Rajeevraj

What exactly are alloy wheels

Hi Folks,

I have a basic question. I hear a lot about alloy wheels and can recognise alloy wheels when i see them. But question is why exactly are they called alloy wheels? Are they just for appearance or do they help in drivability?

How much will alloy wheel set for zen cost (the old one) ?

Hoey I just came from sai service at lower parel he is offering 17k for AURA alloys (12'') for old zen .Alloy wheels are made of different metals and are mixed to give good strenght.

Hi Rajeev,

I m not an expert at this... but hve some basic info on these...An alloy wheel is nothing but a metal (alloy is a metal)... the basic difference wid an alloy and a rim (which i think u hve on a zen) are that since alloy is lighter metal, it brings much more comfort in ur ride and some say it returns higher fuel efficiency.. (but Fuel efficiency i can't comment since it depends on the person's driving habits)...

There are a lot of alloy wheels in town.. the basic one (on ur zen's 12 inch wheel) alloy wheel could cost you anywhere between 11000 to 13000 Bucks!! and go upto a Lac

The normal wheels on a factory fitted car are mostly steel wheels.  They are adequate for the car and steel is relatively cheaper.  Alloy wheels are made of metal alloys, mostly alloys of magnesium.  They offer the same strength but are lighter.  This reduces the unsprung mass to an extent, and thereby marginally improving the performance and efficiency.  Alloys are particularly important in larger vehicles like SUVs where there is a marked difference in the weight of the regular steel wheels and alloys.  And moreover they look good too, which is a great bonus. 

The important thing to remember in changing over to alloys is that they should be bought from a reputed manufacturer.   There are a lot of cheaper options, but a wheel is definitely a critical component of the car and there should be no compromise made on that.   Bad alloy wheels can do more harm than good to a car.  People also upsize their wheels, but there is a limit to what size of wheel can fit in a car.   Fitting the wrong wheel can dramatically affect the handling of a car and cause serious safety issues.

Jitz
Jithesh2007-11-11 13:04:59

hi rugs, i would like to point out the fact that, 'alloy' actually is a mix of several metals.

normally, we use aluminum alloys, for car wheels. aluminum alloy means, the main component is aluminium.

aluminum alloys, as you have said have good strength, but low weight.smiley10.gif

alloy wheels have a number of advantages over steel wheel, the main advantage being 'the looks'... smiley1.gif   

carispassion2007-11-11 13:58:49

steel wheel rims are ductile and get deformed upon being subjected to stress and strain. But alloys are very tough, light  on weight and can withstand stress and strain better. But alloys are brittle and simply crack or break, after a great impact. And yeah as Jitesh put these are light in weight and so the unsprung mass (the wheel) gets lighter and should theoretically make it more comfortable for occupants, better to handle and also to consume a little less fuel. However there is almost no difference in fuel consumption figures. 

hi rugs' date=' i would like to point out the fact that, 'alloy' actually is a mix of several metals.

normally, we use aluminum alloys, for car wheels. aluminum alloy means, the main component is aluminium.

aluminum alloys, as you have said have good strength, but low weight.smiley10.gif

alloy wheels have a number of advantages over steel wheel, the main advantage being 'the looks'... smiley1.gif   

[/quote']

the main advantage being the looks and the lesser weight too.... the steel drums are a lot heavier than the alloys.... 

only advantage with the steel drums over the alloys is that they are cheaper and u wudn't feel that bad if something happnd to the drum but if something happns to the alloys, it feels so bad......

i dont know wether the chromed one is good but i dont like it , i like the oridnary alloys

The Bets alloy for Zen would be from the AURA and it will cost 12-15 k rs for basic ones.(set of 4 or 5 )

The only Problem with Chrome Plated alloys is that, these days you cannot get good quality plating as a result the plating starts developing Cracks & Scales after some time, also they have to be kept squeeky clean for that brilliant shine, which is next to impossible in indian driving conditions.

Alloy is a mixture of certain metals, in which the composition of metal is varied according to the use the metal has to be put to. Alloy wheels are lighter than normal steel wheels and are far more stronger which allows it to be formed into various designs.

One other point. Alloys conduct heat better so do their (small) bit in keeping the brakes and wheels cooler. I think there was quite a bit of discussion in alloy and tyre configuration also.