new hot hatch war- VW Polo & Ford Figo

Your Choice of Hot Hatch, please share why  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Your Choice of Hot Hatch, please share why

• VW Polo
    • Ford Fiesta
    • i20
    • Punto

The whole country is awaiting the arrival of these two hot hatch. Both has its own good and bads. Lets discuss here your view on this. Lets not forget the other two just launched i20 & Punto

ford-fiesta-s-tmr-5.jpg 2010-Volkswagen-Polo-Front.jpg

ford-fiesta-hatch.jpg Volkswagen+Polo+4.jpg

hyundai-i20.jpg2008-fiat-punto-turbo_460x0w.jpg

VW Polo

German Engg, Solid Looks, Good Engine(belief in VW),Competitive price(promised), brawny

Ford Fiesta

Aggresive Looks, Fun to Drive(property of ford),Competitive price, sporty,

proven powerful yet frugal 1.4 duratorq.

Whats your choice and why

I named it so because I have seen this car in flesh near my home. If you see it from the front, Figo looks exactly the same as Fiesta except that chrome strip.

Even if you were with me on the road, you would have exclaimed new Fiesta hatch mannn

So this confusion

Polo will probably be the best built car but most probably the most expensive to maintain too. No fault of its own but its a European car. Although VW is planning to price it competitively so that will attract buyers quite a bit.

i20 and Punto will be a bit old compared to the other two by the time they released. i20 would probably be near its mid life facelift. Being Indians we are attracted towards everythign thats new smiley4.gif and therefore I expect the new ones to do better.

Ford Figo would obviously be the best drivers car out there and considering the fact that they are planning to launch it with a shockingly low price(as said by Autocar India I expect it to emerge the winner.

i20 and Punto will be a bit old compared to the other two by the time they released. i20 would probably be near its mid life facelift. Being Indians we are attracted towards everythign thats new smiley4.gif and therefore I expect the new ones to do better.

This is a shocking post man, i20 and punto are barely out (just around 3 months, considering only diesel) and are fresh designs man, and POLO & FIGO will be out in say 3-4 months, but seems dated even today, so nothing drastical is going to happen.

Even if you see after one month of all 4 cars launched, the looks order will be

Punto> i20> Polo> Figo

I did not mean they would be old-old but its appeal would have deminished by the time these cars come out i.e. 2010 Jan and Mar(polo and figo respectively) which is still quite far. You will see their sales figures fall as soon as these cars come out.

I think I'd stick with i20, with my good experience with Hyundai service, I doubt whether all the other's will able to match Hyundai on that count. I'm especially wary of VW Polo and it's service costs. Fiesta being a very recent model from Europe, I think it'll take sometime for the service cost's to come down to earth. I'm alway's comfy with either Japanese or Korean, for their service is way above any of the others here in India.

In my Opinion, Punto is the hottest hatch today in India, only the VW Polo has some looks, agility,etc to challenge its rank/position here.

Only the area of concern with the latter will be its NVH levels of 3-pot 1.2 TDi Diesel motor(can't forget the Scary & shaky starting of the 3-pot 1.5l Accent CRDi).

So It'll be Interesting to see, where will the VW's TDi stand infront of the Fiat's silky smooth MjD !! Especially In terms of NVH while Performance wise-both seems to be almost same.

VW Polo 1.2 TDi              Fiat Punto 1.3 MjD

Power                          75PS@4200rpm                76PS@4000rpm

Torque                       180Nm@2000rpm             197Nm@1750rpm

Transmissions                5-Speed                               5-speed

0-100kmph                     14.4secs                                17.84s

(Source:Company Brochures & ACI)

Polo's diesel motor would be more in tune with Skoda Fabia's diesel unit. Ideally VW should have improved the NVH levels because Skoda received a lot of flak for the noisy engine.

Btw, 0-100 times of Polo are superior to Punto's.

My vote goes to the VW Polo, because i think it will be the small car that redefines pricing associated with good quality, teaching Honda and Toyota a lesson or two,if priced appropriately, which i feel, will be spot on.

VW Polo 1.2 TDi              Fiat Punto 1.3 MjD

Power                          75PS@4200rpm                76PS@4000rpm

Torque                       180Nm@2000rpm             197Nm@1750rpm

Transmissions                5-Speed                               5-speed

0-100kmph                     14.4secs                                17.84s

When both these cars are indentical in Specs and should be identical in weight, so how come big diff. in 0-100
creativebala2010-02-07 04:12:26

@CB: It all boils down to gear ratio's and which car make's most torque at a lower rpm and also the weight of the car. Polo may have shorter gear ratio's, to aid driveability and the Punto may have taller gear ratio's for better fuel economy. That's the reason why the MJD behaves differently in the Swift and Punto, and also the ECU setting's.

When both these cars are indentical in Specs and should be identical in weight' date=' so how come big diff. in 0-100
[/quote']

graphic1uw.jpg

Its healthy, linear & steep torque Curve is responsible for this spirited performance.

(Source: VW Polo company website)

No, the Gearbox alone can't do that much in improving its Performance, as its not just the sole reason behind the Punto & Swift's performance difference, alot more reasons are behind this, like:

-Different ECU & its tuning settings.

-Heavy Kerb weight of Punto's Chassis.

-Different, Shorter Gear Ratios of Fiat to tackle with its heavy body.

Installing a new Gearbox in it with the Taller Gear ratios will just improve the Top Speed in Gears only, but on the other hand it'll more adversly affect its performance & make it more Sluggish even than the Current version, thanks to its heavy body weight.
dr_nishu2010-02-07 09:36:03