ROYM5

Overpricing Of Honda Cars

Reading this thread, its now a showdown between Honda versus Suzuki.Maybe suzuki is a good, inexpensive car maker in india and other countries, Its Honda badge that truly outshines Suzuki in all developed countries.Till date no japanese car company can give such efficient engines along with superior build quality which are way more upmarket than Suzuki and Toyota. for those who want to cannibalize Honda, let me tell you something really important. Since we own 14 cars of which there's a Honda City GXi (2004 model), its fit and finish are way more better made compared to our 2008 Maruti Suzuki Dzire ZDi, 2007 Hyundai Verna CRDi, 2008 Maruti SX4 VXi.And its engine though some say underpowered due to 77bhp, but its adequate for Indian conditions and is hyper fuel efficient. It has crossed 10,000km (as it is sparingly used) and is a superb VFM sedan, true to the Honda badge. Reliable and refinement are the key strenghts of Honda.Just love to drive my Honda City GXi over our Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LS sedan.Yes Maruti just introduced Variable geometry technology in new 2.4 Grand vitara VTVT. swiftvxi062009-07-27 13:15:11

Look at my earlier post - If you find Honda too expensive do not buy it. I wrote' date='"You always have the option to vote with your chequebook!"

. You do not have to shout yourself hoarse about it.

[/quote']

I did read your earlier post. In fact, if lovemycar had himself been reading the posts thoroughly rather than instructing me to do it, he would have found my reply on page 1 of this particular subject, where I have in fact quoted you verbatim.

I think that whether or not people want to shout themselves hoarse about it is upto them. You don't need to listen if you don't want to. But I also think, and have said so earlier in this forum, that it is not for any member here, no matter how senior or knowledgeable, to presume to know the economic strength or weakness of fellow members. That, in my opinion, is just poor manners.

diablo379892009-07-27 14:07:53

The amount of traffic on this topic clearly shows that many of the members find Hondas inspirational and highly desirable but beyond their budgets!

Looks like a case of sour grapes to me!

Your comment is in poor taste. Do you think that people with 'budget' either have no technical knowledge or they simply dont bother to evaluate or comment on a product before buying.

Honda cars are definately overprised... but then honda in india has it own market. The choice is completely personal. Its your decission whether to get one or not. No one is forcing to get this overprised car. And words like Hartal and Revenge can't do a sh*t to the Hondas.

Please be cool Bingo. Time will prove what sh*t can the Indian customers do as revenge to Honda for stealing from our pockets.

There is a saying that "One can make someone fool for sometime but none can make everyone fools forever".

So dear friend come down to earth from the fools' heaven.

@ jimgeo - i don't think all the honda owners in India are fools to go ahead and pay the so called "premium" when they buy a honda product. For me looks and engine come first. so however VFM the ALTIS may look to offer its not going to give me the satisfaction that I would get by driving the CIVIC. As put by some of the Auto Journalist in US I consider Altis to be the "perfectly boring car" and note these are not my words.

Its absolutely question of taste and what a particular customer gets satisfied with.
The VTEC guy2009-07-27 18:02:26

I did not want to hurt anybody's feelings here.. you are free to express your dissatisfaction on the exorbitant honda prices. To all honda owners and lovers I just want to say its a pleasure to drive a honda. And all those who don't agree, you have number of "value for money" cars to choose from.   

I did not want to hurt anybody's feelings here.. you are free to express your dissatisfaction on the exorbitant honda prices. To all honda owners and lovers I just want to say its a pleasure to drive a honda. And all those who don't agree' date=' you have number of "value for money" cars to choose from.   [/quote']

Thats BINGO!

I did not want to hurt anybody's feelings here.. you are free to express your dissatisfaction on the exorbitant honda prices. To all honda owners and lovers I just want to say its a pleasure to drive a honda. And all those who don't agree' date=' you have number of "value for money" cars to choose from.   [/quote']

agreed 100% with you BINGO. when it comes to sheer driving pleasure of honda, nothing can come remotely close to this for the exhilarting experience it offers. honda's engine begs to be revved in order to enjoy it to the fullest. few engines come closer to the same.

honda has gained this reputation by launching excellent product time and again. the legacy goes back to old honda city - 1.3 and 1.5 which were hoot to drive and is still the most desirable sedan to own if one wants speed. also a dream car for modding too.

right from the start they made sure they stayed ahead of the segment by providing segment buster piece of machinery be it city, civic, crv. for those who say civic being outsold by altis, agreed, but civic is due for update soon just like toyota had to bring in altis in order to counter attack civic's bull dozing of old corolla. as of now crv is sold as cbu that too is order from outside of country only if you pay full amount and that too waiting time is 1 month or more for delivery. so people prefer other readily available suv's 

as for city it has been the leader in its segment since its launch some 10 years ago and still there is no perfect car that has been able to match performance, efficiency, reliability, looks, space of a city. there is always an option of opting for other vfm sedans but for others the joy of owning and driving a honda is an experience in itself. even if one has to pay a lakh premium for it the piece of mind it offers is hard to match by others.

just a question related to overpricing and vfm thing.  

a bmw 7 series and a mercedes s class cost more than a lexus ls series. why? not because the precision in engineering, it is there in all three. its the brand equity of bmw and mercedes that they have built over the years help them price it at this point all along providing excellent all round cars that covers all areas like performance, ride, handling, oomph factor, status. if given a choice, how many would buy a ls430 over an s500?

same goes for honda. having owned a sx4 and a honda city, i can easily vouch to say that suzuki has a long way to go before they can think of competing with honda. same goes for fiat, they need to fix their a.s.s asap as well as bring some powerful engines for linea. the current 1.3 mjd just doesn't cut the cake. its too damn underpowered to haul such a heavyweight. also they need to take care of quality niggles that seems to plaging the punto and linea. unless they don't fix this they should continue selling 900 lineas a month and nothing more.

this post is not to offend anybody and sorry for the long post.
deathrace2009-07-27 20:00:36

Let me qualify my statements.

Any firm is in business to maximise their profits. At present Honda have a relatively small operation running at about full capacity. So they price accordingly (the maximum the market can bear). Due to the economic crisis they have put the second plant (in Rajasthan) on hold. If this was also running and/or sales were low then they will try to be price competitive.

As for Technology who can forget the CVCC, which at one time was the only engine to meet US regulations without adding the proverbial kitchen sink to the exhaust. Incidentally, it featured in the very first Honda car (civic) to be sold in the US.

Regarding value for money everyone has his own equation. Otherwise there is no rationale for the Merc A series, etc. @deathrace has very nicely taken the case of the Three Pointed Star, Propeller and the Lexus!

As one gets older one tends to look at more luxury, hassle free maintenance, image, etc and costs start becoming less important. So the balance shifts.This to many will amount to poor value for money in their perspective. Both are entirely correct in their own framework.

As count Enzo used to say,"A Ford howsoever done up can never be a Ferrari". A higher end brand is a higher end brand.

Reading the majority viewpoints above and having purchased the ANHC AT in April this year one would basically feel that it was not a good decision to buy a car which is considered expensive and has limited features for its price.However the driving pleasure is of utmost comfort compared with a Hyundai before, so also the design and the space within the car.

Havent brands always had a price tag attached to them, from cars to watches to apparels to footwear, I beleive its a very personal choice of what price one is willing to associate with a brand and then pay for it. Would Honda sell more at a lower price, sure they would and the company also knows that, the issue is do they want to sell those many numbers or keep up the exclusivity of the brand to a limited few. Same goes for other products, at times the company strategy is limited exclusivity, if that was not the case everyone would sport a rolex and drive a ferrari

@sgiitk - typically, well written and well qualified, and there is no disputing your point of view.

my grouse is not with Honda tech, but with Honda marketing in India. when the 2nd gen city was launched, the Honda sales people met with me and quoted INR 10 lacs for the vehicle, on road, Mumbai. without airbags. were they optional? no. I was willing to pay extra. er, no again, they were just not on offer. but, I said, you sell a better specced car in Thailand for less? er, maybe sir, but though we don't have airbags, said the youngest, you are getting the Honda badge. at which point, the other sales people quickly shut him up.

what does the Honda badge do, I mused, in case of a head on collision? inflate magically?

my feedback to this sales team and to Honda was to go back and offer Indians what you are offering everyone else and at the same prices. that argument remains today. and that's the reason Honda India lost me as a customer. my point is that there are more criteria to selecting or critiquing a car than just a bank balance.

diablo379892009-07-28 12:25:19

I think the debate is pointless, as forum members have very strong views on their 'favourite' or 'not-so-favourite' car. Both views have some merit and no car is perfect in the world. Further every user evaluates a car / brand as per his choice of factors (which matters most to him) so a different point of view does not appeal to him.

It is like 'DULHAN WAHI JO PIYA MAN BHAAYE'

Men are a strange breed. In a restaurant we normally regret our order after seeing what is on the other fellow's plate. Most men also find all other wives better than their own. smiley1.gif  But very few will regret their choice of car.

So let us put this debate to rest.

The question was whether the Honda cars are overpriced - and the answer is yes. No point in paying 1.5 lakhs premium whatever technology it has as it doesn't give 1.5 times or 2 times the mileage other cars can give.

I have taken TD of Jazz and ANHC and certainly they are good but not worth the premium.

Hats off to Maruti for getting features like Airbags, ABS, Alloys, Automatic Climate Control at lesser price than Honda. It is surprising that Honda still doesnt give ACC and Alloys inspite of the 1.5 lakh premium.

To answer someone's opinion whether it is a case of sour grapes - anwer is no - I could certainly afford it but decided to go for Linea Diesel as it gives better mileage and has better features.

Honda sells because of its brand name. It is much cooler to say "I drive a Honda" than "I drive a Fiat".

Dude how can you relate a car and food? Your post is point less, tomorrow you will relate a car with an elephant. Spending rs 1000 and rs 900000 is making a lot of difference. I dont know if you are too much rich that you cannot make difference with a car and food .
If you buy a newly arrived pizza worth rs 500 and if its taste is not good its ok !! Next time you will not buy it .
But if you spend 9lakh rupees on a newly arrived car without knowing anything about it then i think you the biggest phool in this world !!

Note from Admin: Watch your SMS language, it is against the rules of the forum. I've corrected some of it this time.
FuelRunGod2009-07-28 21:08:23

The Honda City's pricetag is the value that Honda thinks a customer will pay for it. Are they wrong? With the Citys I see everyday, I certainly don't think so. Just because the price isn't right, doesn't mean the car is bad. Honda very well knows what sort of brand image they have here.

I have the first generation City myself, but I didn't buy it new. Simply because it wasn't within my budget then and even now it isn't. But I still went ahead and bought a seven year old City. The bottom line is if I had to buy a petrol and I could afford a City, I would go for it. But practically I can't because of the price and also that I require a diesel only.

Value for money is not the same for everyone and nor is it the primary factor in buying a car. A car is more than just its pricetag. I'd like to end by saying that we should learn to appreciate the views of everyone.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-07-28 21:16:08

The question was whether the Honda cars are overpriced - and the answer is yes. No point in paying 1.5 lakhs premium whatever technology it has as it doesn't give 1.5 times or 2 times the mileage other cars can give.

I have taken TD of Jazz and ANHC and certainly they are good but not worth the premium.

Hats off to Maruti for getting features like Airbags' date=' ABS, Alloys, Automatic Climate Control at lesser price than Honda. It is surprising that Honda still doesnt give ACC and Alloys inspite of the 1.5 lakh premium.

To answer someone's opinion whether it is a case of sour grapes - anwer is no - I could certainly afford it but decided to go for Linea Diesel as it gives better mileage and has better features.

Honda sells because of its brand name. It is much cooler to say "I drive a Honda" than "I drive a Fiat".
[/quote']

So if you pay 1.5 Lakhs extra for a car, you expect it to give a 1.5 to 2 times more mileage than the cheaper car is it? Sorry if i could not understand this!!

I was thinking by this rule, Hummer would cost waaay more than Honda city, I wonder if it gives me 100kms per gallon.. Hmmmm.. :)

You are right  in saying "Honda sells because of its brand name. It is much cooler to say "I drive a Honda" than "I drive a Fiat"." and for some people thats all what matters.

If driving/owning a Honda makes good sense to me considering i want to be coool when i say "I drive a Honda" i should be able to ignore the premium i pay!!

Its all the matter of personal choice as i said earlier!!
sharash2009-07-29 00:55:20

Nothing matches Honda's petrol motors in India, their cars are bristling with new Tech. & are packaged well. Further Honda provides a headache free A.S.S. All these factors & relative lack of competition dictates Honda's pricing strategy.

Of late competition has woken up to Honda but still seems in awe of it!

As far as Im concerned, I have bought Honda's in the past, could buy them again but similar to FRG, Im more inclined towards diesels for now.
speed2009-07-29 09:31:10

So if you pay 1.5 Lakhs extra for a car' date=' you expect it to give a 1.5 to 2 times more mileage than the cheaper car is it? Sorry if i could not understand this!!

I was thinking by this rule, Hummer would cost waaay more than Honda city, I wonder if it gives me 100kms per gallon.. Hmmmm.. :)

[/quote']

I am discussing only about cars in the same segment. In India when we buy car in C segment we are still thinking about FE. I don't find any reason for paying 1.5 lakh extra for Honda as it doesn't give better FE or better features.

Exactly. Everyone has his own judgement on this. smiley1.gif

Also, FRG if you can get someone to do an age profiling of the posts in this topic you will find a distinct difference between preferences of the younger and older members. I expect that it is the older lot which votes for Honda.

Nothing matches Honda's petrol motors in India' date=' their cars are bristling with new Tech. & are packaged well. Further Honda provides a headache free A.S.S. All these factors & relative lack of competition dictates Honda's pricing strategy.

Of late competition has woken up to Honda but still seems in awe of it!

As far as Im concerned, I have bought Honda's in the past, could buy them again but similar to FRG, Im more inclined towards diesels for now.
[/quote']

Not sure I agree completely - the engines are definitely good but as a package the ANHC lacks good quality plastics, climate control and alloys.

Regarding A.S.S. also in TeamBHP there have been many complaints.

After all an automobile is a mass produced item. If you look around you will find complaints about all brands. I think in the early days of this forum there was a big noise about the Propeller A$$. I am sure a search will throw up threads somewhere about the Rolls and Bentley as well. The issue is the general level of satisfaction!

After all an automobile is a mass produced item. If you look around you will find complaints about all brands. I think in the early days of this forum there was a big noise about the Propeller A$$. I am sure a search will throw up threads somewhere about the Rolls and Bentley as well. The issue is the general level of satisfaction!

Just wanted @speed to realize that it is not headache free for everyone smiley4.gif

Honda might have got horrified with so many european brands like VW entering India with small car plans SO SOON  & this has prompted them to price their cars heavily so that their cars look top of the knotch quality....

Infact, they would have actually got surprised to see sales exceeding their own expectations.

IF VW prices their Cars wisely, they can give Honda a run.............since VW is now only Second largest manufacturer across the world now....

Just wanted @speed to realize that it is not headache free for everyone smiley4.gif

As Sgiitk Sir pointed out, its a generalized view! There are bound to be some niggles here & there, noting is perfect/ideal!

Also, compare Honda to other manufacturers & the level/quantum of problems is far less.

I had my own problems with Honda but they were much amplified with other brands.

When I mentioned packaging, I wasn't referring to features, accessories, etc. It was more to do with the car as a whole in regards to engine, body, style, shape & FE. Otherwise also if Honda is able to find buyers in plenty for its meagerly kitted cars, why should it loose money on supplying additional features then!

I'll again repeat, when it comes to petrol cars, Honda is Numero Uno in India.Period.

Not sure I agree completely - the engines are definitely good but as a package the ANHC lacks good quality plastics, climate control and alloys.

If you find anhc lacking good quality plastics than what would you say about linea? imho, plastics of linea are far worse in fit and finish compared to plastics of anhc.

about the complaints of a.s.s. that's debatable. the foremost reason is, we have to consider the number of complaints to the number of cars sold.

here is an eg, maruti sells more cars compared to skoda. the number of complaints relative to numbers sold by maruti is less compared to skoda. that's why skoda is facing the wrath of customer for its bad a.s.s. if you don't believe me check team-bhp for the same. this is just an eg, you can take honda instead of maruti and the result would be the same