creativebala

MultiAir- bring it soon FIAT

Fiat's Multijet is a great success for the company. On its line Fiat has MultiAir for petrol heads. In India, people buying a petrol car rarely turns their head towards Fiat. The Petrol hatch industry in India is also a very huge one.

MultiAir is much fuel efficient, low on emission and better performing and could make Kappa, k- series and other so called engines to run for covers

so dream this way, your Punto 1.2 giving 20+ kmpl and 70+ bhp

Facts for you,

Among the many benefits of the new MultiAir engine is up to a 10% increase in power thanks to a performance-oriented mechanical camshaft profile, a revised intake valve closing system which improves low RPM torque by up to 15%, and a 10% reduction in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions because of the elimination of pumping losses. More important is the fact that the new MultiAir engine can achieve up to an overall 25% increase in fuel economy compared to conventional naturally aspirated engines with the same level of performance.

In the future, MultiAir technology could see its introduction on Fiat's diesel engines as it promises to offer up to a 60% reduction in NOx emissions and up to 40% reduction of CO2 emissions during cold starts and engine warm-up.

creativebala2009-09-10 08:18:18

is it some kind of a joke getting 20km/lit on the petrol 1.2,i think this guy is trying to mislead or he is part of Fiat India trying to increase sales by giving wrong figures.I have never heard of any current petrol cars giving such an average.Any way i had a goog laugh reading this.

is it some kind of a joke getting 20km/lit on the petrol 1.2' date='.[/quote']

Sanjay, look out for everyday news paper and keep laughing, because our new RITZ is claiming similar mileage.

Today Fiat is surviving just because of one and only reason- Multijet

and when  Fiat can of bring gem of a diesel engine to people, why not petrol.

I just did a rough maths, ie 25% more of 15-16kmpl is around  20 (removed + here,   are u satisfied sanjay)

Also laugh for this,

Chevrolet Volt To Give 98 Kmpl - GM

creativebala2009-09-10 12:56:45

This twin air engine is engine of this year, best new engine, best sub 1L engine and best green engine.

But my wish is been unheard by Fiat for more than two years. This step by fiat literally kills petrol indica and petrol punto.

Let fiat hurry up soon or it will see the upcoming small petrol cars from both tata and fiat die naturally.

I think Fiat is still not very sure about 875cc twinair's success in real world scenario, that's why they have launched it only in Fiat 500. May be they want to fine tune it more before launching on other models.

@creaivebala - I don't want a car with twin cylinder engine making a auto rickshaw noise.Can't car companies make a good four cylinder engines.It really intriguing while bike companies are going for power and multi cylinder engines , car companies in name of environment are reducing number of cylinder, engine capacity for sake of fuel economy.

Next What single cylinder engine called ONE AIR from Fiat?

@golf

I don't think the twin cylinder still be bad. If it's bad, it wouldn't have won

1. Engine of the year 2011

2. Best sub 1L engine

3. Best green engine

4. Best new engine

With the sky high petrol hike we see in our country, I can live with little bit of vibration, if it's going to deliver me magical FE.

If this engine becomes their main engine for small cars ( Its naturally aspirated version is proposed to produce 60-65 bhp and current one with turbo produces around 85 bhp) what will happen to 1.2L engine. Then its production may be completely stopped.

The amount of tech that will go into smoothen out the vibes of the engine would make it out of reach of the third world common man. It would make more sense if Maruti bought 'out' the engine and plonked it in it's cars then it would sell; not in a Fiat.

Durango Dude2011-05-20 12:36:07

@bala- just because someone in Europe votes it best engine etc.I would not accept it blindly.If I go by your words then I should by a Tata Nano as it is the Indian car of the Year - but we all knew what has happened and how comprised the car is.

Also IMO  there is nothing special in Twin air apart from so called fuel efficiency , power.fuel economy  depends on tarffic conditions and driving pattern and multitude of factors.If fuel prices is a concern I will buy an electric car better still electric scooter than go for this Twin

Whatever superior quality engine Fiat makes, they are not able to reap the best sales with the cars in their own brand name. It is the fate of  Fiat  in India that they will never enjoy a good market share. But their engines can do it.

A good engine alone wont make a car well acceptable to the customers. It needs a perfect blend of overall product quality, fit and finish, effective marketing, efficient after sales service, a good brand image and resale value. Just think how many boxes Fiat ticks on the above factors.

The Best thing about FIAT(Italy) is that they always come out with biggest breakthoughs in technology &

The Bad thing about them is that they spend all of their funds in developing them, leaving behind nothing to provide backup or Aftersales support to them.

Afterthat they gets onto the verge of bankruptcy, then they sell their Patent technology & comes with new technology again after few months everytime.

Their this vicious cycle goes on regulraly & gets repeated once or twice a decade. 

Other biggest breakthroughs of FIAT Italy, which ones I remember are;

-CRDi(Common-Rail Direct Injection Diesel engine tech) -Later on sold to Bosch for above quoted reasons.

-MultiJet diesel engine technology -Brilliant & highly acclaimed but again more enjoyed by Suzuki, Maruti Suzuki, GM & Tata Motors.

-Twin cyl Multi-Air Petrol engine tech.

The amount of tech that will go into smoothen out the vibes of the engine would make it out of reach of the third world common man. It would make more sense if Maruti bought 'out' the engine and plonked it in it's cars then it would sell; not in a Fiat.

well seeing creativebala cornered , and the good old FIAT being whipped around, i surely feel for fiat and the twin enginesmiley19.gif

c/mon guys, they produce the some of the hottest cars worldwide, i still feel linea turbojet and grande punto could become segment leaders, not just because of looks , but what amazing cars they are.

in this scenario, fiat must get its ass , part availability and some things here n there to fill up that gap that has spoilt fiats image

fiat has always made iconic cars, the padmini was an icon car of the generation gone by,

even the siena , which dont work well as much still sold , i still find an odd uno or siena on roads, and regarding the palio, especially the gtx, well cracker of a car

now they have the turbojet, which looks the best , screams the best, offers maximum bang for buck but then ......the ass and parts issue crops up

i still feel 1.6 mjd can turn things around for fiat, given it improves all that everyone knows is screwing fiat

with tata or no tata, fiat must back up its products well

heck , even volkswagen has tied up with maruti

and skoda too doesnt have a decent ass so wonder what the fiat saga unfolds like

fuel efficiency is the need of the day

i am sure twin engine will be a hit if fiat prices the car right,

and no. i dont want maruti to plonk it in theirs, let fiat taste glory too

Fiat bought good cars to the market but most of them flopped -the myths

• Some say it is due to A.S.S but truth is even Skoda which has the worst reputation in A.S.S sells more cars than Fiat
  • Engines - Fiat petrol engines are not known for fuel Economy, refinement  same will hold true for VW Polo
  • Product - fit and finish is poor - Tata's products even after 11 years quality is below Industrial standard
So why is Fiat is not selling well?

1. The answer is simple - VFM - which Fiat lacks.The Punto is overpriced when compared to competition.even UNO was overpriced.Indian Customer only looks for VFM which Fiat products lack.The indian customer wants everything within a shoestring budget.

2. Weight - Fiat cars are heavy when compared to similar cars taht affects Fuel economy

3. Premier Padmini - Yes this so called Iconic  car has destroyed Fiat reputation - so even a single problem is exaggerated by people (as if VW cars doesn't have problems )due to the aversion to Premier cars.
So question comes is- Twin air - should Fiat bring it - NO.Let the technology mature.What I mean to say even if you bring efficient engines , if weight of car is not reduced - the benefit is negligible.- You can't defy Physics

Instead it should work to reduce weight of its car , bring more features at a very low price like Ford has done with Figo or Beat by GM

Hang on guys,

Who said its not introduced yet?

Its very much available in the foreign markets and the Multiair technology is a FIAT patented technology...

Yes, this technology is true to its words and is remarkable...

Check this out and possibly believe in what the author says...

The answer is simple - VFM - which Fiat lacks.The Punto is overpriced when compared to competition.even UNO was overpriced.Indian Customer only looks for VFM which Fiat products lack.The indian customer wants everything within a shoestring budget.

Punto is actually VFM' date=' but people starts to compare it with a car that is a segment lower, i.e, Swift/ Vista. Fiat should make the public understand, Punto is in i20/Fabia leauge and Punto is atleast a Lakh cheaper than competition.

So question comes is- Twin air - should Fiat bring it - NO.

Let the technology mature.

I started this thread 2 yrs before, so I think 2yrs is good enough to mature.

Instead it should work to reduce weight of its car ,

800 cc engine will weigh substancially lower than 1.4L engine. Strong panels remains a pros for Fiat/VW/Skoda

bring more features at a very low price like Ford has done with Figo or Beat by GM
Yes, I too need a Punto Dynamic or Active with optional ABS, that should be super VFM.
[/quote']

THE main reason for public avoiding Fiat remains, non-availability of spares. Fiat should start a single window online spares management, where customers can place spares order and know of its status too.

Also Fiat should refrain from offering good engine only in its top end. Who will pay such a huge amount for Fiat? Offer the VGT on Punto & TJet on Linea across variant as option and see the sales chart.

Fiat bought good cars to the market but most of them flopped -the myths

• Some say it is due to A.S.S but truth is even Skoda which has the worst reputation in A.S.S sells more cars than Fiat
  • Engines - Fiat petrol engines are not known for fuel Economy' date=' refinement  same will hold true for VW Polo
  • Product - fit and finish is poor - Tata's products even after 11 years quality is below Industrial standard

1. The answer is simple - VFM - which Fiat lacks.The Punto is overpriced when compared to competition.even UNO was overpriced.Indian Customer only looks for VFM which Fiat products lack.The indian customer wants everything within a shoestring budget.

2. Weight - Fiat cars are heavy when compared to similar cars taht affects Fuel economy

3. Premier Padmini - Yes this so called Iconic  car has destroyed Fiat reputation - so even a single problem is exaggerated by people (as if VW cars doesn't have problems )due to the aversion to Premier cars.

Instead it should work to reduce weight of its car , bring more features at a very low price like Ford has done with Figo or Beat by GM

[/quote']

Punto is actually VFM' date=' but people starts to compare it with a car that is a segment lower, i.e, Swift/ Vista. [/quote']

Yes but in our country where people by gold for its VFM investment Punto looks like a mismatch.It has to be priced lower like VW is doing with Polo.

I started this thread 2 yrs before' date=' so I think 2yrs is good enough to mature.[/quote']

What I mean to say is that price of this engine even in European Market is high , so even after two years it means the technology is not cost effective for mass production that is replacing the base engines with twin air- so technology hasn't matured.

Strong panels remains a pros for Fiat/VW/Skoda

Again I will say you can't defy Physics bala.Weight has to be reduced at expense of so called toughness as long it  safety requirements at met

Yes' date=' I too need a Punto Dynamic or Active with optional ABS, that should be super VFM.

[/quote']

The marketing strategy requires that Punto shed its weight ,Fiat opens dedicated showrooms and separate A.S.S and launch Punto at a price strategy similar to VW Polo - add more features to basic model price it close to LXI Swift otherwise Punto will go like Palio.

THE main reason for public avoiding Fiat remains' date=' non-availability of spares. .

[/quote']

I don't think so bala.There is spares constraint even with Polo so I don't think this is the cause

Also Fiat should refrain from offering good engine only in its top end. .

The petrol engines from Punto require dire attention especially 1.2 which lacks both power and drivability when compared to even Polo 1.2 - so first concentration should be bringing improved basic petrol engines.

This has been an Achilles heel for Fiat since UNO days - their petrol engines always bombed in Market and this took with it diesel sales down with it.

The problem with Fiat is poor marketing of its diesel engines and are quite expensive when compared to Swift which is your benchmark.- thats the fact one has to acknowledge and also space wise interior space is less for rear seats when compared to i20 so People will compare it with Swift or a segment lower.

GOLF2011-05-23 07:54:37

Why Fiat is not deploying their multiair technology or turbo to their 1.2L engine? If they are going to stop its production, they should hasten the deployment of twinair on their small cars.

Fiat has launched its twin air engine in its luxury brand lancia/Chrysler.The 900 cc engine is part of three variants of engine available in Lancia Ypsilon.The Ypsilon will be sold as lancia will in Europe and as Chrysler in USA and  UK.

The Ypsilon is built on a stretched Fiat 500 platform.

( source - Autocar.co.uk)

GOLF2011-05-27 13:33:10