firebonez

newbie plannin to buy a second-hand car needs help

Hi ppl ... i jus got ma licensesmiley10.gif... n i'm plannin to buy a second-hand car. i hav set a budget of Rs 4-5.5 lacs. My major concerns are 1)fuel efficinecy 2)space 3)ride comfort 4)maintenance cost.

I'm a really bulky guy n i'm over 6ft 1inch tall ... so space is a real big concern ... plus it will be used as a family car ....

I first planned to buy a hatchback from maruti ... but recently ma friends said dat i can get a good sedan for my price range ... But im concerned if a sedan wud b expensive 2 maintain n also wud a sedan b as fuel efficient as a hatchback???  ... n shud i go for a diesel or petrol variant (i wont b drivin much initially ...)

i hav narrowed down a few cars ....

1) mahindra-renault logan

2) ford ikon

3) tata indica vista (dunno if i will get a used one soon...)

4) maruti wagon-r

5) zen estilo

i would like 2 know bout dese cars n anyother suggestions .... esp about the maintenance costs n fuel eff. of the sedans ....

so please advise me on wat to buy ???? Thnx in advance!!!! smiley4.gif

hi man, first i would suggest you to go through the rules and regulations of usage of this forum before posting any new topic because usage of sms language is prohibited in this forum.Regarding your requirements , if space and ease of maintenance are your concern then you can go for a 2007 model Mahindra Renault Logan 1.5 DLS(its more spacious than a Toyota Corolla and has superb ride quality) and for that you need to increase your budget a bit more because their are very few diesel Logan's available in the used car market. Fuel efficiency of Logan 1.5 is13.6kmpl(city)/19.3kmpl(highway).Its hard to beat such a vfm package. Ford Fiesta is a good car but its maintenance is way more expensive compared to Logan and its less spacious and cramped as well.swiftvxi062009-08-01 11:34:53

go for the mahindra scropio

as you said that you are tall and the car is going to be used by family

go for the scropio

its a low maintainace car

comfortful car

go for the diesel scropio as you want fuel efficency

Logan would be expensive to maintain (even if Fuel Costs are kept aside for a moment).

Crazy Cat will be able to tell how good smiley18.gif is to maintain a Logan. The Service and Spares Costs are high.

Did I mention the Defensive Service Schedule of Renault?

They (Renault) recommend to change Timing Belt at 60,000kms interval which for other cars is 1,00,000kms.

More information on Logan can be had at below linkCrazy Cat's 50,000kms Experience with Logan

You can have a look at Old Honda City since your running would not be more.sudeepd2009-08-01 14:19:59

If going for a second hand car try the range from Hyundai or Maruti and nothing else.Only if you know the owner who is selling and are sure that the car has not been abused go for any other brand.

But Hyundai and Maruti retain their resale values and are easy to get back into shape with the least costs if found abused.

The Hyundai Accent, Getz and Santros should be available for your budget.

From the Maruti stable the Swift petrol or diesel, Baleno and even the SX 4 should be good buys.Wagon R's and lower end models are available for below Rs 3L in excellent conditions.

If your budget is around Rs 5L the previous model of the Honda City should also be good but spares are expensive.

hi firebonez,..i'll suggest u Hondacity ZX..u'll easily get 2006 Gxi variant..its an excellent car with very good fuel efficiency,low maintainance,good performance,n very spacious yet compact...do have a look at it..

Hi firebonez.

Welcome to the forum. As anjan said go for either a hyundai or a maruti. If you are able to procure a 2005-2006 honda city in a good condition then that will be a very good choice.

BTW in just above 5 lakhs you can get a brand new hyundai accent or a ford ikon. Why do you want to go for second hand car in this range, considering the range of cars that you have chosen.

I feel a new hyundai accent is best bet for you.

Another advise i would give is that since you have just gotten your license, its best to stay with a hatchback. I20 magna and Ritz ZXi come to my mind.

If you feel you are comfortable with a sedan, either go for a new Hyundai accent, a 2-3 years old Honda city, or a 2 year old SX4. Others might give you a pretty steep maintenance bill.

My suggestion, go for a spacious new hatchback, they have less maintenance cost, good FE(especially RITZ) and easy to drive. If you feel the space less go for the i20 magna. Ritz is a tallboy so getting in and out should be easy.

My above suggestion is simply because first hand is always better than a second hand car in terms of maintenance.

hi rahul1810 ...

most of my friends and relatives are of the opinion that, for a newbie a used car with some kms on it is a better option than a brand new car ... i too was planning to go for a hatchback from the maruti or hynudai stable ... but recently someone told me that i can get a decent used sedan like a logan or ikon for my price range ... but i'm concerned about the FE and maintenance cost of logan and ikon (them being foreign brands).... how would you rate the maruti suzuki swift????

how would you rate the maruti suzuki swift????
I Would have recommended Swift or Swift Dzire to you but looked at your height and hence recommended City to you. If you are Comfortable with the Space offered by Swift/Dzire, then you should look no further.

Since New DZires have LOOONG Waiting Period, the Availability in used Market is Scarce, but you might find one. And the Price would also be High because of the Waiting Period (of New Ones) and MJD Engine if Diesel is the choice due to Nice Performance and Amazing FE.

Petrol DZire would be around 4.0-5.75L depending on Usage and Variant.

Diesel may be around 4.75-6.5L depending on Variant and Usage.

I am not sure about Used Car Prices. I have just given an idea about the Price Range. The Actual Prices may vary.sudeepd2009-08-02 11:49:24