ROYM5

Overpricing Of Honda Cars

Honda cars are definately overprised... but then honda in india has it own market. The choice is completely personal. Its your decission whether to get one or not. No one is forcing to get this overprised car. And words like Hartal and Revenge can't do a sh*t to the Hondas.

Please be cool Bingo. Time will prove what sh*t can the Indian customers do as revenge to Honda for stealing from our pockets.

There is a saying that "One can make someone fool for sometime but none can make everyone fools forever".

So dear friend come down to earth from the fools' heaven.
jimgeo2009-07-25 07:35:50

honda has to do what they did to civic hybrid to all their models that they sell across india' date=' i personally like and love all honda cars but their attitude towards indian customers is making me hate them,i would have bought the city if they had priced it a lakh lesser, currently if i get a city and add a fog lamp(17k) and honda alloy wheels(11k per wheel) to it the on road price in blore comes to more than 10.5 lakhs. there are also news that city is going to get an upgrade and a V trim in th enext couple of months, and that there is going to be a price hike after the upgrade.i am not sure what they are thinking about indian customers. Are they not feeling the heat from the customers, cant we write to them or do something about it?

[/quote']

Upgrade ? isn't it a new model only 8,9 months old. What about people who have already bought thinking it will last at least 3, 4 years ?

Honda cars are definately overprised... but then honda in india has it own market. The choice is completely personal. Its your decission whether to get one or not. No one is forcing to get this overprised car. And words like Hartal and Revenge can't do a sh*t to the Hondas.

Please be cool Bingo. Time will prove what sh*t can the Indian customers do as revenge to Honda for stealing from our pockets.

There is a saying that "One can make someone fool for sometime but none can make everyone fools forever".

So dear friend come down to earth from the fools' heaven.

I can only laugh at all this talk about Hartaal and Revenge and what not!

If you love having Pani Puri chat in TAJ just because its exclusive, and if you have money, GO FOR IT!! its worth the money you pay!!! Its the TAJ you are experiencing!!

The same Pani Puri maybe much better in taste can be bought from a road side shop as well and enjoyed to the fullest!! That does not make TAJ a bad company!!!

@ Sharash: Do you go to TAJ only because it has Magic Seats that can be folded easily and can be converted into a garage to accommodate some junk into it?

What else the Jazz has so special?

Jazz is just like an ordinary pani puri sold by street merchants. Don't compare it with the one we get in Taj. The one we get in Taj can be compared to a Merc A Class.

Since you are in Australia like me you might be knowing the price and class of Jazz and other Honda vehicles in Australia. If you dont know here is the link:

Just compare the features with that of the ones we get in India. The base 1.3 GLi model is priced @AUD 16990/- which is roughly around 6.5 Lakh Rupees.

Now you can laugh by admitting that Indians are being made fools.

I am sorry if I have hurt anyone's feelings. By being an Indian I don't like the MNCs cheating Indians. Thats the only feeling which prompted me to reply. Jaago Grahak Jaagosmiley20.gif

Just compare the features with that of the ones we get in India. The base 1.3 GLi model is priced @AUD 16990/- which is roughly around 6.5 Lakh Rupees.

I am sorry if I have hurt anyone's feelings. By being an Indian I don't like the MNCs cheating Indians. Thats the only feeling which prompted me to reply. Jaago Grahak Jaagosmiley20.gif

thnks for that excellent critique and price comparison. naturally, Honda (and other car cos.) blame high govt. taxes for these prices, conveniently ignoring the labour offset of manufacturing or assembling these cars in India (which is why Hyundai uses this as a base for export, or why TATA can make the world's cheapest car).

fact is that this is a convenient arrangement. the car cos and the Indian govt both rip off the people of this country. problem is, there are enough uninformed and ignorant people out there. let's hope they're reading this.

Which high taxes? Honda is enjoying reduced excise duty on Jazz applicable for small cars and have priced it even more than other Sedans.

On Jazz launch, some Honda big shot from Japan said that hatches cost more to produce, so by this logic their City should be priced lower than Jazz and Dzire should cost less than Swift?????  eh......

Does Honda company thinks Indian customer are fools???

I dont agree, with most of the responses in this thread about Overpriced Honda cars.I believe, the prices of most of the Honda cars are quite legitimate, especially with the kind of technology they provide in thier cars. Only Toyota comes close to Honda, in terms of providing that technology.People, understand this: Technology has its price, and therefore the premium , customers pay. I mean, Japanese auto manufactures are best in making petrol engines, Honda and Toyota are the first ones in our automobile market that integrated thier engines with technologies like : VTEC, VLIM....etc. I believe, Honda was the first one that integrated VTEC in thier City car , way back. I had seen, a Toyota Corolla with VLIM. So, the point is : With advanced Technology, thier is additional price.

The truth of the matter is --and what im about to say may be an inconvenient truth!-- most of those who say that Honda cars are overpriced may well know how to drive thier cars. But, if someone were to ask them to pop thier cars hood, and ask them about basic things like: where the water pump, oil pump, the accumulator etc are located?, the look on thier faces will be of complete surpise, a look of complete ignorance--except those automobile engineers , or scientists like sqiitk--. Same, response, if someone were to ask them: what happens under the hood of the car, when you turn the ignition key to the time exhuast gases are released from exhuaust ?, again the same look of ignorance. So, unless you know about the former, You cannot understand technologies like VTEC[ Variable Valve timing], VLIM[Variable Length Intake Manifold], 3-way Cataylitic Converter etc.., . And since, most here, neither cannot understand these technologies nor imagine their working. They cannot appreciate , these technologies , and thier associated worth. They are worth a premium!

I dont mean to brag, that i know in depth knowledge of each of these technology stuff. Nor im an engineer that can fix any car problem, but i like to keep myself aware of what goes under the hood of the car i drive, and that knowledge enables me to pinpoint a problem area , if my car breaks down, to an extent. And the added bonus is, that im able to understand , imagine the worth of these technologies.

@ritedhawan - so why are they selling this wonderful premium technology at a lower prices in other markets then?

also, by your definition, if the 'Japanese auto manufacturers are the best in making petrol engines', why not price their cars higher than Bentleys or Mercedes?

Honda City used to be in range of 7-8.5 lacs till 2008. Then came ANHC which brought it to 8.5-10 .5 range. Honda is surely milking the customers. Even the Accord is now touching 20 lacs range . I remember it used to be 13-15 lacs range when launched 1st.

As a true auto enthusiast i would totally agree with most of the comments.

NHC was the big reason to prove Honda badge's reputation In India. We call Linea underpowered and we still ended up buying 77bhp NHC - only '+' in it was interiors , space and mileage.

Fiat better improve its A.S.S. at the earliest , its got a fat chance of increasing Linea sales. Toyota wake up and get Vios here!!

@karanraheja : I agree and i even mentioned this in my earlier post, even Civic S was priced well when it was launched but later they discontinued it and launched the E variant at almost the same price.

@rkarthik : It is the current City with the chrome grill and fog lamps which come as accessories.

smiley3.gifTHIS IS IN RESPONSE TO ritedhawan

We all know that honda has some of best petrol motors featuring technologies like iVTEC. But don't ignore the tecnologies of other manufacturers. Look at FIAT's MULTIJET,  RITZ's 1.2 or even HYUNDAI's KAPPA. All these are also very good technologies in their respective segments. Look at the Hyundai i10's old iRDE and KAPPA price difference. A minor amount of Rs.25,000. That makes a good technology addition which is also cost effective.

The mening of technology, technology upgradition and new & different technology are worth if it endeavours for the brand to remain in competition and endeavours for providing the mankind some better things in every body approach and budgets. The Engineers all over the world always keep work on this theme. The car engine is not a medical equipments or life saving equipments. There is a lot of and tough competition in Automobile markets. I feel all the technologies by different brands are at par with each other. The evidence is that the customers of brands other than honda costomers rarely go to garage/ automobile mechanics. Yes all the customers including honda customers go for scheduled servicing of vehicles. The Statement " HONDA GIVES THE BEST TECHNOLOGY FOR PETROL ENGINES AND HENCE THE HIGH PRICE IS JUSTIFIED" is not a justified statement because the other manufacturers are not selling scrap. ofcourse they also have smooth engines and best technology.

When Hyundai can make India as their global manufacturing hub to male & sell cars such as i20, Santro, and other models to european and south african countries, using this same reason they could have concocted a "price-rise" theory like Honda India and sold their cars at Honda's price points. But over the years Hyundai have learnt that simply overpricing a car and downsizing its features wont make it sell. Honda is getting away with its pricing only because its market is limited to metros, and maybe a single dealership in tier 2 cities. Whereas Hyundai is next to Maruti in position 2 compared to A.s.s and no of dealerships across the country.

Regarding Honda technologies, its another gimmick.

Toyota has VVT-i, Hyundai has VTVT, BMW has VANOS, and the same for all VW group companies. Valve timing technology is not new. Honda may boast about VTEC, being superior to all other camshaft phasing systems, but its not true. In america all of Toyota's models outsell the Honda at the same price point. Not because of Toyota boasting of mid -80's valvetrain technology,like HOnda in INdia but because it enjoys reputation of being highly reliable way more than HONDA. vr.462009-07-26 08:22:24

@ Sharash: Do you go to TAJ only because it has Magic Seats that can be folded easily and can be converted into a garage to accommodate some junk into it?

What else the Jazz has so special?

Jazz is just like an ordinary pani puri sold by street merchants. Don't compare it with the one we get in Taj. The one we get in Taj can be compared to a Merc A Class.

Since you are in Australia like me you might be knowing the price and class of Jazz and other Honda vehicles in Australia. If you dont know here is the link:

Dude! Do you know how much a Chevy Cruze is getting priced in India and How much does it cost in Australia? All companies which are not Indian / do not have a Indian manufacturing unit definately come under the scanner of Indian Taxes. Jazz is no exception for that matter Honda is no exception. Its taxed heavily and the tax is directly passed on to the customer!!

That does not make Honda a bad company is what i am talking about!!!!Name me one company who is producing cars not to make money??? Hondas are trusted in India and hence they are bought even if they are priced in premium!! and i am not comparing a Honda with a Merc!! I am comparing companies which have their manufacturing bases in India with the ones which do not have them!!

If Honda has to think of setting up one in India and reducing its prices then people have to be dissatisfied with their customer service or car quality which is not the case!! Hondas are churning out the best technologies into India and that would cost them more until they are not manufacturing them in India!!!

@ akj53in : Honda Jazz does not fall into the small car bracket. Its taxed similar to the Sedans in India.

sharash2009-07-26 09:03:21

Dear Sarash, When posting in an elite forum like this please do a minimum home work about the things you are going to mention. Its not  a forum for just blah blah. Facts and figures are very important since the members are not fools or ignorant about cars and the Indian market.

According to my knowledge Chevrolet has not yet launched Cruze in India. Its launched in Australia recently. The exshowroom price is AUD20990/- which is roughly 8Lakh rupees. Lets wait and see what will be its price in India when it is launced in India.

Do you still believe that Honda is importing all the cars sold in India from Japan? In the case of Jazz, it is manufactured at Honda's plant in Greater Noida. 77% of its parts are locally manufactured.

The length of Jazz is only 3900mm and the engine capacity is 1198cc. It satisfies both the conditions for a rebate in excise duty for small cars.I dont understand which super tax scanner is applicable only to Honda?

I have never mentioned Honda a bad company. Their technology also is not bad but not the greatest. Only their pricing policy in India is wrong when compared to that in other countries.

I agree with you in only one fact that no company makes car for charity. It is business and profit is not a bad term. Without profit no business can survive. But in Honda's case they are squeezing out the maximum profit before they face real competition in Indian market. In other words they are "making the hay while the sun shines".
jimgeo2009-07-26 10:17:48

Chevy Cruze is not launched in India mate, but the price expectation of this car is about 11.5-13 Lakhs! That was mentioned in similar forums or You can also refer to http://www.carwale.com/research/upcoming-18-chevrolet_cruze.html

Regarding the taxation rules you are right in mentioning that the small  car rule applies to cars within 4 mts and engine at less than the Jazz engine. I was wrong about that since i was looking at the specifications of Jazz in Australia.

Hondas always had the price much above the competetion in India. Its not new, but why are people now making such a big hue and cry and talking about Hartaal i dont understand.

You really cant compare other contries prices with prices of cars in India.

The amount of traffic on this topic clearly shows that many of the members find Hondas inspirational and highly desirable but beyond their budgets!

Looks like a case of sour grapes to me!

The amount of traffic on this topic clearly shows that many of the members find Hondas inspirational and highly desirable but beyond their budgets!

I look forward to reading most of sgiitk's posts. Clearly well informed and far more knowledgeable than me, he has provided helpful advice on several occasions, for which I remain grateful.

I find it even more disturbing, therefore, that he should be so willing to infer the socio-economic position of members of this forum without adequate information. Most strange...

I find it even more disturbing' date=' therefore, that he should be so willing to infer the socio-economic position of members of this forum without adequate information. Most strange...

[/quote']

Look at my earlier post - If you find Honda too expensive do not buy it. I wrote,"You always have the option to vote with your chequebook!"

. You do not have to shout yourself hoarse about it.

Seven years ago I did not buy a Honda for two reasons - non-availability of service locally, and price. Only the 1.3 was within my budget. The reputation of the Lucknow dealer was also not great. Now there is a local dealership. In a year or so I may buy one.

Experience is the greatest teacher.

I have wondered why a great man like Sgiitk who knows more about technology than any other forum member  settled down to buying two Hyundais when there were the so called inspirational and desirable brands available in the market.

Now I understood the reason. He has experienced the sour taste earlier than the other forum members and made the right decision by voting with his cheque book. Congrats. You are a visionary who thinks ahead of  the time.
jimgeo2009-07-27 11:02:23

HEY diablo37989 , my dear friend , if the person we know as sgiitk  on Autocar India forum has got 4 star rating & a special License, then it means he have wide & deep knowledge about technology..........

Please read his all posts with full concentration then try to find about his suggestions & meanings of those posts.......... by your comments it seems that you are not reading full post & show reaction just after reading first one or two lines.....

What's in Honda just Quality......

ok let me ask Other Autocar members ????

1. Do you feel that in past 10 years Honda motors Improve their technology as compared to Maruti Suzuki & Hyundai India.

2. Do you people don

I find it even more disturbing' date=' therefore, that he should be so willing to infer the socio-economic position of members of this forum without adequate information. Most strange...

[/quote']

Look at my earlier post - If you find Honda too expensive do not buy it. I wrote,"You always have the option to vote with your chequebook!"

. You do not have to shout yourself hoarse about it.

Seven years ago I did not buy a Honda for two reasons - non-availability of service locally, and price. Only the 1.3 was within my budget. The reputation of the Lucknow dealer was also not great. Now there is a local dealership. In a year or so I may buy one.

I would definitely buy a Honda if i have the money! I would not type in a forum whining that they are overpriced, expensive and i would start a hartaal or strike in front of Honda showroom.

Its the matter of choice and as sgiitk said, "Vote with your cheque book" .

Response to lovemycar:

I didnt know that, the number of posts qualifies a person on this forum deference rather than the quality of the posts!!?. The opposite is true.

To your first question : I counter with a question, Hasn't Honda's attempts at integrating technologies in thier cars ,head and shoulders above MSIL?.

To me it is. One instance will be suffice: its going be a decade since the time Honda integrated VTEC in the City car they brought in this market. MSIL has now integrated VTVT that to in 2.4 L Grand Vitara.