sgiitk

Euro 4 cars!

Thanks for the info.

So does anyone have a idea when is Skoda supposed to make the change?

Also last i heard Yeti too was being launched with a TDI engine & not CRDi and more so as that is due in Jan 10 right before the Euro 4 kicks in

Thanks for the info.

So does anyone have a idea when is Skoda supposed to make the change?

Also last i heard Yeti too was being launched with a TDI engine & not CRDi and more so as that is due in Jan 10 right before the Euro 4 kicks in
HEY VINEET YETI IS COMING WITH CRDI ,THE PD ENGINE IS SAID AS TDI PD,AND CRDI IS TDI CR YETI IS COMING TO INDIA WITH ALL NEW ENGINES WITH PRICE TAG OF 12-15 LACS

Briefly, the key differentiators for E II,III,IV petrol and diesel are as below

PETROL :

Sulfur Content : This is measured in ppm ( parts per million parts, roughly equivalent to miligrams of sulphur per litre of petrol ) : the figures for various Euro grades are as follows,

E II -- 500 ppm, E III -- 150 ppm, E IV -- 50 ppm

Benzene content : This is measured as weight percentage of benzene in petrol : the figs are as follows,

E II -- 3 %, E III / E IV -- 1 %

Octane No : This relates to the knocking characterstics of the fuel. The number is obtained by comparing the test fuel with standard hydrocarbon fuel using an IC engine test assembly. the figs are as below,

E II -- 88, E III/IV -- 91

DIESEL :

Sulfur Content : E II -- 500 ppm, E III -- 350 ppm, E IV -- 50 ppm

Cetane No : E II -- 48, EIII / E IV -- 51

2) For petrol, Euro III will applicable in 11 cities of India including the 4 metros, from 1 st April 2005. E II will be applicable all over India from 1 st April 2005.

From 1 st Apr 2010 E IV will be applicable in the 11 cities and E III will be applicable all over India.

similar time frame exists for Diesel E II, III,IV.

3) Since oil refining companies ( who manufacture petrol and diesel ) have made substantial new investments to make their existing fuel grades, compliant to the newly coming Euro norms, they are looking for some premimum to recover their investments.

4) Euro III fuel can be safely used in Euro II compliant cars ( the reverse is NOT TRUE. You may damage your cat convertor ). You may not get the best benefit of Octane increase though, since higher Octane no. goes with higher compression ratio engine and your E II vehicle may not have higher compression ratio ( I believe GETZ has the best compression ratio to derive benefit from higher Octane ).In any case in those 11 cities, I believe you will have no option but to buy E III ( perhaps at a premimum ). This is logical since new cars will be E III ( and they cannot take E II ). Making two grades available is a big logistics problem and it does not help the oil companies ( monetarily ) anyway! Also the whole objective is to go to higher Euro grade to reduce sulfur in the emmissions.

If you have a Euro III vehicle and want to go countryside, you should be careful since you cannot put E II in the tank.

Trust this helps to reduce confusion. The numbers quoted are out of memory but I generally expect them to be correct.

@singhji1977: I think this has been discussed extensively in many threads, incl a couple started by me.

Forgive the comment but I think you have confused matters a bit.  You are talking of the fuel, but not of emissions! Also, in your discussion you have mixed up the current EII/EIII scenario with the upcoming EIII/EIV scenario.

Starting April all fuels (excluding the adulterated variety of course) will be EIII/EIV only. No EII will be left.

i. Once we are in EIII/EIV Octane / Cetane will be the same across the country, so you can go anywhere and get the same rating. At present there is a difference. A simple work around is to use IOC XP when in an EII city. Of course if Diesel engines have some fancy filtration for the SPM then that will be at risk in an EIII town.

ii. I suspect that XP and other Pemium fuels will have to go 95RON, the minimum required for Premium in EIII/EIV. See IOC have been clever - they just call it petrol with additives, in EIII cities. The name is a misnomer in my view.

So happy motoring come April!

I'll be getting delivery of Chevy Spark on this 20th... after going through this thread I'm wondering if Spark is Euro IV compliant. If not what are the implications? Do I need to go for the so called modifications so as to make it Euro IV compliant?

I'll be getting delivery of Chevy Spark on this 20th... after going through this thread I'm wondering if Spark is Euro IV compliant. If not what are the implications? Do I need to go for the so called modifications so as to make it Euro IV compliant?

I would not bother. You should be Ok with EIII (unless there is a new engine in the offing). There may be minor changes in the ECU and Cat. I have even heard that with EIV mapping etc. there may (possibly) be a marginal decrease in performance, and increase in consumption.

i just hope skoda dumps their lousy pump deuse engines due to the forthcoming euro 4 norms....skoda's cars badly need a crdi engine.

i believe premium fuels like speed,power are just a way to fool people...in some cases they are known to harm the engines due to the additives present in them..in india more emphasis should be laid on more purer and better quality fuel !!!

@singhji1977: I think this has been discussed extensively in many threads' date=' incl a couple started by me.

?

Forgive the comment but I think you have confused matters a bit.? You are talking of the fuel, but not of emissions! Also, in your discussion you have mixed up the current EII/EIII scenario with the upcoming EIII/EIV scenario.

?Starting April all fuels (excluding the adulterated variety of course) will be EIII/EIV only. No EII will be left.

?

i. Once we are in EIII/EIV Octane / Cetane will be the same across the country, so you can go anywhere and get the same rating. At present there is a difference. A simple work around is to use IOC XP when in an EII city. Of course if Diesel engines have some fancy filtration for the SPM then that will be at risk in an EIII town.

?

ii. I suspect that XP and other Pemium fuels will have to go 95RON, the minimum required for Premium in EIII/EIV. See IOC have been clever - they just call it petrol with additives, in EIII cities. The name is a misnomer in my view.

?

So happy motoring come April!
[/quote']

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdfCYRUS432009-09-16 21:34:33

i am sorry' date=' i am not able to paste the specs of Xtrapremium of IOC in tabular form here. the date got disalligned above. can anybody help me on . how to paste pictures ? and how to pase tables ?[/quote']

I had already put the link up at last twice.

IOC data does not give te specs required for  'Premium' under EII, EIII and EIV. The Bharat Petroleum file linked by me (amongst others) does. Also, you can Google for Premium Petrol uner Euro II, III andIV and you will find 93, 95, 95 RON as the numbers.

Singhji sir' date=' we will be more than happy if we get to know the crux of the matter. I think hardly someone will go through the entire post. [/quote']

The URL is

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdf

I did try reporting with a request for deletion of the long post and entering this URL, but the mods seem to be in a state of zzzz.....

As per a seemingly knowledgeable guy in honda dealership Honda and Toyota have jointly approached the government that instead of defining small cars give rebate to environment friendly cars and charge congestion tax to big cars if necessary only in the metros. This policy sounds pretty good. They have also asked for the scrappage scheme that was recently done in Europe.

EIV should have only a marginal effect on the power and economy. In fact the clutch of new engines coming out for EIV will impreove these. In the case of diesels I am not that sure since the SPM and NOx limitations may have some role to play

Singhji sir' date=' we will be more than happy if we get to know the crux of the matter. I think hardly someone will go through the entire post.

We know your knowledable and dont want you to post facts for suppoting your views.
[/quote']

Dear sir

how you became to kow that i am knowledgeful. infact i have raised earlier the query about the technical difference between E-III and E-IV engines but no body in the forum responsed to my query. Most of the members which give their opinion usually and mostly on each and every topic wished to keep silence on my query. atleas when i did my R&D on subject and come to conclusion and posted my opinion for the feedback of others then those more so called knowledgeful person intervened and found posting the URL of my source instead of discussing the topic. So CRUX OF THE MATTER IS WHAT IS TECHNICAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EURO-III and EURO-IV ENGINES?"

Sorry Singhji,

If my post hurts you. My point in the post is "since the post is too long, its meaning might be lost".

On the Topic, an EIII engine can be made into a EIV engine with ECU REMAP and adding some FILTERS to its exhaust system. As a result of this, the engine will become costlier and there will be a marginal loss in power

Since the oil PSUs say that are not ready to meet the April 2009 deadline for supply of low sulphur fuel, does that mean the present Euro emission norms will stay for the time being? What does it mean for people looking to buy Euro IV compliant cars, atleast in the interim period?

Since the oil PSUs say that are not ready to meet the April 2009 deadline for supply of low sulphur fuel' date=' does that mean the present Euro emission norms will stay for the time being? What does it mean for people looking to buy Euro IV compliant cars, atleast in the interim period?[/quote']

They did exactly the same when we went Euro-III. They can always buy from Reliance (and may be Essar) for the EIV cities!

Sorry Singhji' date='

If my post hurts you. My point in the post is "since the post is too long, its meaning might be lost".

On the Topic, an EIII engine can be made into a EIV engine with ECU REMAP and adding some FILTERS to its exhaust system. As a result of this, the engine will become costlier and there will be a marginal loss in power
[/quote']

Thankyou very much sir for clarifying my query.

Everyone knows the fact that in india 11 cities are going to have BS4 norms in 2010.

so when maruti suzuki has found its new Kseries engine and

Hyundai already has kappa engine which is euro 4 ready

what about the other car manufactures in india and what are they going to do to meet the BS4 engine norms either engine upgradation or an engine change..

eg., Ford, Tata, Fiat, Chevrolet, and other major automobile manufacturers in india..

Any information ????smiley38.gif