swiftvxi06

2010 Merc SLS AMG Gullwing Revealed

phpthumb_generated_thumbnailjpg-2-450x33

Mercedes Benz has revealed the original 300SL Gullwings next generation successor, the high anticipated SLS Gullwing ahead of its next week debut at the Frankfurt Motor show.

Featuring retro-inspired styling having upright fascia, drawn headlamps complete with the 70 degree opening Gullwing doors that made the original 300SL such a rage, the SLS AMG will come with a front/mid mounted AMG 6.3 litre V8 which develops a heady 571 bhp @ 6800 rpm and 480 lb-ft of torque @ 4750 rpm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed SpeedShift dual-clutch transmission which channels the power to the rear wheels. The motor is codenamed M159 and is considerably revised when compared to the current M156 engine which is fitted in almost every AMG offering. The M159 features restructured valve gear and camshaft, an all new intake manifold system, a dethrottled exhaust system and dry sump lubrication system which frees up the extra power.

Mercedes also claims a fuel economy figure of 18 mpg for this engine.

The light weight aluminium space frame chassis means

Looks fabulous to me. I would say, by far, this is the best looking Mercedes-Benz to be launched in the recent past. The "Gullwings" are awesome too and it has the same charm which the original 300SL had 60 years back!!!  

Ooooh!! The grill is absolutely gorgeous. 571 bhp means it will be a monster on the roads but 18mpg(7.75 Km/L) seems a little outrageous for a car with such a massive engine. I dont think it will deliver that much. What do you guys think?