Sign in to follow this  
Akshay

Autocar rail test - seeking a few clarifications

Hello,

I would be thankful if the ACI team could clarify my following doubts about the rail test of WDG-4 locomotive. Also mentioning some more facts.

Seatbelts are not really required for locomovites. There will be no quick acceleration/braking and collisions are very rare. In fact, if the drivers sense a collision imminent, they tend to get out of the cabin of the locomotive.

Maximum allowed speed of WDG-4 is only 100 kph.

WDG-4 is very efficient for hauling freights as freights are limited to 75 kph. Low and mid range are WDG-4's strong point. Acceleration is slow after 40-50 kph.

WDP-4 struggles with long passenger rakes (23-24 coaches).

I would like to know the source of acceleration figures. I think that they are of a light locomotive. The WDM-3D hauling rajdhani express will not be able to reach 90 kph in 68 seconds. In fact, No locomotive hauling a train will be able to do this.

Airconditioned driving cabs are a distant dream in IR, where sometimes locomotives do not have proper seats also.

LHF visibility is not much of an issue for drivers.

Well firstly look at the wap5 engine which shunts rajdhani of mumbai it has built in ac even the new local trains motor cabin have ac, I agree with seat belt thing , the new diesel engine is reguarly in use to haul the jan shatabdi express of mumbai to goa and sitting in I can say it has the one on the best accleration figures for a diesel engine except for few shocks .The maximum allowed speed for a engine is not restricted on its power but the terrain and the conditions of tracks .Try travelling in bhopal shatabdi at 150kmph from delhi to agra makes it frightening to look out from the window.

check this video

Well firstly look at the wap5 engine which shunts rajdhani of mumbai it has built in ac even the new local trains motor cabin have ac' date=' I agree with seat belt thing , the new diesel engine is reguarly in use to haul the jan shatabdi express of mumbai to goa and sitting in I can say it has the one on the best accleration figures for a diesel engine except for few shocks .The maximum allowed speed for a engine is not restricted on its power but the terrain and the conditions of tracks .Try travelling in bhopal shatabdi at 150kmph from delhi to agra makes it frightening to look out from the window.

check this video

[/quote']

I would like to differ. AFAIK, only 3-4 WAP-5s have AC. Now the regular link for Mumbai Rajdhani is WAP-7, not WAP-5. The locomotive used for goa Janshatabdi is the older Alco one (the blue loco seen in  the photo hauling rajdhani), not WDP-4. I have said that WDP-4 struggles with long rakes only. I did not say anything about short trains (goa janshatabdi is hardly 10 coaches long).

Maximum allowed speed for an engine IS restricted by factors in the engine (not solely power). The terrain and track condition limits the maximum speed of trains, i.e the coaches and locomotive of the train will be fit for higher speeds under normal conditions, but due to terrain/track condition, it is restricted to a lower speed. For example, if due to failure of a 130 kph fit locomotive hauling Rajdhani express, a freight locomotive is given as a replacement for the failed loco, even the rajdhani express will have to run at 100 kph only due to the limitationsof the locomotive. It will not be able to run at its normal 130 kph.

Sorry missed one point. Only one rake of all the new rakes has AC motorman's cabin. What is visible on the roof of the driving cabins is not an AC, but it is the equipment for forced ventilation of the passenger area.

Well next time look the carrier logo on the new rakes next time they are A/Cs also I kind of have a little more knowledge as I have asked the motorman once about this . They only use the A/C when hot conditions are applicable. THe forced ventilation is only for passengers . Let me confirm about the WAP7 of mumbai rajdhani .

You are right about it now hauling bigger rakes also for safety reasons railway now uses 2-3 engine to haul 45+ coaches.

Dear rssh,

By new rakes, I assumed them to be the new white and voilet rakes (like this rake). Only one rake of this type has airconditioned driving cabs. Moreover, the AC equipment in that rake is not roof mounted. I have personally been inside the cabs of a few of these rakes.

There are three to four older rakes having roof mounted AC. They look like this. If you notice carefully, this rake does not have airconditioning. Here is a similar rake which has airconditioning. (All photos clicked by me)