heymulls

Skoda Laura 1.8TSI

I have been planning to buy a car for a while now. Initially I was deciding between the Toyota Corolla Altis and the Honda Civic. Then I heard about a refreshed civic being launched so I decided to wait. I was hoping that Honda would add a few goodies and the civic would be at least on par with the Altis, feature wise. In the meanwhile my friend suggested I test drive the new Laura 1.8TSI. I was extremely impressed with the engine. It was very refined and didn't break into a sweat even with speeds in excess of 180Kmph. The steering feedback was very reassuring and the car felt planted. I was instantly in love with the car. I am planning to book the car shortly and get delivery by the end of the month. I have a couple of questions and hopefully the knowledgeable sirs will be able to help. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1. While driving in city traffic the car stalled a couple of times while crawling at 10kmph in second gear. It requires you to shift to 1st even when the car is above 10kmph. I have never experienced this in any other car. This has been reported in one of the magazines. Is this a known problem or is it related to the fuel quality.

2. I have read a lot of horror stories about Skoda a.s.s. however I am hoping things will change. Which is the better dealer in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bangalore, Tafe Access or Vinayak Auto?

3. What is the fuel efficiency I can expect in city and highway driving?

The new breed of tsi engine is the best engine currently on sale check csi index of your dealer , you can get a variable FE figures as the engine is quiet flexible in power delivery demand.

I am in the same position.  I was really keen on buying an Automatic and completely sold on the current Civic A/T.  However, I'm completely blown after driving the Laura and totally confused.  Here are the key pros and cons as I see them:

Civic pros / cons:

A/T [main advantage]

Leather seats

Lower maintenance costs (relative)

Nicer interiors / exterior look (arguable I suppose)

Low ground clearance (my biggest issue) - IMO this prevents pushing the car to its true limits

Very small boot for its class.

Lesser power (compared to the TSI)

Laura:

Sturdy sturdy sturdy - feels like a tank while handling high speeds

Power unlimited - tap the accelerator and it shoots at any speed.

Huge boot - can be accessed from rear seat.

No leather seats

No remote for the system (plain annoying)

Looks plain compared to Civic but plush nevertheless

Only Manual tranny

While routine maintenance is comparable, unusual incidents / accidents can really blow a big hole in the pocket.

Rear parking sensors std.

Reputation for poor A.S.S - although Honda isn't exactly perfect on this front.

I have no answers yet - but hope to decide by Sunday which one it is.  Honda seems to be a safer bet but Laura seems to be more rewarding - if one can take some risks.

cheers,

Wait till diwali skoda may launch the elegance varient of the laura petrol and may be offered with automatic option also if you are getting around 1lakhs off the price of civic auto then go for it as the facelifted version is around the corner just bargain with the dealer as it is a slow selling model and compare sales figures to the corolla atlis.

Laura undoubtedly is a far superior car than Civic in every aspect. The only cause of concern about Skoda is A.S.S., which can be a real pain for some people.

Buying Civic does not make sense at this stage as the upgraded model is round the corner. However that is supposed be mostly a cosmetic upgrade only. Those keen on AT should a test drive of Altis AT, you will not be disappointed.

Wait till diwali skoda may launch the elegance varient of the laura petrol and may be offered with automatic option also if you are getting around 1lakhs off the price of civic auto then go for it as the facelifted version is around the corner just bargain with the dealer as it is a slow selling model and compare sales figures to the corolla atlis.

bargain with honda showroom ,they will pick you like a fly in a pie and say sorry sir we at honda dont belive in discounts "that means we will stop selling cars but not reduce the prices b,cos in hyderabad there were 2cars of city zx one in each sundaram honda and pride honda even atfer nearly 2-3 months after city s came and it was sold at the same price as it was sold earlier.

hey guys - thanks for the post.  I finally went for the Civic.  The convenience of an A/T tranny prevailed over the enthusiast in me.  Most dealers here are giving insurance free at the moment for the current Civic A/T. 

I know the facelift is round the corner but didnt take if for the following reason:

With facelift will be price increase plus the existing insurance freescheme will discontinue.  I suspect the price increase will be at least 40,000 (just my sense ... no tangible data to believe this) - combined with the insurance free scheme thats a difference of 90,000 (at least) in purchase price.  The changes being brought in are not worth that price diff for me at least.

I also managed to get the dealer to throw in mats, sunfilm and polish in addition to insurance free.  Overall seemed a good deal to me rather than the new one.

Main points that prevented me from buying the Laura:

- 2 yr warranty against Honda 4 yr warranty. [skoda warranty period is crucial given the reliability complaints and high cost of parts.]

- Honda dealers were more eager to close the deal [skoda 2nd hand dealer took 2 days to revert with the quote for my existing car after promising to get back in 2 hours - I followed up once - when he finally called 2 days later I was already signing the cheque at Honda]

- the uncertainty on the reliability and cost of parts is too much of a headache on a 15L purchase.

@hector Honda gave 60k discounts when the new city version was released that also on the vtec varient .I am saying this with proof on of my fathers friend bought it in november grey colour city zx vtec +.

A little update from my side. I finally took the plunge and booked a Silver Laura 1.8 TSI. I will be getting the car delivered tomorrow.

I am hoping to run the car on either 97 RON or 95 RON. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find it in Blore. I have heard that anything less than 95 RON is not good for the engine. The ECU senses lower RON and does not enter the Fuel Stratified mode. This reduces the milage and performance.

I have been planning to buy a car for a while now. Initially I was deciding between the Toyota Corolla Altis and the Honda Civic. Then I heard about a refreshed civic being launched so I decided to wait. I was hoping that Honda would add a few goodies and the civic would be at least on par with the Altis' date=' feature wise. In the meanwhile my friend suggested I test drive the new Laura 1.8TSI. I was extremely impressed with the engine. It was very refined and didn't break into a sweat even with speeds in excess of 180Kmph. The steering feedback was very reassuring and the car felt planted. I was instantly in love with the car. I am planning to book the car shortly and get delivery by the end of the month. I have a couple of questions and hopefully the knowledgeable sirs will be able to help.

1. While driving in city traffic the car stalled a couple of times while crawling at 10kmph in second gear. It requires you to shift to 1st even when the car is above 10kmph. I have never experienced this in any other car. This has been reported in one of the magazines. Is this a known problem or is it related to the fuel quality.

2. I have read a lot of horror stories about Skoda a.s.s. however I am hoping things will change. Which is the better dealer in Bangalore, Tafe Access or Vinayak Auto?

3. What is the fuel efficiency I can expect in city and highway driving?

[/quote']

I am excactly in yout place, i have been waiting for a long time.. was waiting for new civic ( but did not really like it.. .was quite low )

i had the same expierence what you had with the laura as it stalled a couple of times,,, ( and what a co-incendence my friend has suggested the laura..... its a monster but With a lot of problems and expensive one to maintain.

i was ipressed but Now since hearing so much about the cruze... I Will wait !!

its cheaper and better... few people from this forum have told me that the cruze beats the laura...

the curze will give about 15 on highway and 12 in city ( tested )

My suggestion is to wait.  + >> its cheaper then laura !! Save money and buy smart.!

A little update from my side. I finally took the plunge and booked a Silver Laura 1.8 TSI. I will be getting the car delivered tomorrow.

I am hoping to run the car on either 97 RON or 95 RON. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find it in Blore. I have heard that anything less than 95 RON is not good for the engine. The ECU senses lower RON and does not enter the Fuel Stratified mode. This reduces the milage and performance.

Congrats for getting the BEAST, in teambhp forum a skoda engineer has recommended speed97 fuel whenever possible but also said that the car will run fine with 91 octane fuel, just try to fill speed97 whenever you can, enjoy your new motor,

cheer,,

@ pranab

he has already bought the car.

and i think its a good buy

its a Beast' date=' flawless power, one has to drive it to believe it smiley17.gif
[/quote']

i drove it... agreed its a monster but a very expensive beast to maintain..

What if the the cruze is better ?

well actually the cruze is better from 0-60 and 0-100 km

the cruze rapes the laura that much but then laura rapes the cruze... but where would u get to drive frequently above 100 ?

marine drive ? not very often

@ pranab

its a Beast' date=' flawless power, one has to drive it to believe it smiley17.gif

[/quote']

the cruze rapes the laura that much but then laura rapes the cruze... but where would u get to drive frequently above 100 ?

marine drive ? not very often

yeah? what is the 0-100kmh figures of the cruze? & btw what is ur age? just curious smiley2.gif

@ pranab

its a Beast' date=' flawless power, one has to drive it to believe it smiley17.gif[/quote']

?

?

marine drive ? not?very often
?yeah? what is the 0-100kmh figures of the cruze? & btw what is ur age? just curious smiley2.gif

Good question insane79 smiley36.gif

5-speed Manual ( Deisel 2.0 )

0-60 km in 5.8 secs

and

0-100km in 9.4 seconds 

Laura 1.8 TSI generates 160 bhp! . It does 0-100 kmph in less than 8 secs. 

Please dont confuse here with diesel engines. We are talking here about an engine thats most powerful  in sub 20 lacs catergory. Remember this is same petrol engine that was used in Suberb. So if you are pure enthuasist driver look no beyond 1.8 TSI. There is nothing to compare it with.