achinth

Fiat may hike prices of India cars

Carmaker Fiat India Automobiles today said it will consider raising prices of its products as the margins are under pressure.

"There are no margins left ... We may look at revising our prices upward," Fiat India Automobiles President Rajeev Kapoor told reporters on the sidelines of the SAIM annual convention in New Delhi.

The company expects sales to cross 27,000 units this year on the back of newly launched small car Grande Punto and sedan Linea.

Kapoor also said the company would start exporting Linea to South Africa from September this year.

Fiat India Automobiles - the 50:50 joint venture between Italy's Fiat and Tata Motors, has recently arranged Rs 2,500 crore (Rs 25 billion) financing for completing the construction of its manufacturing facility at Chakan.

Fiat had announced Rs 4,000 crore (Rs 40 billion) investment in India operations.

Source: http://business.rediff.com/report/2009/aug/28/auto-fiat-may-hike-prices-of-india-cars.htm

not a good time to increase price of fiat cars, that is going to ruin everything for the reviving fiat. I don't see many Lineas n Puntos on the road and soon they are going to disappear if the prices are increased.

@karanraheja

how much is GP sales/month now?

I also think same if fiat increases its car price then their car will be lost in another world, it means none of any person buy it. still the car is having insufficient engine which makes too much effort to go to 100 km/hr !!

Punto is selling nearly 1600-1700 units per month. Number could have been much more if engine and FE was better. I think these two factors with the topping of bad ASS are reducing the sales figure.

Punto is selling nearly 1600-1700 units per month. Number could have been much more if engine and FE was better. I think these two factors with the topping of bad ASS are reducing the sales figure.

My dear Chawla ji, Fiat is selling whatever they are producing at the moment. Engine and FE are also very good with riding and handling quality unmatched in the segment. They are slowly increasing production and also need to produce for exports to those countries, where there is right hand driving, like S. Africa, Australia and others. cartoos2009-08-30 16:25:34

@cartoos: I am not saying Punto is a bad car. It is a very good car with best ride quality and handling in its segment but at the same point it lacks at three places engine, FE and ASS.

What makes you think that engine and FE are very good?

1.2 punto gives 68 PS @ 6000 rpm  whether Ritz 84bhp, Jazz 89 bhp power. Its pick up is slowest in all the new 1.2 liter engines. 0-80 it takes above 18 seconds whether other takes 14-15 second.

Power to weight for even 1.4 liter of punto is lesser then other new 1.2 engines.

FE for punto 1.2 is 9.7 in city and 1.4 is 8.5. How can you say it is good?

Look at the FE Linea petrol, driven on Delhi road at peak traffic time but without any traffic signal or any stopage for four Km.

These are widly thought underpowered because people are comparing them with over powered and lighter cars. Mine is 1.4 petrol

dsc001231c.jpgw800.png
cartoos2009-08-31 10:05:09

@cartoos: I am not saying

1.2 punto gives <SPAN id=lblPowerKW maxlength="3" columns="3">68</SPAN> PS @ <SPAN id=lblPowerRPM maxlength="5" columns="5">6000</SPAN> rpm? whether Ritz 84bhp' date=' Jazz 89 bhp power. Its pick up is slowest in all the new 1.2 liter engines. 0-80 it takes above 18 seconds whether other takes 14-15 second.
[/quote']

Any common man will understand that Fiat launched Punto 1.2 just for the sake of it, this model will not account even 10% of sales. There are atleast 50 reviews on Punto on tbhp and just 1 has got the 1.2 punto.

As for comparison with Jazz, you will get two Puntos 1.2 in the price of 1 jazz so just leave it. Jazz should only be compared to 1.4 petrol if fair comparison is to go by.

Have you tdriven Jazz? After we five seated in that, it was crawling and crying for more power.

Punto is 150 kgs more than Ritz and has a very solid body which works against the car as 1200cc is very puny for a car this size when i10 kappa also has the same engine.

FE for punto and 1.4 is 8.5. How can you say it is good?

Can you share your source of info? Thats a total baseless comment. I have to yet come across a GENUINE Linea owner petrol who has his city FE below 10 leave alone Punto which is 100 kgs lighter and ought to have better FE.

Contact, Cartoos, Nimesh, me, Jaisha. these are members who own Linea and have shown proof too and 8.5 kmpl was got by noone here. Am getting 12+ in city with my Linea so FE of 1.4 Punto is 8.5 is totally wrong.

FIAT is selling whatever they can with their past reputation which is improving leaps and bounds. Their margins are under pressure and they would have to increase prices.

Regarding Punto sales dropping, time will tell. It outsold JAZZ last month by double margin. Jazz sales tumbled 50% to 1000 cars from 2000 cars prev month. Here everything is there, FE, Honda name, engine but 50% sales drop in second month is bad for any car.

Ritz is the segment leader, thanks to the good K series engine and Maruti name.coolboy0072009-08-31 13:23:23

@coolboy:

Source for 1.2 car economy is autocar august edition where they have done full comparison of all 1.2 cars and for 1.4 you can find here: images.zigwheels.com/alfresco/INDT/Reviews/Punto12_20090616_images/Petrol-Ratings.jpg

@coolboy:

?

Source for 1.2 car economy is autocar august edition where they have done full comparison of all 1.2 cars and for 1.4 you can find here: images.zigwheels.com/alfresco/INDT/Reviews/Punto12_20090616_images/Petrol-Ratings.jpg

?

Leave the silly magazines, they may be biased. Just meet original owners, call them and ask them FE of Punto 1.4 and tell me 1 guy who gets such a miserable FE.

Its no use coming up with such posts, ACI hasnt much reviews. Go to team bhp and ini initial owners there are so many Punto threads. Browse through them and see what FE they show.

The MJD is giving 20+ on highways easily. Also rangc has posted his mileage figures for petrol Punto, 12 that too after a much wider tyre.

@ Cartoos,

Dont know what the intent is but one shouldnt run away, healthy discussions are always welcome. Prove your points with facts. So many Fiat threads coming in these days...coolboy0072009-08-31 19:23:53

Coolboy> this is why I have posted FE picture here but people here write out of other sources and they may be incorrect.

When I say run away was when I didn't get reply despite people are online for long time.

Sorry Chawla Ji, If heart you but atleast believe Fiat car owners.

@cartoos: You are using linea so you know what exactly you are getting see if i am not using for me source will be either the magazines, forums or people like you who are the owners.

See i loved punto so much after seeing it and that is why i read about it in all the magazines and forums and everywhere i found praise for its ride, handling, looks, quality but at the same time i found negative points like power/weight and FE.

If someone is putting something which is not correct you should try to correct it positively and not by writing something against the person. We all are here to learn from each other experiences not to exchange heat.

Hope i clarified my stand.

Hey one more thing i am planning to buy a petrol hatchback in next one month earlier i was considering Punto, Ritz and i10 but after reading about bad FE of punto i dropped punto from my list but as you guys are assuring me that its FE is above 10 (with AC) in city so i think i should add this back to my preference list. smiley2.gif

Hey one more thing i am planning to buy a petrol hatchback in next one month earlier i was considering Punto' date=' Ritz and i10 but after reading about bad FE of punto i dropped punto from my list but as you guys are assuring me that its FE is above 10 (with AC) in city so i think i should add this back to my preference list. smiley2.gif

[/quote'] Good, I also drive Wagon are and it was giving me FE of 10 before service last month and after service its giving 11 despite I am very gentle on padals.

In cars having MID ( Multi information display), Its very easy know FE, that way you can actualy know if car is giving good or bad for example you can visit Welcome Linea thread in this forum where I have posted it on page no 41.
cartoos2009-09-01 08:25:52