karan_4n

Maximum Speed

Do Cars/bikes ever reach the maximum speed to which the speedometer is made for?

I was sitting with a maruti engineer last evening and he said "yes you can reach the maximum speeds given on your speedo, all you need is a clean straight strech."

Do automobiles ever touch the maximum speed limit that they are provided with on their speedometers?

If yes then in What conditions?

If no then why are they provided with such extended limits?

Why is an Automobile given with such speedometer speed limits which it never even touches throughout its life span??

It differs from different car eg the audi a4 can reach the end of the speedo it given a streach where as the Fabia with 220kmph is funny it can hardly reach 150kmph , they have kept the european speedomater in fabia but there they have more powerful engines ,my zen has 160kmph were as I have managed 140kmph it won't go  more faster than that.

I touched 130kph on our Indigo LS (May 2004)and would have crossed 150kph if the Bike Rider would have not come across. I did not get chance to try after that event.

I crossed 180kph on Indigo XL Grand DiCOR on Pune-Mumbai Expressway.

In fact I wanted to try more, but was restricted by the Tyres' Speed Rating. The Speed Rating for 175/65R14 Tubeless is "T" (Which means Max. Speed allowed is 190kph). So I did not try more than 180kph (Speedo Indicated).

THE SPEEDOMETER LIMIT FOR ALL DIESEL INDIGOS IS 180KPH.

Yes Winner,

The Non-Common-Rail ones Struggle for Speed.

I could touch Speedometer Limit because of DiCOR (Common-Rail) Engine.

180 is an Indigo Dicor??????????? Wow i thot that car would fall apart at that speed!

Sorry I did not see the car Fall Apart when I touched the 180kph on Pune-Mumbai Expressway in Tata Indigo XL Grand DiCOR. smiley36.gif

Only very very few cars can manage to touch the max speed as per the speedo meter. This is restricted to very premium cars.

Normally cars can touch about about 70 - 80% or in some cases upto 90% of the speedo max speed. Max speedo speed is a big hoax played by all auto makers through out the world and all speedos normally show 5-10% extra speed.

i had taken my new zen upto the max limit of 160' date=' but again i had headers intalled to it and my right hand lights had been removed..!!!

i even tried to take my skoda laura to the max but it wudn go more dan 195..!!!

[/quote']

If you mod the car, then the speedo may naturally be inadequate. I have been driving for 30+ years in India as well as Europe I am still to see a car which overruns its speedo.

Modern cars have rev limiters in the ECU so you will never reach this, unless you mod the car.

most cars don't reach max b'cause all most all cars n bikes have false speedometer..hence use of GPS for speed calculations as done by experts can be used for checking the speed.

Most cars struggle to reach maximum but yesterday I saw a video of a Volvo bus on it's maximum speed 140 and the driver was flipping it like a racing bike.

There is not a single road in India were you can cruise above 100

100?? I would bring it down to 60-70 as avg.

Secondly like an open truth i guess everyone know that their vehicle does not have the ability to beat the speedo however my guess is that manufacturers use the speedo as a eye candy and feel good factor that adds more definition and thats it.

when the dashboard is lit up seeing those absurd numbers 200,220,260 so on lit up makes one feel good i guess.

(Surely does for me) so my hunch is as above.

Imagine a car with a speedometer that only goes to 110 kph.  You think...this is a crappy underpowered car..without ever giving thought about the maximum legal limit being some 100 kph.  That's the marketing side...fast and fancy fantasy.  On the other side, with such a speedometer the needle would peg on the right side making it a bit uncomfortable to see.  

Speedometers are electonic units these days, earlier speedos were analog units i.e. the speedo cable was connected to a gear assembly within the unit with a oil damper for the indicator needle, these readouts were always with a margin of error, the units are expensive to make and hence I guess each manufacturer would be ordering a unit specific for that engine car configuration and with every new model of that engine car configuration rather that going for a complete new unit the calibrated face and external design may be changed while the expensive parts remain the same, in my view this may be the reason for the extensively calibarated speedos.

180 is an Indigo Dicor??????????? Wow i thot that car would fall apart at that speed!

Sorry I did not see the car Fall Apart when I touched the 180kph on Pune-Mumbai Expressway in Tata Indigo XL Grand DiCOR. smiley36.gif

How was the driving experience in terms of road grip, stability etc?

I have 2007 Maruti 800 AC. Though it has max speed in speedo to upto 140 KMPH, but I could manage to take to 120 KMPH on Delhi Agra highway with AC ON with 4 people seating in with two soft bags in the boot.
Sstar2011-11-17 06:12:20

I have New WagonR with ABS, between Navsari-Surat, i manage to reach 120km/hr, but by Toyota Liva vx, in Mumbai-Pune express highway easily 140km/hr...comparing both cars RPM at speed above 100km/hr, its huge difference...Liva wins against wagonR...