creativebala

VW Polo, the real big thing

Test driven Polo 1.2 petrol today & In very Short,

dsc00574o.jpg

-Looks-wise:

Class leading Aerodynamic looks with Short & almost Horizontal Front Windscreen.

Paint, Body fit & finish is excellent & haven't seen before except on its parent VWs & other German Mercs, etc.

-Interiors:

Fine with Soft-look & good quality plastics with no Non-sense features & quality bits.

As per Sales executive, its seats were designed with assistance from Orthopaedicians to provide real & proper comfort to the Passengers.

However, Best thing of it is the Instument Console Illumination- Felt really Soothing to my Eyes there.

In the Safety concious VW car, missing was the very basic Safety feature in it was the Seat belt Reminder light/buzzer Chime even in top of the line Highline variant.

Test Drive experience:

Smooth & Silent 3-cylinder engine with giving Vibes only at Simple flick of the Accelerator Pedal at Stand-still only.

While during whole of the driving run the engine felt very Smooth, Silent & Vibe-free across at almost all Revs & in a Non-Jittery manner, quite unlike the other 3-cyl Engines.

Overall Driveabilty was also Good with Smooth Power Transitions with Adequate acceleration, but not better than 1.5lakhs cheaper than it Ford Figo 1.2 Titanium petrol which I've driven very before it, as the latter was having Good Engine note, Acceleration, better NVH levels, etc.

Overall the Polo felt like a Good package, with all that what's needed, nothing else.

But to the Middle class buyer missing was the Free Services, as it comes with only Once a Year/after every 15000kms Service & all that are the Paid Ones @4.5-5k Rs each.

VW recommends Fully Synthetic Castrol Oils & Brake Fluids.

Best things about VW seen today are,

-Paint finish especially of its Candy White Shade.

-Finger-touch release for its Boot-lid.

-Very systematic & tooooo-long Product demonstration by VW Sales Executive.

Last but not the least, About which I'm doubtful is the Actual Ownership costs, including Wear & Tear expenses like Clutch-Plates, Brake-pads replacements, Real-time FE, etc.

Till then Fingers Crossed.... smiley12.gif
dr_nishu2010-05-04 20:07:13

I saw this VW Polo ad in today's The Hindu.  Instead of highlighting Polo's plus points, it makes fun of cattle-dominated Indian roads, which is in bad taste, in my opinion.

20105513322_500.jpg

Finally, VW Polo TDi(Diesel) arrived in showrooms.

It's powered with 1.2l, 75bhp, 3-cylinder Common-Rail diesel engine & is priced as;

-Trendline(base)- 5.54 lacs,

-Comfortline- 6.04 lacs,

-Highline(Top)- 6.85 lacs.

I have't TD-en it, but In reality it's More Silent than its Petrol version & is also Equal/Slightly more Quieter than MS Swift too, with almost same Performance, as told by VW Sales executive in a Phone Call today. 

Actually it has got some big waiting period. Once the production gets full fledged and VW adds some more dealers, its sales will pick up.

Of late, I've been reading lots of good reviews about Polo.

Seems Skoda's image in India is also getting reflected in VW's nos.

polo looks striking in the red colour.the car is expensive in highline variant  with some features missing , maybe VW will add some missing features when they refresh the polo after 1 or 2years similar to maruti swift zxi which got steering mounted audio controls and integrated stereo after 3 years of launch.

IMO ,the biggest challenge for VW is to have inexpensive ownership experience of polo without compromising  on quality.

regarding waiting period of polo , VW should address it immediately as  interest in polo will decline if their is long waiting period.

you're rite Mr.Spock,

Polo has Service Schedule of Once a year or Service after every 15k kms with Rs.4k charges for petrol variants, but not sure of the Diesels though.

With their Excellent German Engg & High Quality materials used, Seems that its Ownership charges will not Exceed that much to make it go Downwards.

I trust VW, afterall its Das auto(=People's car).

Polo has a waiting period! smiley29.gifsmiley3.gif

VW India is working heavily to Overcome that Issue & have Succeded in doing that too, proof being -Few days back they've Rolled out 10,000th Polo from their Chakan plant Polo-Fabia Assembly line, while Till to date VW have Registered 9000-10000 bookings for their Polo in India.

Polo 1.6 petrol will come Near about a month after the Vento's launch(Autumn 2010) here.

Its 1.6l petrol engine is same as that of the Jetta petrol with new Redesigned DOHC head & 16 valves(=Polo 1.2l, 3-cylinder engine with 1 more cylinder included it to make 1.6l, 106PS) to meet BS-IV norms, as the earlier one was having SOHC Head with 8-Valve layout.

To all Polo 1.6l seekers,

Be prepared to lose on its FE at the sake of 106 horses(106PS) under its hood, as IMO its FE would be Max of upto 12-14kmpl only.

12-14kmpl from a 1.6L 106 bhp engine is very optimistic, I don't think it will even give 10kmpl in the city. Not that,  its a bad thing as its expected of a powerful car

EDIT: The Polo is not  a big success and you don't see to many on the roads and the waiting period is due to its prodcution constraints. The Figo seems to be a big success in comparison, they are everywhere.

5u3zEr02010-06-21 08:32:06

I have to agree that the above mentioned figure of 12-14 for a 1.6L is a little too optimistic. It will in the hands of a rather conservative driver, maybe reach 12-13 max. For a normal driver I dont think the figures will be any better than 10-11.

I am still waiting for its launch and if its as fun to drive as I imagine it to be, i'm going for it.smiley8.gif

@5u3zEr0 & asethi,

12-14 figures are not for City driving only it can supposed to be the Mixed Overall FE figure & with considering Polo's Weight, Aerodynamics & 106PS powered Engine, that doesn't seems to be the distant dream for Polo 1.6,