Lust for Merc

Ridiculous move by Mercedes

Mercedes has acted in a rather weird way by launching the new E with only the 3.5L V6 engine. The previous model's maximum sales constituted of the E 280 CDi. So why not bring in the powerful E 320 CDi and E 420 CDi? If the Indian fuel quality is a problem, then why would Audi have launched their high-comp supercharged engines?

But the car is excellent, breakthrough from soft-handling Mercs, and gonna spoil the rivals' party. Quality, finish, handling, styling-all is first rate. This continues to remain my fave.smiley4.gif

I see some confusions in this thread, let me put it clearly.

Merc this time launched new E with only the 3.5L V6 engine, a Petrol Engine. The King of Diesel however did not release its Diesel Avatar.

This has been defined here as Ridiculous Move(Only Petrol & No Diesel)

Merc India has said that they will launch the diesel at a latter stage (may be a couple of lakhs above v6) ,they want people to get accostomized to the Eclass brand.

I personlly think its a dumb move no diesel is= more 5 series sales.

See, introducing a model when everyone's taking note helps immensely. The C230 Avantgarde went on sale almost unnoticed and many people dont even know now that it's available in India.

I just hope the same doesn't happen with the E-class diesels. I wish it brings the larger E420 CDi to get some exclusivity in the diesel luxury crowd.

@creativebala: If high sulphur diesel were the problem, then BMW wouldn't have brought their highly strained straight 6 diesels.

Lust for Merc2009-09-27 15:08:35