POTU

Best Hatchback Possible.

In the latest Autocar issue it has been mentioned that fabia 1.2 AC is not good enough.Is it really bad?

When can we expect the 1.2 tsi engine in Fabia.Is it worth waiting for that or the present engine is sufficient for city use?

I find the fabia 1.2 a car with better character than jazz(which according to me is just a bigger sized Japanese hatch with very good engine, ok build quality and overall not so comfortable rear seat).

Welcome your suggestions on the above.

Skoda is a company with very tempting products and very poor aftersales service and very expensive at that. I know of a friend who sold his 3 year old Octy L&K diesel, which he bought for some 14.6 lakh for some 5.75 lakh due high priced service issues. Prepare to be ripped if you go for a Skoda. I wonder how we Indians aren't giving the FIAT treatment for Skoda and still continue to buy their products despite all these vagaries.Durango Dude2009-08-24 17:46:55

Thanks for your suggestions.I agree.However the point remains that today in our country if you want to buy a spacious hatch with European Build then Fabia is the only choice.This is because Punto in the avatar it has come to India is basically a substandard product.Even if we think of future then VW Polo will have space issues and when Golf will be launched is a matter of speculation.Another point strikes me a lot that if Skoda(and all its dealers) is in so bad shape then how come I find thousands of Skodas plying on the roads of Kolkata.Same must be the case in other metros too.I have no interest in defending Skoda(I very much agree that there are problems and all the hue and cry are not wrong)but just expressing myself.It may very well be the case where Beauty kills the Beast!!!!

Fabia 1.2 TSI is a good engine but Skoda has really a poor A.S.S and reliability has become a big issue.

Try i20/Punto which is much better than Fabia.

check this

[/quote']

The current 1.2 Petrol engine is not a TSI engine.

As rssh has also said, Fabia is a good car but with a poor petrol engine (not customised for India) and very high maintenance cost. On top of that Skoda does not listen when their cars fail or their dealers cheat.

Thanks for your suggestions.I agree.However the point remains that today in our country if you want to buy a spacious hatch with European Build then Fabia is the only choice.

I disagree. i20 is selling like hotcakes in europe. this means that they would have accepted the build quality of i20. Yes build quality is not as great as the skoda but the greatness of the A.S.S. far outweighs that. In my opinion go for i20 1.2 asta with closed eyes. Just remember the beast in the hyundai of poor build quality is very small compared to the huge beast of poor and costly A.S.S in the skoda and the beauty finds the going tougher in skoda's case.

Thanks for all the advice.Actually I am in the process of deciding the best possible hatch on behalf of a friend of mine.After your suggestions I have decided to strike of  Fabia from my list.

My next choice is definitely then Jazz. I have observed the following points in regards to jazz:

1.Modern & good looking(thoug this is subjective)

2.Very refined engine

3.Good AC(very important)

4.Enjoyable city driving

5.Boot space is great and practical

6.Good interiors(not of fabia standard though)

7.Very ordinary ride

8.Rear seat comfort compromised for making them Magic Seats.You definitely expect better rear comfort from such an expensive car.

9.Should be reliable and frugal.

Actually price is also an important issue but in my friend's case that is not so important.

I think as an overall product Jazz is far ahead of I20.

So should I advice my friend to go for Jazz (which will also mean that Jazz is the best hatchback if you ignore the pricing part)????

PS: Mod will you change the topic heading to "Best Possible Hatchback".

yep.. jazz is the hottest attraction in the current market... if price is not an issue, jazz would be the best hatch to own.

but considering its price as compared to other cars in the same price band, the i20 comes in as a practical premium hatch. good A.S.S, good interiors, handling, space, cost of ownership, maintenance and not to forget some good fuel economy too. Remember now the i20 comes in a diesel variant and an automatic version too. And the 1.4 Diesel is quite a proven piece of engineering from Hyundai.

if price isn't an issue, i'd definitely go for the i20 diesel.

ya i love the Chevy SRV big time...

its a beautiful looking hatch.. definitely better than the Jazz :)

But it got a boot and a diesel engine to be renamed as the Optra Magnum Diesel.. great car tho!!