anjan_c2007

Transport of Brand New cars -Factory to Showrooms

Till about more than two decades back, most cars used to be driven from their factories to the respective showrooms for which they were earmarked.

Fiats/ Premiers, Ambassadors and Jeeps from M & M were 100% driven and brought to the showrooms.

Now that first 1000 kms was the running in period for most engines. It is not known how the company drivers handled the four wheelers during this crucial period and whether the new owner got a machine that had running in period related faults?

Come the Maruti in 1984 truck transport from factories commenced and most manufacturers followed suit.

But just yesterday, I saw a fleet of Mahindra Bolero Campers, XL's and Utility Pick-Ups being driven on the highway. That has prompted to start this thread. I am sure M&M the only brand among the lighter four wheelers, that are still driven from the factories. I am told that till recently Scorpios used to also be driven similarly. But my Scorpio delivered this April, had 000000 kms on its odo and was transported by truck.So also Xylos are truck transported.

Road transport though with its own perils used to be a lovely sight for automobile lovers who could spot many, many maybe Ambassadors , Premiers or Jeeps while on the highway. That is sorely missed now.

This topic has taken me back to my childhood days. I was an auto enthusiast from my childhood itself. One event in connection with the topic in my childhood is like this:

My dad booked a Mahindra  jeep at TVS Motors  when I was around 3 years. At that time the Jeeps from the factory were driven to the particular dealer through the road infront of my house. Someone told me our new jeep will be going through this way to the dealer. I started waiting to see our new jeep driven to the dealersmiley8.gif. There was a big waiting period to get the jeep delivered. Whenever I heard the sound of a jeep coming from far I used to run to the gate. Usually the gate will be closed after my dad goes to his office but that day it was not closed since our servant left it open for sweeping the road to my house. So I ran beyond the gate and entered the road. One jeep was coming very fast and reached very close to me. Suddenly our servant  who was sweeping near the gate caught me on my shirt and pulled me out of the road. Thus I was saved and I stopped running to the gate after the incident.

Anyway the sight of new vehicles covered in dust driven at very high speed to the show room was a great feast for the eyes of  the little auto enthusiast in me. I  really miss that sight now.

I am sure that the drivers were abusing the new vehicles by driving at very high speeds.

Do not forget the fate of the car was sealed by the time you saw it. The driving was atrocious. The 500km and 1500km services were really jokes since the car had already done may be 1000+km by the time you go it.

I remember having the same conversation with my father - in context with our 1973 premier president.

The car (purchased in Bareli, UP) was driven down from Mumbai by PAL drivers. This was done with a mechanical rev-limiter (nothing but a screw attached to the accelerator linkage) that came with a seal of some kind.

You could inspect the seal and refuse to take delivery of the car if the seal was found broken. (In those days that could mean waiting for another 6-10 months for another car to be delivered).

Not sure how other manufacturers dealt with the situation.

It was common knowledge that they bypassed the limiter when driving down. Also, it was not unusual to speed up and then coast, or to tow one car behind another. Got then some saving on petrol.

sgiitk2009-08-10 12:15:07

Infact in this context i remember when i used to see Tempo Trax now known as Force Motors models Gurkha, Judo & Toofan being driven right from Pithampur factory to Pune Dealers, this was around 5 years back. I am sure for the case of Force Motors Gurkha being made to order will be driven to the specifc dealer.

I seriously doubt those Mahindras you saw were being transported from the factory. If you saw one on the highway, they must be going from dealer to lealer. All scorpios are transported by truck. I Have seen the loading process personally, and even visited the stockyard.

I seriously doubt those Mahindras you saw were being transported from the factory. If you saw one on the highway' date=' they must be going from dealer to lealer. All scorpios are transported by truck. I Have seen the loading process personally, and even visited the stockyard.[/quote']

True Cyrus, Scorpios  and Xylos are being 100% transported by truck to the dealer's place Six of them come in one huge truck in the Two Tier arrangement.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

anjan_c20072009-08-10 14:55:42

I agree that they were transported by truck but im still not convinced that they had just 0000kms on the odo. They would have driven it for some distance atleast to have it registered or transfer it between places

I agree that they were transported by truck but im still not convinced that they had just 0000kms on the odo. They would have driven it for some distance atleast to have it registered or transfer it between places

offcourse you can always remove the speedo cable.

offcourse you can always remove the speedo cable.

I was ebing delivered my Accent with the speedo cable disconnected. Fortunately' date=' I knew the car arrived in Kanpur only a couple of days earlier, so did not make a big fuss.

Bypassed it - How (unless it was company policy to bypass it) ?

It was supposed to have a tamper proof seal where the throttle linkage connected to the Carb.

My dear friend, remember often the supervisor was also an expert mechanic. They removed it and put it back before entering the city!

I also know for sure that the Matiz used to be driven down. Checked with an exec. He said the choice was of the dealer. Also, heard (not confirmed) that the Indica was also transported similarly.

sgiitk2009-08-11 03:17:36