creativebala

Ford's New Small Car : Ford FIGO

at the reported price of 3.6 lakhs for petrol and 4.8 lakhs for diesel, the deal gets tempting. moreover it looks xtremely spacious by dimensions. looks are not extra-ordinary,but not a bad looking car. if ford gets the a.s.s and customer satisfaction right,, it will surely hit the jackpot

Its the new Fusion which has been reduced in size and has minor headlamp and bumper job but still it looks great . One thing isn't the 1.2lt engine going to be puny in this car also it might end up having 75-80bhp but poor low end torque like the jazz.

Fords pricing strategy is unique, espescially how they differentiate the pricing between their diesel and petrol variants.  Here the expected price is given 3.6 for petrol and 4.8 for diesel.

Here is very curious data. Difference between SXi models of Fiesta Petrol and diesel models is 1.07 lakh otr according to ACI, while difference between Fusion+ petrol and diesel variants is only 50000 rs. So they are charging atleast 50000 premium on fiesta diesel sedans.

While the price of petrol engined figo seems allright, if diesel is priced at 4.8 it will get thrashed by the multijet family which are more powerful and refined, and probably by i20 if diesel if its price comes down by then.

Looks like a re-skinned Fusion to me, handsome but conservative. I'd prefer a old Ford Ka to this, anyday. Bet, by the time it's out it would have aged pretty badly like the present Fiesta which looked old at time of launch itself. Why doesn't bring some thing like an old gen Ford Ka, that's one funky Ca®. But the car will be a real small ca. It may not work in the Indian context, especially, since we like to pile it in, with people, of course. Have look at the pics of the Ford Ka.

20090923_173351_2009_ford_ka_of.jpg

20090923_173441_Ford-Ka_2009_80.jpg

20090923_173533_Ford-Ka_2009_80.jpg

20090923_173626_Ford-Ka_2009_80.jpg

expected price is given 3.6 for petrol and 4.8 for diesel.

The 3.6L petrol would be the bare stripped version, the one without PS to compete with santros and spark .

Diesels would start off with a fairly equipped varient as this will be the cheapest CRDI diesel so no need to strip it further to catch market share. so this huge difference

Ka is a reskinned 500, I think, your wish of a 500 at 3.5L is tooooo much

Ka and Fusion/Fiesta/Figo(Whatever this is) are completely different cars. I dont think they even share the same wheel base.

Ka is a nice looking car but as both of you said, its way to small for us and with the amount of people we pile in, the bigger the bettersmiley4.gif

The 3.6L petrol would be the bare stripped version' date=' the one without PS to compete with santros and spark .

Diesels would start off with a fairly equipped varient as this will be the cheapest CRDI diesel so no need to strip it further to catch market share. so this huge difference

[/quote']

I dont think base variants will differ for diesel and petrol, there is no evidence for that, a mere speculation/anticipation is no use

The car looks good, seems similar in dimension to the Fusion and with that kind of pricing is very tempting. It should have been on sale right away as march 2010 is 6 months away and after six months  the cars do become old nowadays and by that time many more new cars will come up with new E4 engines.

My personal opinion: Figo is not an exciting car to look at. To me it looks like the old Fiesta hatch modified in a local work shop like some people modify their old Ambys and Fiats. Instead of launching the phased out Fiesta with a new name and cosmetic changes, Ford could have just brought in the 1.2L petrol engine into Fusion and priced at Figo's range. The Fusion looks much better than this crap. They could have retained the higher ground clearance of Fusion which would have been a better option for the  Indian roads and look sportier and macho like a mini or pseudo SUV. What do these companies like Ford think about India? Do they still have the feeling that India is a dumping yard for all the wastes? Don't we also pay money to them to buy a car or peanuts? Figo is just an insult to us Indians by Ford.

I completely agree with the above point. When I heard about Ford's proposed small car, I was expecting the European Fiesta or atleast a 5 door version of its Ka. Never I thought its going to be the same last-gen Fiesta reskinned to look like Ford's current crop of cars (with its grille changed). But I hope it succeeds in India as it is going to be Ford's desperate attempt to become a volume player in India after so many years of so-so existence.

atleast a 5 door version of its Ka. 

again and again people are talking about Ka for the price band of 3.5 L-4.8L,  this sounds toooooooo illogical

Please understand, Ka is similar to Fiat 500,   its like saying, Fiat should have brought in Fiat 500 instead of Palio in the price band of 3.5 L-4.8L

True, the Figo is based on the present Indian Fiesta platform. The latest European Fiesta if and when introduced will be more expensive and might slot into the i20/Fabia category.

What Ford need right now is a car that can do good numbers. For that they need a car in the swift/vista segment. The Figo fits that bill.

FIGO to me looks already outdated before launch in looks department ! Though from pics it looks spacious, it should have good interiors ( from artists impression) and the tdci should be the hot seller. From what it looks like - i think it would be a VFM .

8195_000004293277108.JPG

This looks preety i20'ish! Though hopes from Ford aren't very high due to the medicore performance it has showed in the past & also due to the fact that this car is a modified version of the Fiesta & not a completely new car.

the first one looks exactly like the current gen fiesta in europe and north america.I have a feeling that the second one comes very close to what is coming.im kinda hoping that the fiesta comes to india-but itll probably be priced higher than expected-it might compete with the civic actually

The design of the Figo is nowhere near the Punto or Jazz or i20. The front bumper and grille  looks overdone. In some angles it looks my neighbours bulldog!!

Like DD has mentioned the Ka is more refined and fresh looking, design wise. A 5 door version of Ka would be the best bet for Ford if they are planning for the launch in march 2010.

figo looks like a last gen european ford fiesta hatchback.So being a old model it can be priced lower and i think it will compete with i10,ritz etc and cars even below it.Cars like punto,i20,fabia,and the to be launched ones polo,micra needn't worry.Also figo might at max come with a 1.2 L petrol,nothing bigger. I don't expect features like climate control....in figo.

The car looks good' date=' seems similar in dimension to the Fusion and with that kind of pricing is very tempting. It should have been on sale right away as march 2010 is 6 months away and after six months? the cars do become old nowadays and by that time many more new cars will come up with new E4 engines.

[/quote']

I have the same views as yours.

This car is a heavily restructured version of the FUSION.

The stance and the overall view is of the FUSION.

If a close examination of the A pillar and the application of the front wind screen is taken as a reference then it is the same, I am convinced.