v9corp

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

The cheapest diesel automatic sedan would be the Verna CRDi Auto. Other than that you have the option of the Scorpio Automatic as well. Both are around your budget.FRG

Sorry, but the prices for Scorpio VLX-A/T and Verna A/T

are above his Budget of 8 Lakhs.

Hyundai Verna Pricelist says that Verna 1.5 SX CRDi VGT A/T price is Rs.9,07,531/- Ex-showroom Mumbai.

Mahindra Scorpio Pricelsit says that Mahindra Scorpio VLX A/T price is 9,76,200/- Mumbai(Don't know whether its Ex-showroom or On-road price)

Rs.1lac difference is very much!

There are very less diesel auto cars available in your price bracket, Try to stretch it a bit and go for hyundai verna auto, The scorpio is more costly (around Rs.11lac as mentioned in ACI).

If you can't stretch your budget then consider a used diesel from a reputed service such as true value, first choice etc. :)

You can do another thing also, Buy any diesel car of your choice and install a semi automatic transmission in it.

In hatchbacks, You get a choice of 2 auto cars, Thats Hyundai i10 and maruti wagonr, I would suggest the i10 but then both are non-diesels.

Dear friends, thank you all for your replies. I am also considering the following:

Go for a petrol automatic wagonr, i 10 or i 20. Since I am working outside India and hence the car will only be used sparingly in India, what do you all think of going for a petrol car ? Also there seems to be a huge price difference between the petrol automatic I 10 and I 20 ? Does I 20 really have lot of features above I 10 to justify this difference in price ? Also which is a better choice between petrol automatic wagonr, I 10 and I 20 ?

The previous post mentions buying a diesel car and converting it into semi-automatic transmission. What is the difference between a semi-automatic and automatic transmission. Also is it easier to do this conversion and what are the approximate costs ? Is it done by the manufacturer or we have to get the conversion done outside ?

Sorry for my lengthy questions. I am currently working outside India and hence have very limited knowledge of cars in India. Thank you all once again.

Note From Admin: Please don't use other text editors like Word as the tags just don't work with the forum software. Please use the text editor provided by the forum.
FuelRunGod2009-07-26 08:43:18

Why are you considering a diesel if you are only going to be using the car when you are in India. A petrol car fits the bill better in your case.

Forget about the Wagon R, it is a very old car and not a patch on the i10. The i10 is a very good car, it also gets an automatic transmission. The i20 is a much bigger hatchback. If you need the space, go for the i20, otherwise the i10 will do just fine.

The semi-auto devices are aftermarket accessories and some of them work by having an actuator for the clutch. In my opinion, I wouldn't want such things in the car if they are not factory fitted.

FRG

in case you're still looking at a diesel auto, I remember Skoda had an Octavia variant. not sure of costs and availability now tho, you can check with them

there's also a rumour that the new tata indigo may have a diesel auto.

personally, I prefer diesel cars to petrol for India - at least for mumbai. it's no longer about the mileage alone - it's now also about the hours you spend idling your engine in traffic....

Thanks guys. Skoda octavia would be more than 11 lakhs. In that budget its better I feel to go for the Scorpio AT. If Tata Indigo has a new diesel AT, that would be fantastic (though we dont know if that's going to happen for sure). A surprising thing I noted is that very few cars in India have A/T while its the excact opposite outside India.

I don't think Tata is coming with an automatic any time soon. The Skoda Octavia Auto is not sold anymore.

The reason for few automatics is that in our country fuel efficiency gets priority, if the car isn't fuel efficient, it will not sell. Most automatics are not as fuel efficient as their manual cousins, hence there is low demand for such cars. It is only recently that manufacturers have started giving auto options on their cars in the lower end price brackets.

FRG

Even if it is coming, there are no dates confirmed. This will be Tata's first attempt at an automatic, so I would probably adopt a wait and watch policy to see how the car is doing in the market. Just to let them iron out the bugs.

FRG