bluesapphire

Which Diesel SUV ?

Hey guys, after the launch of Fortuner, i thought to create this poll.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Hey guys, after the launch of Fortuner, i thought to create this poll.

• Toyota Fortuner
    • Chevrolet Captiva
    • Mitsubishi Pajero
    • Ford Endeavour

Hi guys, now from these Suv's which one will you choose if you were to buy any one from these. Nowadays the SUV market is getting competitive which is better for customer. I have not included Honda CRV, MS Vitara and Mitsubishi Outlander as they all are petrol and have almost same price as the above diesel SUV's so it makes no sense to buy a petrol SUV at almost same price of modern diesels.

So guys vote for your kinda SUV and if possible give reasons too.

Pictures of the SUV's are as follows.

Toyota Fortuner

new_fortuner_001.jpg

2009-toyota-fortuner-suv-02.jpg

toyota-fortuner-interior.jpg

Chevrolet Captiva

chevrolet-captiva.jpg

2008+Chevrolet+Captiva+rear.jpg

chevy-captiva-2-large.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero

2007-Mitsubishi-Pajero-13.jpg

2007-Mitsubishi-Pajero-14.jpg

Ford Endeavour

ford-endeavour.jpg

ford-endeavour-thunder-5-back.jpg

ford-endeavour-2.jpg

My vote goes for Chevy Captiva for its looks, interiors and features. Almost all cars have same features but captiva seems to have better fit and finish and better built quality interiors. Also the 2.0 lt diesel motor is very good.

Fortuner also looks good but i just cant accept those innova kind of interiors & it doesnt seems to have better quality interiors also. Also heard that its 3rd row seats are cramped but it looks huge from outside, Captiva has comfy 3rd row seats. Endy has better interiors than Fortuner.

Endy looks good and now it has better interiors and better engine too but cant have a car with bad ride quality due to its leaf-spring suspension.

Pajero feels outdated.

The captiva for me.. mainly because of its interiors and its fantastic diesel. Pajero and Endeavor very badly need a make over.

Fortuner loses badly on interiors...too similar to the innova. Still it looks macho.

My vote is for Captiva for its design and it is truly an international model unlike the Fortuner which is a pick up truck based SUV for developing markets like Latin American, African and some Asian countries. It is similar to the technique of building buses on truck chasis by putting some seats and a covering body. On the other hand Captiva is based on the "Theta platform" of GM which is exclusively used for mid-size crossover SUVs. This model is sold worldwide in different names like Captiva, Antara, Vue, Terrain etc by the different brands of the GM group.

The difference between a Captiva and Fortuner is like the difference between a Volvo bus and a "bus" built  on a Tata or Ashok Leyland truck chasis.

Anyway the sharing of platform for different types of vehicles is common nowadays to reduce cost. Toyota has not yet really understood the standard and potential of the Indian market. From their first Indian product ,Qualis which was a phased out model from the Thai and Indonesian markets. Toyota is not paying due respect to the demands of the Indian buyers. But since the Fortuner is a Toyota, it will sell like hot cakes for its reliability.
jimgeo2009-08-25 13:06:45

Fortuner for me all the way, its the best SUV in India in its price range at the moment. Toyotas reliability & good diesel are its USP's.

Captiva is a soft roader, Pajero is too old & dated, Endeavour comes 2nd for me.

Captiva is a ideal vehicle which does everything a urban indian would want to do with it.

But how about the Gypsy tough as nails cross country performance with the luxury of the Captiva at 5 Lacs.

Now that is something which will rattle the teeth of all car makers including Suzuki.

I will prefer Captiva mainly because i am more inclined to a soft roader than a SUV.

But if anyone is looking for a proper SUV within 20 lacs, Fortuner is the best option. Toyota's reliability is another plus.

I'd vote for the Chevy Captiva... m not a enthu off-roader.

The Fortuner definitely has the looks, but its Innova interiors just do not justify its cost. The Captiva is a better looking and well finished package overall with some unique equipment list too.

Well i drove fortuner and wasnt much impressed with the SUV. Although the engine was smooth although noisy but i didnt find it comfortable at rear & its Innovaish interiors. Although the ride quality was good. Fortuner's gear shift & gear lever needs a change, it was vibrating like hell, i was having a feeling of a bolero or 800 which have long gear levers and thus they vibrate a lot, also the action wasnt smooth either as you would expect it in 21.5 lac car. Many have complained that Captiva's gear isnt that good but then i dont think it would be as bad as Fortuner's atleast former one's looks sleek and small to hold. I have to drive captiva to check it, but overall its obviously captiva for me, it gives a 20lac car feeling which fortuner in any case doesnt gives be it interiors, comfort, features, etc.

Captiva all the way:

Reasons:

1. Made in Korea

2. Class Leading Fit and Finish

3. Luxurious Interiors. Feels you're in 20 Lac SUV

4. Refined and Less Body Roll

Unless one is going to go for extreme off roading, I can't see the need of a Fortuner. Only plus point of Fortuner is TOYOTA badge. It simply doesn't look like a 28.5 Lac SUV. It should have been priced around 15. Anyway for serious off-roading, our own home grown Gypsy is the adequate if not the very best.

Regarding the reliability issue I don't see Chevy going anywhere. How often have we seen Hyundais and Chevys braking down in the middle of a highway.

Also one to watch out for is upcoming SANTA FE by Hyundai. It's one of the top selling SUV's in America right now and it has got cracker of a diesel engine and refined interiors and most importantly it looks like a 20L SUV.

@Testosterone, I don't think Captiva is made in Korea. Its not a Daewoo product. Maybe the manufacturing is carried out in Daewoo's Korean plant then.

Also, Captiva is a soft roader/urban SUV.

I do agree on the Fortuner bit, its certainly overated. I tried it, even getting in/out needs effort.

There's error in your Fortuners price quote, its 18.5 & not 28.5L. I too think that its price should have been ~15L. Now, we can't ask for that because the wealthy Indians have already made a beeline for it. I can only see a hike in prices in the future.

Going by the past, I don't bet high on Hyundai offerings, they have been pretty average or even lesser.

Captiva is manufactured in Korea and is imported by GM India as CBU. Korean engineering is world class and right up there with the world's best. So I trust them. Fortuner is made in India and it's fit and finish/interiors are below par. Heck, they should have taken some leaf out of Mitsubishi (Outlander) book.

In India, 99% of all 20 Lac SUV owners will drive urban and will not take their vehicles for extreme off roading.

TOYOTA is enjoying their brand equity to the max.

Regarding Hyundai, take a look at GENESIS and you'll agre   e they have it in them to take on the world's best. They already have had success in small car segment (which is crucial in India). They are not doing good in luxury segment because of their poor marketing. Also the problem lies in our mindset that Hyundai is good enough for below 8 Lac Cars and nothing else.

It's like an American mindset that Indians cannot match us.....but to us whosoever says that is BS. Things change with time.

Hyundai's new "soon to be launched" "R" series diesels can put Toyota, Honda and even some of their European counterparts to shame. Hyundai After Sales Service is pretty good in India. I think it's just about time and they will be calling the shots. They just need to put their marketing and timing right.

Also it just gets to show you that Fortuner is grossly overpriced. Captiva, when it was launched around 18 months ago, was priced at 17.7 Lacs Ex-Showroom. Considering the fact that it was imported in India as CBU (attracting 110% Customs Duty/CVD/SAD), the pricing was excellent. It's only due to the Rupee has weakened against US$ the price of Captiva has increased to 19.63 Lac Ex-Showroom.

If Chevrolet takes some clue and bring in Captiva as CKD, that would allow them to price Captiva at around 15 Lacs. At 15 Lacs, it will most probably take out Endy and would match Fortuner in sales.

Fortuner, being a CKD, is grossly overpriced and manufacturers like Suzuki (Grand Vitara Diesel), Hyundai (Santa FE), Mitsubishi (Outlander Diesel), Honda (CRV Diesel), VW (Tiguan Diesel) and Chevrolet (Captiva) now would have realized the potential in this segment (going by the initial booking numbers of Fortuner). I expect some interesting things to happen in this segment in the coming few months.

In India Toyota and Honda sells. Period

Even if they spamp their logo in Trax Gurkha' date=' it will sell in thousands in this country.
[/quote']

cmmon don't give such closed eye statements, we all knws that how successful is Toyota's Fortuner overseas. they brought here the sheer pleasure to drive vehicle. just drive it believe buddya.smiley1.gif