kikloo

Ford Ikon 1.4 or Dzire ?

Hi

I own 2 petrol cars and I am fed up now of rising costs of petrol. I am planning to switch and I had enough fun time with my petrol cars by adding gadgets to them and what not.

So now i am done and I want a simple, clean and low cost yet high mileage giving diesel car. I have shortlisted the following 2:

Ford Ikon Diesel 1.4 DuraTorq:

5.25 Lac only, giving fully loaded car with mp3 stereo and what not. Looks good but i have came to know that mileage is low. Where as Ford people saying that mileage is 19+ kmpl. Please clarify.

Now there's Dzire which is good and overall also okay, but i hate to wait and the there's dealer's attitude (oh this is our best selling car so we cannot offer anythign free with this. If you want it then give 50k and sleep/forget 3 months and if you're lucky then you might get the car.) I am not sure if this is a publicity stunt by maruti or they are really not able to keep up with the demand but its now getting boring.

Anyways if i have to wait then I will if its really worth it, but i have Alto LXi and after only 2 years it has so many vibrations and sounds which gives very bad impression. So i keep on thinking again and again.

Help me decide.!

Thanks.

I don't like Dzire, it's the worst looking sedan(personal opinion). It will be cheaper to maintain though.

I would suggest you to for Ikon, it has good FE and maintenance cost is not as high as it used to be.

I dont like the looks of the Dzire either. It looks like someone has done a really horrible Copy + Paste job.

Both Dzire and Ikons are different hatchback cars with boots pasted on to them.

Ikon wins hands down in the looks department and does not look like it was not a hatchback in the original place. The looks are a bit old though since the car is in India from ages.

Regarding the engines, both the cars have great engines on them (the fiat engine would have a slight edge over the Durateq though)

@ 5.25 Lakhs I would say the Ford Ikon is a steal. If the service charges have indeed been taken care by ford.

Fords are expensive to maintain but the Service levels are always top notch (as one of my friend drives a old gen Ford Ikon)

If this part of Ford is reportedly taken care of then I would suggest you go for the JOSH Machine!

All the best and do let us know your choice. Also post some pics.

Look kikloo, I can answer your requirements since i own both the Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCi Duratorq as well as the Swift Dzire ZDi among other 12 cars. Yes the Dzire looks a bit out of shape but its indeed is a better car compared to the new Ford Ikon TDCi in terms of refinement, quality are concerned. The Swift Dzire's biggest strenght are:

Dzire is a newer car and the MJD engine is better than the Ford one (IMHO). Also interiors are better in Dzire. External looks - I didn't like both of them - so I went for Linea smiley2.gif

The ikon certainly is a much powerful, better looking and a comfortable sedan. Kikloo, from what u mention, the looks and comfort, basically the luxury of a sedan is important to you. Based on that query, id suggest the ford ikon to you. Also, ford recently did a cross country drive, which shows its extensive reliability.

you can see this webpage and maybe add this information to your knowledge in purchasing the right sedan. good luck 

Inspite all sorts of advertising and other promotions, the sales figures of Ford Ikon TDCi are much less compared to Dzire which are selling like hot cakes and theres so much demand that Maruti Suzuki cant cope up with such a huge demand. It means that Dzire is a better VFM product compared to Ford and is a tremendously successful product from MSIL Stable.Plus the Ikon is an old car(launched in 1999, but based on Ford Fiesta MK4 which was sold in Europe in 1995-2002, so its pretty old !!) and Ford may replace the car in 2010 or 2011. Just go for the Dzire VDi.You wont regret as it is a much more modern car and owning it is a peace of mind...

I consider DeZire to be one of the ugliest looking Sedans available here. It also can not match up to Ford in terms of build quality. You might save up a bit more money when it comes to servicing but i dont think its worth the hassle of waiting for so meny months and compromising on driving pleasure.

Ford is competitively priced, looks a little better than the DeZire and the drivability of the Ikon is LEGENDARY. Maruit may be a little cheaper but Ford cars are built like tanks and do not expect the plastic parts to rattle in it after 3 or 4 years which in my personal opinion is MARUTI TRADEMARK. Reliability and quality of Ford is also proven by the recent ALL INDIA CROSS DRIVE held by Ford in 2 of its Ikons in a matter of 26 days. Buy the August issue of Autocar to get full info on it.

Cons of DeZire

- UGLY
- Can not match up to Ford in terms of drivability and pleasure (a diesel car does not have to be just business. you can have fun here too)
- Poor build quality like all other marutis ever made. I hate the rattles in 2 or 3 year old marutis.
- months and months of wait
- Its a boot stuck onto the swift which in itself isnt too pretty either UGLY.

FORD - GO FOR FORD smiley36.gif

@Mr.A.sethi

I think you are tremendously mistaken my friend.Since i own both the cars i know what they are.. the Ikon's built quality has deteorated over the years as ford used to sell it as a premium car and now it sells as an entry level car.Dzire has a better fit and finish than Ikon and  ikon's built quality is not tank like.. tank, rather the ford fiesta, ford endeavour has tank like build quality. Moreover tank like built quality are typical with german cars.Moreover let me tell you Mr.A.sethi that the Ford Ikon doesnt come with a feature called anti roll bars at the front which helps the car while handling which is standard in Dzire.The Ikon also doesn

See this guy agrees with me about the dodgy build quality of maruti as owners did not like the fit and finish....no one has ever heard wrong things about build quality of Ford but considering your experience with both the cars i guess u are right....I still would never buy a DeZire solely for the reason that i do not like marutis quality and the DeZire remains one of the ugliest cars on the road......I guess there should be a third option the buyer would consider....

Regarding maruti being the market leader....reasons include first mover advantage of about 20 years along with cheap pricing....that would make anyone the ''king''......but thats just my opinion smiley2.gif

Of corse Dzire has got some shortcomings. Its styling is not to every bodie's like. The build quality is not as good as Skoda, you are right. Even then it is not wise to go for another car, which is more handicapped than Dzire.

Dzire might rattle after a time, though not like a Tata. Obviously, Ikon will also rattle, but people tend to close their eyes towards this and simply blame Maruti alone. So better to go by the words of persons who have used both Dzire and Ikon back to back.

Dzire is leading with heavy sales numbers, since there is no good competition existing. Alas, there is no better car at the price than Dzire. :-(

My vote to Dzire over Ikon.

I still feel Ikon is the better car and even kikloo feels the same, he was only worried about the FE and doesn't want to wait for Dzire.

I agree Dzire has a good engine and will be cheaper to maintain but Ikon looks much better, has better build quality, ride and handling with a good engine.

Moreover it will be around 60-70k cheaper than Dzire Vdi with more features. I don't think it will be worth paying the premium for Dzire and wait for 3-4 months.

It's just my personal opinion and i respect the opinion of swiftvxi who owns both the cars.

tanmay872009-08-19 05:19:45

Hi vishnu, regarding your above post" that Fiat is going to stop collaboration of diesel with maruti suzuki"?? From where did you get this information.The TATA-FIAT-MARUTI-CHEVROLET JVwas signed way back in 2004 for technology transfer and sharing and rebadging of some cars like Suzuki SX4 sold as FIAT Sedici 4X4 in different markets etc. 

@Cyrus

If you see the market, you will observe one thing. None of the sedans being sold in our country below 10 lakh were originally sedans. All have been derived from hatchbacks. The pricing is just on these factors

1. How beautiful is the sedan version?

2.How much spacious is it?

3.How old is it?

Those cars which are good in all these three points are in the above segment and priced higher. eg.linea, city, sx4, fiesta and verna.

While those who dont satisfy even one fall to the lower segment, eg. dzire,accent, ikon, logan etc.

So expecting a beautiful, new spacious car in this segment is just hopeless. Also if you see none of these models except logan are in sale anywhere else in the world