CYRUS43

AUTOCAR SCOOP: The new ZEN...err Estilo

The face-lift on Wagon-R by Maruti's R&D was commendable and did wonders to its sales figures.  Hope this one works for the Estilo. 

Actually looks was not the real problem of the Estilo.  Its good that they have updated the sloppy transmission to a high-tech system.  Also the quality of interiors was a let-down in the older car.  Hope this has been taken care of.  The jewel in the older car was its brilliant engine, which made it a spirited performer, actually much better than the Wagon R. 

Yesterday, I visited the Maruti Showroom in Rajkot (Gujarat) to see the new Estillo. There were two colours available in showroom. Dusky Brown and silver. The dusky brown, as I have seen it personally, looks superb & amazing-fantastic (Personally, I like only white colour , but for the first time, I liked the colour other than White). The gear-shifting is smoother than earlier Estillo version. Interior on front side, well good. The instrument cluster is finesmiley-smile.gif. The switches for power window etc. look to be made of cheaper quality of plasticssmiley-frown.gif. Rearseat space- No difference found as compared to older version. But that space is definitely lesser than Spark or i10. Boot space- Good. View from backside-rearview, no chnage as compared to older version. Rearpower window switches are different than front power windows, but rear powerwindow switches look as made of cheaper quality plastics/bad shape(actually, they may not be of cheaper quality, I am talking about looks only). Rear wiper is good to see. Overall, I felt that the exterior is fantastic, but the interior is not at par with i10. If MSIL thinks that it has made New Estillo with similar quality of interiors as in i10, sorry, it has to rethink. Only, question is, ASS & resale value - both are superb in case of Maruti. If compared to other models of Maruti, New Estillo is better than old version of Estillo and Wagon-R(present version). No discounts on any of models of New Estillo. No music system with any model (not even the highest version which comes at Rs. 4.51 lacs on road in Rajkot). Now, we have to compare prices of i10(Era), i10(Magna), Spark LT with all models of New Estillo. The higest version Spark LT comes (after discount) at Rs. 3.78 lacs on road in Rajkot. Having almost all features available in new Estillo. i10 Era comes at Rs. 4.04 (after discount of Rs. 10K) on road.

First review of new Estilo. Congrads yar. By the way, did you test drive the car? Heard that the suspension is also re-tuned. Hope it has improved. The styling was ok for me, even for the old version. But I was disappointed with the poor gear shift. Happy that Maruti has done the pain in re-working the problem areas with the old old Estilo. :-)

I am sure that new Estilo will be a success. And still I am not sure, if Maruti intents it to compete with i10 anyway.

However, if we compare i10 Era and Estilo Vxi (without Abs and Airbag), Estilo has extra features like:

central locking with remote,

rear power windows,

Full wheel caps,

Tachometer,

Front and rear fog lamps,

Body coloured bumpers and mirrors,

Internal boot release,

rear defogger,

rear wash-wiper etc.

Hence I think it is better to compare i10 1.1 Era with Estilo Lxi. Then the similar spec-ed Estilo will be a whopping Rs.35000 cheaper than i10 Era. That too with a superbly fuel efficient and feature rich engine!!

Sure it is time for hyundai to replan their strategies.