winner48

Proton looks to enter India

Protons are nothing much to write home about. These cars are plasticky and are not much popular here. The only place they are sold in high numbers are in Malaysia since the big names like Hondas, Toyotas are charged with more than 200% import duty in Malaysia which would make them very very expensive to buy. I would not give them more chances of succeeding in Indian market.

As a company, Proton's origin is just like our Maruti. It was established in 1983 under the direction of one of the former Prime Ministers of Malaysia. It had technical collaborations with Mitsubishi earlier and then some strategic alliance withVW. But now they are on their own. Their sales in Malaysia is declining rapidly after the govt. reduced the import duty to a maximum of 5%.

Proton is planning to introduce the worlds first "Islamic car". It will feature a compass directing towards Mecca which is the holy place for Muslims and the direction in which they sit for prayer five times a day. The  car will also feature a special storage facility for the cap or veil they use for prayers.

Proton can find a  market  with such gimmicks  and also if they price cheaper they will sell a few hundreds or thousands. The Indian market is highly unpredictable since it has proved to be a fertile land for phased out models and some craps.

Protons are nothing much to write home about. These cars are plasticky and are not much popular here. The only place they are sold in high numbers are in Malaysia since the big names like Hondas' date=' Toyotas are charged with more than 200% import duty in Malaysia which would make them very very expensive to buy. I would not give them more chances of succeeding in Indian market.[/quote']

I too would keep a safe distance from the Proton brand like many other Indians as the company is only of Malaysian standards and not even of Asian levels ! When there are much better makes in the marketplace, why zero upon this product from Malaysia?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

anjan_c20072009-08-07 15:58:53

Dear Sir.

I'm from Malaysian and we're supporting other countries' products such as Suzuki, Tata, Mahindra, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota and all of those cars are good. However, Proton also same with those cars that originally developed together with Mitsubishi, Lotus, Audi, BMW, LG Korea, etc. I do believe that India will love most of our cars because in Malaysia, we have soo big Indian's people that bought Proton's cars. It so spacy, good performance and you can go to www.proton.com. TQ

I too would keep a safe distance from the Proton brand like many other Indians as the company is only of Malaysian standards and not even of Asian levels ! When there are much better makes in the marketplace' date=' why zero upon this product from Malaysia?

[/quote']

Malysia is not a bad or under developed country. It is more developed than our India in many aspects of infrastructure like roads and also in average standard of living. Lots of Indians have been migrated from India to Malaysia to earn a better living even before 70 years.

Proton's technology may not be too bad. They have presence in more countries than our Tata and M&M have. I have seen the pathetic standard of Tata's cars in U.K and Ireland. I was ashamed to admit the fact that this car was manufactured in our country. Now Mahindra is really struggling to find a market in Australia.

So its better for us Indians not to blame products from other countries until we become superior in technology.

@ all asking for pics.

What pics are you talking about? That whole story is pure speculation. If you want to have a look at Proton car pics simply go to their website.

Malaysia is certainly more developed than India in more ways than one. Proton cars are fine, no need to denigrate them. I hope that they do not come in with Mahindra though, since Mahindra is not a great joint venture partner. It started off with Ford, then went to Renault and has shown that it does not always do well with its foreign collaborators. Perhaps, Proton should look for some other partnership or simply come in on its own steam.

Yes my dear friend. I believe Proton and India's company such as Tata or Mahindra can work together to improve our cars and our automotive industry and then we can penetrate together the European, US and middle east's market. We in Malaysia love spicy and curries foods and even although most of us are Muslims's Malay, we love Amitha Batchan, Dato Sharukh Khan, Karisma Kappoor and Mumtaz Mahal. Even, our busses are came from Tata since > 40 years ago. We support India's product.......

I quite like the looks of Savvy. If priced well can be a good seller, but there are already too many established manufacturers who are trying hard to convince buyers with their small cars like GM, Ford, Nissan, etc so will proton go against these buyers is to be seen.

Thank you sir. For your information, Proton's product was/is same with Maruti's product. In Malaysia, Suzuki Swift was compete with Proton Satria Neo and Proton Savvy. For Savvy, it's engine was only 1.2L but it can reach 170km/hr easily. It is the best fuel consumption's car and the safest small car. I believe, with the India's environment, it can attract a lot of customers. TQ

Nizwien,

Are yot sure? Satria Neo & Savvy are in different class.. and Satria is 3 doors hatch. Swift in Malaysia (also 5-doors for both standard 1.5 & 1.6 Sport) on the other hand is considered a Premium Hatch - and definately is not in competition with both Savvy & Satria.

In India, top speed is not the main concern. Things like durability, frugality & ability to withstand the road & traffic condition here. And good after sales service too.