sgiitk

Euro 4 cars!

Incoming E-IV regulations have posted their first casualty. saw on the CNBC-TV18 that Maruti has announced that it will withdraw the M800 from the E-IV cities next year. Watch and wait for more casualties.

good news. i pray that they make ABS and airbags compulsory as also some sort of crash tests so that carmakers dont fool the public by supplying unsafe cars

I do not think these are part of E-IV. I did read somewhere (and posted it on the forum) ages ago that crash testing is to be made mandatory and some old warriors like M800, Amby, etc will not make the grade. I think the topic was something like Crash Testing Mandatory.

The URL is

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=188&KW=crash+testing

sgiitk2009-01-22 09:50:50

good news. i pray that they make ABS and airbags compulsory as also some sort of crash tests so that carmakers dont fool the public by supplying unsafe cars

Yes that will be good. Well here in nz only two air bags are compulsory but they show ads which show how safe a car is with side air bags and so on so now every car maker gives them no matter what spec the car is. ABS, ESP, EBD is standard here.

Yes - but on a realistic note - anyone can buy and register a non compliant model outside of a Euro IV city and use it anywhere else.

The less said about emission norms and PUC certificates - the better. Anyone and everyone knows that these laws are toothless in India.

Its great to have stricter norms and cleaner engines (usually more FE as well) - I'm not trying to contend that. Just pointing out that existing vehicles need to be regulated as well.

dtandon2009-01-22 09:52:43

i think the time has come to give maruti 800 a decent burial as maruti did with d zen,esteem....i am curious as the 800 and alto have d same engine so how has d alto survived ???? i think d other casualty will be the omni and except that every car should manage to pull off !!!

Hi fellows, in some months time new Euro Emission norms would be coming into force in India. All the vehicles would be required to comply with them. Some cars are already Euro 4 compliant but others will have to adjust.

Changes would be carried out in non-compliant cars with minimal or no price increase for the consumers. What could come as surprise could be enhanced performance for some cars.

Otherwise some companies & their products were stagnant in the past & introduction of Euro norms forced them to carry out changes which only improved the vehicles in terms of drive ability. So, the situation turned out to be good from a consumers point of view, apart from doing good to the Environment.

Certain vehicles that cannot be tuned to future norms might be sold in Rural markets only & some might receive a fresh lease of life.

For a start, I've heard that Maruti is working on 800 to make it compliant. This move could give a whole new prospective to the aging but still contentious 800!

Other cars like Wagon-r, Estilo has already got a new engine, will get newer engines & the much needed spark.

Toyota would be adding an Intercooler to its popular Innova, this will come as a welcome change to the Innova & might add a few horses in the bargain.

I also think M&M workhorse, Bolero could get CRDI in all variants, if DI is not tunable to new norms. Again thumbs up for the consumer.

I've started this thread as it could be beneficial to people who want to buy a vehicle in the near future. They would get a fair idea on what changes are being carried & how much will they have to wait to lay their hands on updated cars.

Fellow members please add whatever info. you have about upcoming changes.

Is Linea petrol EURO IV ready as of now?

will it be in the near future? What about punto 1.2?

Do the Punto and Vista have same engines?

If yes, then why different BHP values and different torque values at different RPMs? smiley5.gif

I presume Linea to be Euro 4 compliant based on the fact that it is a newer car & has European origins. If not, I don't think it would be diff. to tune them for newer norms.

Regarding BHP, Torque, etc. its how diff. manufacturers tune their engines to meet their own specific goals. Some have FE in mind while others Performance. Whereas, most strive to strike a balance. Weight of the vehicle also has a bearing on these settings apart from many other factors.

By and large the older engines cannot be modified economically for EIV. Hence the spate of new engine designs. The fact that the newer engines are more efficient, powerful and lighter is the icing on the cake. With India increasingly becoming the manufacturing hub for exports it makes more sense to make the engines EIV and EV compliant. The differences, if any, will be in the ECU and the exhausr clean up plumbing. 

Checking out /developing cars for EIV can be done today. if you look at the spcs. the Octane/Cetane ratings do not change from Euro III. Only the sulphur content changes dramatically, esp for diesels. As for emissions there is a general tightening up. SPM emission norms are introduced for the first time in petrols.

sgiitk2009-09-08 03:24:42

So is there any news if Skoda Laura is Euro 4 compliant or not ? Dont think so though.

If not, are they changing the engine to CRDi as was heard sometime back. Anytimelines?

Also is it fair to assume Cruze as is being launched now will surely be 100% Euro 4 compliant!

Useful info. there SG, yes we as consumers stand to benefit with the new regulations because these force Auto companies to update tech. in the bargain providing something extra in terms of FE, power, etc.

Now, we need some stringent Safety/crash testing norms in place too!

@Vineet, I guess both Laura & Cruz shall comfortably pass these norms.

Will the Swift as well as the Swift Dzire petrol which currently has the 1.3 litre  87bhp G-series engine get the all new K12M engine from The Ritz petrol variant.in order to meet BS-4 norms??? Please provide info as I am planning to buy a  Dzire VXi within 2 months.. swiftvxi062009-09-08 10:40:56

Very interesting query there Swiftvxi! Yes, I do believe that Maruti would launch an updated Swift with KB series engine. Question though is "when"! Well, they have the engine & the capacity so it could happen sooner than we expect.

Lets see if there are some fireforks in store this Diwali, if not then New Year could bring about whole new celebrations!

Even i am keen to find out whether they will actually be plonking the Ritz' engine (1.2 L) in the dzire as well? Else do they have a 1.3 or 1.4 K-series engine or not? Any info or update on this would be welcome.

And interesting thing to be noticed is that with the Ritz' petrol engine, the Dzire will become even more VFM and the price difference between its diesel and petrol models will increase further!

can anybody throw light on the technicallity or technical difference between the Euro-1, II , III and IV compliant engines. Or it is merely a eyewash and companies make fool to the people for just minor alterations

Is Linea petrol EURO IV ready as of now?

will it be in the near future? What about punto 1.2?

Do the Punto and Vista have same engines?

If yes' date=' then why different BHP values and different torque values at different RPMs? smiley5.gif [/quote']

Linea petrol 1.4 and punto petrol 1.4 are euro 4 ready. Also the vista 1.2 petrol and punto 1.2 are euro 4 ready. They share the same 1.2 Fire 8 v engine.

The torque and bhp figures are achieved at diff. rpms in both because of different tuning. The Punto 1.2 is way better than the vista 1.2 in terms of drivability.

Now' date=' we need some stringent Safety/crash testing norms in place too!

[/quote']

What happened here? I had posted this two years ago citing Economic Times. They are too busy fighting to do anything useful on this, or maybe the Amby lobby got them!

I am all for it!

Can someone plz confirm if the following cars are Euro 4 Compliant?

Also incase they are not then what changes are expected (Major/Minor) and does it make sense to deffer their purchase for now?

1. Laura 1.9 TDI
  2. Laura 1.8
  3. Honda City (New)
  4. I20 - CRDi

I am safely assuming Cruze as being launched now will be a Euro 4 Compliant?

I would suspect none in the ANHC and i20 CRDE. I will be very surprised if they are not EIV, esp ANHC.

Laura may switch to the cRDI from PD. EIV has been there in Europe for ages, so it should not be a big issue for the VW family.

EIV has new and stricter norms for SPM emissions so diesels have more work to do.
sgiitk2009-09-10 09:41:33