winner48

Premier Mini-SUV

Rio will be by-far the cheapest SUV in the country. The top-end variant will come loaded with features like ABS and airbags. Premier, in all probability will use its four-cylinder, 1.5-litre diesel engine, with 65 bhp mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

Expected launch: November 2009.
Expected Price: 5 to 7 lakh, On-Road

The Rio is actually the previous generation Daihatsu (a Toyota subsidiary) Terios that was replaced by the current one in 2005. Zotye had bought the tools and parts of the earlier Terios model from Daihatsu. It will compete against rivals like the Mahindra Bolero and the Maruti gypsy, both essentially more than 2 decades old, so the Rio's age old design won't be much of an issue. The SUV segment seems to be the one segment which accepts, infact it embraces age-old designs and technologies. It will have a slight disadvantage though, it is a strict five seater, unlike the wildly popular Bolero which can squeeze in 7 people. But the Rio will be almost a tonne lighter, hence much more driver-friendly and fuel efficient and much easier to live with in the city, thanks to the compact dimensions and lofty seating position.

@Mods, change topic

Premier Rio - November launch

The Doshis of Premier Auto have been waiting to be back with a bang. The company has tied up with a Chinese auto company Zoyte International to launch a mini SUV called Rio by the end of this year. The CKD version of the car will be assembled at premier's Chinchwad facility in Pune, where it currently manufactures Sigma van and Road-star pick-up. <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Rio will be less than four metres in length and will have a less than 1.5-litre diesel engine

Premier Automobiles has been come back again in the filed of auto industry. Premier made a mind to launch a Premier Rio mini-SUV segment model soon in India. The premier has made these models with fully support Chinese manufacture company zotye auto. The premier announced date of launch 28th of the October in Mumbai. It's SUV will expected power 65bhp. and also stylish look superb model in india. If any one want to buy a new Rio. Just wait for few hours than after take for it.      

I think what you say is true @ bala.

There is no existing SUV below the 6 lacs bracket.

This is going to be a hit. they should come out with AWD

I had remarked about a niche market for such type of a vehicle some where in the forum.

I think it is a very wise move.

Yesterday this car was launched.

After seeing the car, its price, its features, its quality and its interiors, just one word comes to my mind.

@Mod "Please close this thread, we have many other good autos to discuss, no point in discussing about this crap even for a minute"

Yes, chinese components means cheap plastics but seeing those doesnt seems that bad and tyres would be Indian for sure. And yes it should have all PW's atleast in top 2 models but i think base version is a good buy as you will get SUV feel and a diesel but then this is good old Peugeot engine and not a common rail. My opinion is mix about this car but i liked the looks.

I want to drive this but i think there is no dealer here.

Here are some pics from IAB.

4053935468_071c591a94.jpg

4053191495_3df13c9976.jpg

4053933142_7d8b36df6c.jpg

4053935658_77983f241b.jpg

4053934112_43676ca3cc.jpg

4053193365_a10a40b135.jpg

4053936802_d9cc6faeb6.jpg

4053194205_f144133ec2.jpg

4053194339_d63b82d7e5.jpg

4053198115_01fc41c2ca.jpg

4053193817_02fb22d548.jpg

4053194521_8828427228.jpg

4053197913_5b2981b8a7.jpg

4053197101_e0e6a9b896.jpg

4053195723_db09e71a73.jpg

Rio is a Good model we Indians need to begin with.......Good news is it has created a segment many manufacturers were reluctant to enter due to low margins......

Rio Price is High (or) not segmented properly is Premier's to deal with......Still people will buy this.....but will premier be able to make enough of it ??????

Seems Premier is playing safe as a Assembling - distributor rather manufacturer (more than 80% parts of RIO are imported)

Tata should seriously think  of bringing a Sumo Junior to compete with Rio & even Mahindra should bring a model to compete in this segment.....

Rio is a Good model we Indians need to begin with.......Good news is it has created a segment many manufacturers were reluctant to enter due to low margins......

You are right here. The one & only goodness with this SUV,sigh is, it has hit a nail in Tata's & M&M's head to bring more vehicles in this segment.

This car deserves Rs 4L, not a penny more
creativebala2009-10-29 11:13:59

You are right here. The one & only goodness with this SUV' date='sigh is, it has hit a nail in Tata's & M&M's head?to bring more vehicles in this segment.

?

?

This car deserves Rs 4L, not a penny more
[/quote'] It has not hit the nail yet, remember our manufacture will not enter this market unless Rio is a hit, if this one tastes success then they might think other wise even if they are planning to launch, they will shelve of the plans if Rio fails. So basically Rio decision maker for Tata and Mahindra. And more than tata i believer Mahindra has more potential to hit this segment with a better product.

But if Rio's plastics are similar to Tata/Mahindra/Maruti, has comfortable seating position and accepptable ride, it has potential to become a good seller as this one looks very good and interior designing isnt that bad and younsters will prefer it, but the main reason people will think before buying is Premier brand and its A.s.s, as many people dont even remember this brand it would be difficult to sell it in good numbers.

As far as price goes, yes its not that cheap, base variant with current features would have been priced at around 4.2- 4.5l ex-showroom pune.

tyres would be Indian for sure.

Its Kenda Tyres (a bicycle tyre co)' date=' will you buy a car, if it has Ralco Tyres.
[/quote']

Bridgestones(my favourite) would be offered on the Indian version.

Hey, how about some member testing it and write up a review here, that would be great as i want to know how this one really is?

My city doesnt have a premier dealer so i am not able to TD it. Mods will be driving it but i think there should be a TD report by our member also.