vineet

Laura / Civic / Corolla: Sales Figures

what do you guys think is the profile of the 2nd hand buyer in this segment?

IMO a person buying a vehicle for private use costing around 6-9Lacs will look to buy a new car. 2nd hand cars in this segment are mostly bought by taxi operators/fleet owners.

Well i have seen many people buying used car in this price bracket. The cars like Sx4, City, Civic, Corolla, Octy, Laura are good seller in used car markets.

There are many reason behind this:

1.) The value of used car is already much depreciated so it does not depreciate further and thus can fetch good resale even after short time. There are many people who keeps cars for 1-2year and thus prefers used cars.

2.) People dont prefer to have loan and while there are many people who cant buy a car on cash for I.T purpose, so we can say white money also forces people to have used cars when they are not interested in Loans.

3.)When some good car comes across which is just few months used with less clocked KMS, many people prefer them over new one as its available at good price.

There may also be some other reasons for that.

@BS: I think you're combining two segments. SX4 & City cant be combined with Laura,Civic and Altis.

If im looking to buy a car and have 2 options - new SX4, Fiesta, City and 2nd Civic/Laura/Altis - I'll go for the new vehicle. I'll even settle for a new M800 vis-a-vis a used Ikon etc...Kinshuk2009-12-09 07:20:14

@kinshuk

Lets if a 1 yr used civic sells at 5 lacs, you may find it attractive. If not you, someone will. The point is that the price point is dictated by the supply / demand for a car. The Q was which of these 3 D-seg cars command better resale value. Most folks feel it should  be altis.

So here we go.. my heart says Laura and my mind says Altis.

The thread was started with intent of choosing the best of the 3 by also inferring the resale value from sales figures. see below. So our discussion is as per context.

Was wondering if anyone has data to suggest how many of these cars were sold in past months (say since June 09)?

• Laura Petrol 1.8

• Civic

• Corolla Altis

This should be a fair indicator of market perception of the product & also reflect in long term resale.

Heard that Laura (P) has a 15000 KM service interval? Is this true?

@JDrive: Agree with you on the demand supply aspect but people in India will find value even in junk! There was a group of scrap dealers who bought a crashed airplane in an auction thinking it was made out of silver!

@BS: I think you're combining two segments. SX4 & City cant be combined with Laura' date='Civic and Altis.

If im looking to buy a car and have 2 options - new SX4, Fiesta, City and 2nd Civic/Laura/Altis - I'll go for the new vehicle. I'll even settle for a new M800 vis-a-vis a used Ikon etc...[/quote'] No i am not combining the 2segments. Actually this is what is available in used car market. A month or some months old Sx4 and City are available at around 6-7lac which make them a good buy. One of my friend bought 2month old Sx4 in new condition(top-end ZXi with leather option) at around 6.25lac and that was a sweet deal although he is not satisfied with the Sx4 as a sedan but then thats a different thing.

Ya if you are considering the new car and old one then new is obviously a better choice even if its segment down, but there are many people who never consider new cars and are fond of used cars so for them these are the options they consider in 6-9lacs. They are such a people who will not think to go for new Sx4 instead of used Civic/Corolla, but will shortlist Sx4, City, Civic, etc all used. I hope you got my point. They never compare the new with used ones.

Even i chose Spark LT over used Optra LS which was available at around 5lac and was just 3-5months old with 6k on odometer, but was slightly dented on front quarter.bluesapphire2009-12-10 04:24:29

@BS: I completely understand where you're coming from...just 2 sides of a coin!

By the way' date=' read you're buying a new car...what's coming home Jetta or Cruze??[/quote'] Well i like them both but its probably the Jetta. Reasons are the VW brand(India image), German Quality both inside out, Ride, Comfort and we like its looks. Just waiting for some good deals.

But i just love the features and sheer power of Cruze.