads etc. are occupied by the crawling auto rickshaws, tempo rickshaws & the errant two wheeler drivers. Also, its a habit of the categories and also of the yellow plate cabbies to stop right on the highway to pick-up or drop passengers.
While I love driving from the bottom of my heart, such wrong doings really makes one feel sorry of the state of traffic in the country.

Post edited

Note from mod: Please take care to post in proper English & use Capital letters where required.
BornFree2009-12-09 17:08:35

What happens if one accidentally double cranks the engine? Is there serious damage? This can commonly happen in heavy traffic(stop and start) and sometimes we cannot hear that engine is already on. I think only few cars like LENIA have double crank prevention system. 

Yes the Swifts driving position is sporty and spot on. It has the best front seat under this side of 10lakhs .

Yesterday I double cranked my i20 CRDi and I am now scared ,the car is just too quiet inspite being a diesel .