rahul1810

Cruzing and Driving the CRUZE: REVIEW

Commenting on the pricing of Cruze before the company reveals the same is like writing the horoscope of an unborn child. Lets wait until Chevrolet officially announce the price.

jimgeo2009-09-06 16:08:51

Hey guys

I found something interesting:

Since this car is a direct competition to Skoda Laura (Atleast for me)

I made a comparison

Skoda Laura / Chevrolet Cruze

Power (Bhp)::: 105 / 148

Torque (Kgm)::: 25.49 / 33

Acceleration 0-60kph (in seconds)

4.82 / 4.25

Acceleration 0-100kph (in seconds)

11.54 / 9.64

Top Speed (in kph)

185 / 210

Now here the things start to disappoint:

20-80 in 3rd Gear (in seconds)

10.49 / 13.83

40-100 in 4th Gear (in seconds)

12.46 / 16.38

As per my experience this is the most important factor during overtaking other vehicles.

I know the difference is small but I was actually expecting something better than Laura because of higher Bhp (+45 difference).

Fuel Efficiency was also low but that was understood so no problems in that deptt.

Can somebody tell me why is it so?

Thanks

Reports suggest the pricing of Cruze diesel to be at par with Civic. If it happens so, then there should be many takers for Cruze.Its much bigger, very good looking, loaded with features and as per ACI's review, is faster than all diesels in its segment and a few petrols as well. Now that's sounds very impressive!

Heard on CNB show that Cruze will be launched in Oct 09 with 2 Diesel variants only & will get Automatic in Jan 10

He also said that the variants will be prized between 13.5 to 14.5 lakhs

Do you think at 14.5 lakhs it will dent Skoda market? I dont think so especially due to Chevy badging what is expected is a more affordable car

I was benchmarking it at close to 11-12 lakhs to make any sort of major push but at 14.5 don't see the numbers being too many. :(
vineet2009-09-08 04:44:36

Can v expect discount on cruze?? as it is Dec and probably they would like to finish 2009 stock

As of now no discounts are given for the Cruze. Dont expect discount for any new launch.

Seems like Chevy Cruze has not been able to make a mark in North India (atleast in Chandigarh).

I can count maximum 5 Chevy Cruze for every 150 cars on road.

As for Toyota and Honda, the numbers are way way ahead than Chevy. Loads n loads of ANHC's, Altis, Laura's and even Linea's can be seen pretty often.

Mostly people in India have drivers driving they cars, so Cruze has failed to impress people like me, The comfort behind is worst then a Santro, the head room is so low > OMG am 5.11 and really bothers me.

The driving is fun, but how much can you do in a city like Mumbai ? Buying a Skoda, you will be more satisfied. atleast in Mumbai - A.S.S in very good.

GM sadly you have failed as usual. Your paying 14 lacks to get space of santro lol.

Note from mod: Use capital letters where required.
BornFree2009-12-13 19:02:43

Seems like Chevy Cruze has not been able to make a mark in North India (atleast in Chandigarh).
I can count maximum 5 Chevy Cruze for every 150 cars on road.
As for Toyota and Honda' date=' the numbers are way way ahead than Chevy. Loads n loads of ANHC's, Altis, Laura's and even Linea's can be seen pretty often.
[/quote']

This will make a good buss case study.

Both Altis and Civic are petrol cars and they lead the segment (Lately Civic sales has been cannibalized by  AHNC). 

Laura TSI is gem of car but does not match them in sales.

If folks thought diesel car was way expensive than Altis and Civic, Cruze was an answer. But it looks like cruze too has failed to make too much an impact.

So at the end of the day if one thought it is the brand image and reliability that counts for indian customer, then why couldnt SX4 and Verna take on City.

Consumers are ready to pay premium on City. Is it one gem of a product way better than others? i dont think so.

If Honda thought all its products would be treated as diamond, then it got it wrong with Jazz.

Toyota currently seems to be getting it all right in Indian market with 3 of its products ( Altis, Innova and Fortuner) being the respective segment leaders.

Can Toyota take on City?  I feel they are best contenders to take on City with a new car.

Everyone is trickling down to grabbing market share in small car segment. What does it require to take on Maruti and Hyundai ?

Service and Network more than pricing ? (spark hasnt ignited the sales at lower price point)

In the end there are more Q's than answers... whatever, the cars are selling faster than movies here.. This is indian consumerism..  

Consumers are ready to pay premium on City. Is it one gem of a product way better than others? i dont think so.

Oh J.Drive, stop this analysis. Leave aside everything. Go by the PRACTICALITY. And the bottom line is Chevy stands no-where near the Indian automotive giants like Maruti / Honda / Toyota.

And regarding your quote, it is a very debatable statement that you have made. Check out the extra deep analysis done by GTO on TBhp and maybe then you'll come to know why people prefer a Honda. It not just that people start following the brand blindly. FYI, Indian minds are one of the sharpest and highly analytical in the world. Honda have worked very hard on their machines and made their reputation, which makes them stand out from the other lot. We all know about Chevy's reputation, the bankruptcy and blah blah blah.

And IMHO, even if it was a Chevy Cruze Petrol version, i doubt if it would have made significant difference. smiley17.gif

Peace.

firstly, iam not anti-honda or pro-any manuf. ...

Nor did I say Chevy is a contender to take on Honda...

Its my feeling and so are many others that Honda cars are priced premium than what they deserve. And it is rightly to do so to match the demand and book profits. All i said is folks pay premium on City beyond it being a better product. So what parameters are those..  can you explain why (other than city) Honda cars are nowhere close to segment top-seller?

You wont find many folks saying same about Toyota.  Toyata is clear winner. Its right time they come with a car to take on City. And only they can do so.. maybe VW is next closest bet (with stakes in Suzuki )..

Next move from Toyota should be Altis Diesel (to seal top spot in the segment) and a smaller car to take on City.