swiftvxi06

Shocking: VW Targeting Rs 4 lakh starting price!!

volkswagen-polo-2009-img_1-450x300.jpg

VW is targetting a base price of Rs 4 Lakhs for the Polo when it gets launched in India either late this year or early next year.

Worried by the lukewarm response to the Skoda Fabia the company is working hard to meet its cost target for the base Polo which will come with a naturally aspirated 1.2 Litre Petrol engine. The company hopes to sell 25,000 units of the Polo every year in the Indian market.

The next up is the Polo based sedan which will compete in the midsize segment with the likes of Honda City, Fiat Linea and Hyundai Verna. The sedan will sport state of the art petrol and diesel engines for optimum performance and economy. The Jetta too will get a new range of engines by April 2010 to meet the stricter Bharat IV norms. The timid 1.6 Litre Petrol engine will be replaced by a TSi motor while diesel will shift from VW

I am not too excited about the Polo, both the exteriors and interiors look dull to me and it won't be launched with the 1.2 tsi engine either.

Rather i am more excited about the Chevrolet beat.tanmay872009-08-06 18:57:30

No way a VW Polo to be sold in 4lakhs range because nowhwere in the world  its priced so cheap. VW will never price the Polo cheaper than its sister Skoda Fabia. Its only a rumour just like the price of Honda Jazz to be in 5lakhs range before its launch. VW's newly developing  model UP will be priced in the 3 - 4 Lakhs range. I have read in some of the autoblogs that the cost of production for UP will be only 900 Euros when its manufactured in India. Yes, just 60,000 Rupees. Sounds great and unbelievable!

price for the basic modle would be more than 5 lakhs for sure... but if they launch at this price (4 lacs which is highly unlikely) i am sure it will be a big hit

Well  the up is going to cost 900 euros less than the polo to manufacture and its not the total cost

No dear, its cost of productionsmiley18.gif. They are going price it at 9000 Euros in Europe. A margin of 1000% smiley7.gif 

Just click the links below if you cant believe me.

No way VW will price Polo less than Jazz, as VW is a superior brand world wide than Honda. Further Polo will be positioned as the superior hatch in the top bracket as they are looking for 25000 units per annum only. Fabia will be positioned for the volume market against Swift.

UP will cost even less but it can not cost 900 Euros to produce. Remember that auto pundits were shocked world over at US$ 2500 price of Nano. It may be pitted against the likes of  i10 etc.

However VW / Skoda will have to lower the cost of A.S.S. and also make it more customer friendly to succeed in the lower segments as those customers are most cost concious. The leader Maruti does not make great cars but they provide the reliable cars at least cost of ownership with hassle free and easily available service. It will be very tough for VW to make a dent in Maruti / Hyundai / Tata's customer bases but it will definitely dislodge Honda from its arrogant perch.

Check the following link for the price of new Polo in U.K and Europe.

Its more than 7 Lakhs for the base 1.2 L 60hp model. So I think it will be priced in the range of Jazz.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109080720951/volkswagen-polo-uk-pricing-announced

No dear' date=' its cost of productionsmiley18.gif. They are going price it at 9000 Euros in Europe. A margin of 1000% smiley7.gif 

....[/quote']

don't get carried away. margin of 1000% is misleading. 900Euro could be cost of manufacturing (just the labor and not the material cost). worldwide average in terms of margin for automotive industry is in the range of 3-4% only.

I think 4 lakhs price for polo is a marketing gimmik ,anyways the 1.2lt of Fabia which will be put in it has already put me off ,if they launch 1.2lt tsi engine even for 7 lakhs there will be many takers like me ,also on road prices will be 5lakhs + and people at this price point would want power windows atleast which I feel may not be provided by polo.