rajinibm

My experience of trying to CHEAT ME - fiat punto

Hi

I wish to bring across to your notice my grievance and shock of my life on the deceit at your showroom.

I had booked a FIAT Punto 1.2 active variant at TAFE - ANNA SALAI - Chennai.

I had gone to your showroom on 6 / 08/2009 and done a PDI and the car seemed fine and the ODO reading was 26 KMs.I gave the go ahead to do the registration.

On 07/8/09 after waiting till close to 5 pm as i got no call from my sales exec i messaged him on the status of the car and he messaged me back saying come by 7 pm to the showroom.(Is this customer service, where you dont even have the courtesy to call the client once you have received your money?)

Around six thirty me and my wife reached the showroom and we were amazed to know that in the delivery section no one knew that the car delivery was scheduled for friday 7/08/09.

On calling up the sales exec, we were again amazed to find his mobile switched off!Then after waiting for around an hour, we were told the car is come to the showroom and on seeing it i was again surprised as the car covered with dust and was totally unclean like it had been bought out of a storage yard after a month or driven on dirt tracks.

I was told to take the car and give it back the next day for cleaning it and polishing the car.

I was doing a round of the car when i noticed a scratch (deep gash) on the car on the rear bumper,i got this to the notice of the people there and they took it very casually saying they will polisg it off the next day!a new car with scratches!!!!

I did not want to make an issue of it as i was buying this car for my wife.

Then while leaving, i sat in the car and started the car and was literally shocked to see the ODO READING AT 126 KMS!!!!!!

I asked the sales exec and the manager there and they both had no answers how the 100 odd extra kms came up!The sales exec himself said the car could have max run around 50kms on that day for any and which reason they gave, then where did the remaining 50 kms on the odo come from??

I need answers:

a.How did the odo reading go up from 26 kms to 126.5 kms in a single day?

b.I was told a story that they took a wrong car and they had to make two trips and hence the delay.MY ANSWER to this is that you are contradicting yourself as if you took the wrong car first to the RTO then my car odo reading cannot go up as you want to make me believe that you took the car twice to the RTO!!why dont you guys think before giving stories??

c.The personnels in the showroom itself have told that what is happening is wrong and unacceptable and they cant speak out as they will lose their job!

d.Why am i being given a car which in all possibility have been used by for test drives/pleasure rides -- i have no idea!

e.Why is TAFE trying to cheat customers like this???

f.The sales exec and other people did not say sorry to this even once and just kept on defending themselves.

After this i spoke to the sales team leader - Mr.Krishnan and he initially tried to convince me that the car is not for test drive and the car was driven 100 kms on friday as they had to make seveal trips from their workshop to showroom to the RTO but Mr.Krishnan that doesnt add up to 100 kms!!!!!!!

After a while I was offered compensation by giving me timts and body cover!

I have bought my ANHC and this punto paying full down payment.The ANHC experience was immpecableDo you guys do not even know how to treat a customer.

I need a letter from TAFE and FIAT stating what has happened and an apology for the shoddy treatment mented out.

My wifes happiest moment of owing her first car was made extremely sad for your greed of money!The sentiment just changed for everyone in my family.

I want to know the truth behind this.

Why are you guys trying to cheat customers in this way?Do you think everyone as ignorant?

FIAT - I am surprised that when we guys want to trust your brand as we think the products are good -- you try to cheat us of our hard earned money in this fashion.I need answers and i need it today.

CYRUS432009-08-08 20:44:14

Hi,

I'm sorry to read your grievance.

Its really sad to see that FIAT is behaving with its customers such a way.

I think it would be better if you directly drop a mail to Mr. Rajiv Kapoor, President & CEO of FIAT India.

Its very sad incident and i am sorry to read your grievances as well. Its the reason why FIAT along with TATA MOTORS wont be able to topple Honda and Maruti Suzuki as far as Customer satisfaction is concerned.These car dealers should be taken to consumer courts and their dealership cancelled before they think of cheating anyone else. Even I read an issue regarding how a sales personnel at a TATA-FIAT dealership at NCR region cheated a Fiat Palio owner who was given a defective car by the dealer along with some freebies and discount.Its a fact that A.S.S of  TATA MOTORS are worst in the country and the fact that they had never been able to bag an award at the J.D.Power Asia Pacific Customer Satisfaction Index since 2000.Even the service engineers at TATA MOTORS till date dont have a systematic database featuring the name,type and product no of  spare parts of FIAT cars like that of Maruti,Honda,Hyundai It boils down to the fact that Fiat cars are still alien to them and they are totally unfamiliar with their servicing.The TVS servicing of earlier Fiat was far more better and reliable.The person everyday had to fill 1 litre of power steering fluid(similar to filling petrol) in order to run his car!!!If FIAT doesnt look into these matters seriously and immediately then their fortunes in indian market would go haywire. even i posted a topic on how a mahindra logan 1.4 glx owner got cheated with full visual description of events.. I would advice you to forward this letter tothe CEO of Fiat cars as well as send this letter to Autocar India Helpline at : helpline@autocarindia.com.  Email your grievances with a photo of you.

swiftvxi062009-08-08 07:11:33

I have mailed rajeev kapoor and have got a call from tafe -- the sales head is coming to meet me.

Now what do i do? do i take this car as he is profusely apologising.I am worried that if something goes wrong afte a couple of months then what do i do.

I have not taken delivery of the car.Its in the showroom only.

He would be here in my place in a while.Need to decide what to do.He says he would give me sunfilm and car body cover as comepansation!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies

What should i demand as compensation in lieu of a used car perhaps guys?

Its better that you demand a full refund of the total amount along with interest instead of accepting an offer of a used new car along with just carbody cover and sunfilm.After getting refund go to a new fiat dealer and enquire about punto active delivery date and always tell them to write the details that the sales persons say in a paper duly signed by them and dealer stamp etched on paper. as these will be proofs for you if they retract their statements later.And never pay full payment before getting the car..Tell the TAFE dealer that inspite of everything i will expose you all in front of media.Even am a media student i can help you out if you need help.take care. best of luck. tell the sales guy that if they do these kinds of dishonesty, fiat's india revival plans would go kaput  again anyday because we indians are not fools.Also tell the sales guy to write the details regarding refund, in your home right in front of you  in a paper duly signed by him and dealer stamp etched on paper. as these will be proofs for you if he retracts his statements later again. BEST OF LUCK.........

Hey swift

The car is already registered in my wifes name.I think after reading a lot in lots of sites -- it would be very tough to get a new car.is it so?

I have asked a couple of times for a new car -- but they say its impossible as car is already registered.

In case a new car cant be given what would be the second best resort.

The TAFE head says he would give in writing on fiat letter head that the car has nothing wrong in it and in the next one year if any thing happens then they would be fully responsible for it.

Waiting for him to come.

Regretting i chose fiat.At the last moment went for it against hyundai i20!

So the picture is slowly getting transparent.Then the 2nd best resort would be to give free accessories ( as per owner's choice, not dealer's choice(incuding music system, floor mats, mudflaps, leather seats. all for free) as well as cash discount and an apology letter from dealer. Boss, writing in letter head is not enough, tell me to sign and stamp it and also signed by the owner of the dealership that if anything goes wrong they would be fully responsible and for that reason you may move to consumer court and expose them to media. But ask him how did the ODO reading changed from 26km to 126km in a day.. Threaten them that if they dont tell you the truth then you wont accept the car.  please post what the sales guy said to you and if possible scan and post the letter written and signed by fiat authorities. Best of luck. looks like the battle is slowly getting over.. whats the color of your punto 1.2 active?

for posting any pic or document go to imageshack.com. upload the image, click remove resolution button. then after pic gets uploaded, click on the pic thumbnail. .After clicking thumbnail the pic gets enlarged. then copy the link (forum) under the heading embed this image.

hey guys

the mktg head and the senior manager sales had come to my house now.They just kept saying sorry and said that FIAT from bombay had told them to get in touch with me immediately and sort this out.

They just did not say how the 100 odd kms came on the car.

They have agreed to give sunfilm - 3m, car body cover, leather seat cover and 10k discount.

The accesories are not important to me.

I have asked for a letter stating the odo is 126 and anything happens to the car in the next 2 yrs they are responsible for it!( the car anyways has a 2 yrs warranty!).Also if there is any colour mismatch/paint job i would not accept the car.

they would deliver the car to me by 5 pm.

its a choice between slugging it out with them or settling it and i am in a mood to let go this time.

Hope the car runs fine!

will scan the letter and send once it reaches me.

is it ok!

It looks allright but beware of clauses in the letter. It should say that should any problem arise with the car you dont have to pay a single penny, not even labour charges. Many people get tricked by this kind of stuff. Kepp the labour charges in mind. I would also suggest that you get an extended warranty from them.

Tafe is really ruining many companies reputation. There was an issue withe Tafe Skoda dealer from bangalore some time back if i remember.

When the car comes, make sure to do a thorugh check of the car, and have a drive before accepting the car.

Here is a link for Pre delivery inspection checklist

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/20741-article-pre-delivery-inspection-check-list.html

Rajin, i support what rahul said. just dont blindly believe what they said.If possible go the showroom now in order to see what they are doing with your car. And also tell them to show the original letter sent by FIAT,Mumbai and give a copy of the letter so that if anything happens you contact FIAT,Mumbai.It would be better if you drive the car along with the officials in order to feel and see whether everything is right or wrong.Plus anyone can write a letter, but make them write whatever they are committing to you should be duly signed by them and also by the top official or owner of the dealership  in front of you..Best of Luck.and Congrats.

Post Delivery inspection:

You are obviously excited about the delivery of your new car, but WAIT! Many have paid a huge price for the resultant haste, and its best to take some necessary precautions before driving away in your new machine.

Team-BHP enlists all that you should check for as a part of the pre-delivery inspection:

Before Registration:

We recommend visiting the dealerships stockyard and checking your car prior to registration. Once it is registered in your name, there is little you can do. Check the car manufacturing month/year, especially when buying in the first quarter of any year. Fiat India was notorious for selling cars that have been manufactured up to 18 months earlier. Ascertain that the year of manufacturer is current. If the odometer is disconnected, in all probability, the allocated car has been used as a test-drive vehicle. Also check for any repair jobs / body damage; damage to some cars is inevitable in transit and most repair work is glaringly obvious.

IMPORTANT : Check the tax calculations on the dealership invoice. Overcharging for RTO / octroi / lifetime taxes is a popular scam at many Indian dealerships. Pay only the actual charges due to the authorities and not a rupee more.

Preparations:

1. Confirm: the date of delivery with your dealership. It is best to go there only after the car has been prepared and is ready. If you have a preference for a particular day / time (for auspicious reasons), inform the sales person.

2. Daylight: We recommend accepting delivery in broad daylight, since the dark can conceal a lot. You may also not get good service in the evening since dealership personnel are in a hurry to wrap the day up.

3. Documentation: Ascertain that you carry any required documentation with you. This may include forms, receipts etc.

4. Payments: If any payment formalities are to be completed, carry along the relevant PDC

Even i have lots of uestions unanswered in my mind.They are just not willing to disclose how the 100 kms came on the odo.

I guess we would never know!Still plan to follow up with FIAT to see if the truth emerges.

These guys are very cunning and they will talk swetly when they need to.

Will check the car thoroughly when they get it at 5 pm and take a test drive also.

You know it will always remain in the back of the mind--is anything wrong with the car!!

Will scan the letter and put it up once i get it also the meeting with them.

Thanks for your reply.

I can say that it was used for td as the 1.2lt engine punto is not given for td so people might be waiting for a td for 1.2lt punto . If you want compensation a sunfilm od window tint is very cheap and cost mere 2k . Ask them to put emotion alloy wheels of threaten them that you will file a suit . Don't settle for stupid accessories which cost cheap. good luck!

That is what happens in Tata's hands. No respect for customers. Their service is more horrible, especially in Chennai. If you are okay to settle with the car, ask for something big like alloys, as said by rssh. And also read the assurance letter carefully, make sure no charge for spares, labor or anything, for any replacements in the given period.

Hey guys

Got the car delivered to me yesterday evening.Due to heavy rains did not take the car out for a decently long drive.Will be doing it today to see how it feels.

The main thing is the letter from TAFE was very vauge and the one line which mentioned responsibility of TAFE and FIAT towards anything going wrong with the car later on said ' your requirements shall be taken care of' which iw found to be very vaude.

Called up the marketing - manager and told him this is not what we discussed and told him i would raft the letter and send it to him and he needs to sign it and put his seal on it and give it back to me.

If i dont get this letter back from him by eod tomorrow then would pursue again with FIAT.

Do any of you have any points i need to mention in the letter?

Hey guys

Do any of you have any idea if a. Music system can be installed in the Punto 1.2 active petrol version?I guess the warranty would be void if i get this done outside, but cant the TATA-FIAT showroom fit one and give me?

I am asking this as the mktg manager of TAFE told me that putting a music system in these cars is impossible!!

he also said i cant put remote locking in the car? is this also correct??

But his sales executive told me that the linea music system which costs 18k can be put in the punto!!!!!! the funny thing is this sales exec did not even know where the TRIP meter switch is located , he was searching for it for like ten mins and then the car driver/cleaner who came with him told him where it is!!!!!!!!!this is the guy who informs the clients about the car before selling it to them!!!look at the quality of these people guys!!

Now i am wondering if these guys ae still misleading me as they thought they would have to give me the music system free of cost along with remote locking.

If anyone has any ideas pls let me know.

Post Delivery inspection:

You are obviously excited about the delivery of your new car, but WAIT! Many have paid a huge price for the resultant haste, and its best to take some necessary precautions before driving away in your new machine.

Team-BHP enlists all that you should check for as a part of the pre-delivery inspection:

Before Registration:

We recommend visiting the dealerships stockyard and checking your car prior to registration. Once it is registered in your name, there is little you can do. Check the car manufacturing month/year, especially when buying in the first quarter of any year. Fiat India was notorious for selling cars that have been manufactured up to 18 months earlier. Ascertain that the year of manufacturer is current. If the odometer is disconnected, in all probability, the allocated car has been used as a test-drive vehicle. Also check for any repair jobs / body damage; damage to some cars is inevitable in transit and most repair work is glaringly obvious.

IMPORTANT : Check the tax calculations on the dealership invoice. Overcharging for RTO / octroi / lifetime taxes is a popular scam at many Indian dealerships. Pay only the actual charges due to the authorities and not a rupee more.

Preparations:

1. Confirm: the date of delivery with your dealership. It is best to go there only after the car has been prepared and is ready. If you have a preference for a particular day / time (for auspicious reasons), inform the sales person.

2. Daylight: We recommend accepting delivery in broad daylight, since the dark can conceal a lot. You may also not get good service in the evening since dealership personnel are in a hurry to wrap the day up.

3. Documentation: Ascertain that you carry any required documentation with you. This may include forms, receipts etc.

4. Payments: If any payment formalities are to be completed, carry along the relevant PDC

Hey cartoos

I guess you have not read the thread properly

a.I dont care for a sunfilm and a body cover -- my point here was i have paid them full cash 4.5 lakhs and you think i want their freebies for 2-3k?????

The showroom guys offered them as compensation!

b.The ODO reading on the car during PDI was 26 kms.The RTO is 10 -12 kms away then does it add up to 126 kms??

c.Would you accept your brand new car with scratches on it and covered with dust??

d.No one was willing to disclose how the 100 extra kms came on the odo.If they would have explained i would taken the car and left happily.Till date they are not being open.If everything is fine, then why the silence?

e.When i pay my hard money money to buy a car , then i except the car to be brand new and not a car which has been driven by all and sundry and gone through what who knows!

If you find my post instigating then i cant help it, i need an outlet so showrooms like this dont fleece people.

If speaking for my rights is wrong then these forums shouldnt exist.

I feel i have got a raw deal.My peace of mind with the car is not there.

my views entirely

I think nearly all cars can have remote locking installed. However, non OEM (possibly FIAT does not have any OEM) may require cutting the wiring.

Most responsible auto accessory shops have a small plug-in into the loom for the audio system. If this is used there is no wire cutting. I will be surprised if teh car cannot take an audio system!!

The normal golden rule is that as long as there is no wire cutting you are Ok as far as warranty goes.

My feeling is that they wanted to deliver in the evening since they know what they were doing, and hoping that you do not catch them out.