creativebala

VW Polo, the real big thing

It is surprising, infact shocking to see a German car company with such a poor response.On 1 hand Germans are known for their discipline,quality,capability to handle large,complex engineering projects and who till a couple of months back were the largest exporters in the world; on the other hand VW who is vying to be the world's largest car company by  2014-15 cannot properly handle and deliver cars in such small quantities. So many unhappy customers is certainly not good for VW in such a competitive market as India. I feel this  problem is limited to only VW and its subsidiaries as 1 has not heard about serious complaints against Merc, BMW or Audi. 

@abhema:

It is true to what you have commented on the German standards of perfection in mechanicals which also includes automobiles. Their automobile engineering is in fact still considered to be a benchmark.

But the VW story is a bit different from the rest.

The new fleet of VW cars happen to be the cheapest in their stable which is why it attracts mass selling. Unlike the earlier cars like Jetta and Passat, the demand has suddenly increased many folds which the company may not have anticipated due to which they maintained the manufacturing in only a single ramp and have started a second one only recently. Had this been done earlier, we would have seen many more Polos which surely would have given a cut throat competition. It is only the delay which I feel is the culprit for customer dissatisfaction. As far as the other German brands go, none of them are less than 4 times the cost of a highline Polo. So the market is also for the selected few unlike the Polo and Vento.

I agree that VW was caught unawares on the manufacturing front and there evolved a sudden surge for their cars which they are not being able to cope up with.

Having said so, I also strongly feel that there is a major mis-management and mis-communication or rather communication gap either between the company and the dealers or between the dealers and the buyers because many cars get delivered in much shorter time as compared to many others which take an age to be delivered.

The company is not the one to be blamed alone in this matter. I guess the channel which follows needs go through a transformation and be transparent.

@abhema & abhpom4u;

Don't blame VW at present now, they're currently in very much Infant stage now in India, considering their Newly Inaugrated Chakan manufacturing facility for Polos & Vento, as previously they were with CKD's only & that's too which constitutes just Handful of Market here(few hundreds).

Their Issues with Vendors, Labourers, Supply Chain Management & Dealers are taking their Toll now, for their Production numbers, which is currently Just Half of What they've targetted & their Plant's capacity which is Max of 1,10,000 units/year with Current Assembly line setup.

Firstly for their Quality Standards, they've Shortlisted their vendors with very much difficulty & next one was Not Properly knowledgable &Untrained factory Local Workers/Staff here & to Overcome this they've tied up with many Leading Institutions in All Zones, as they've collabrated with Rayat-Bahra Group, Chandigarh in Northern region.

And I appreciate their Tortoise-Walk Attitude & their very Serious commitment towards Indian Market(which only Maruti & Hyundais are having now) as this is just the Beginning now, afterall that why they're called Volkswagen(Folks-wagen=People's car). Das Auto. 

I'm sure they'll be having a more Happy Times ahead in India.

@abhpom4u: Don't Worry, your wait for your Dearest Polo will bear much Sweeter fruits.

For earliest delivery, Just keep on Reminding your Dealer from Time to time about your Booking, say Twice in a Week as they used to Skip the deliveries of the far-away or Customers from another Cities. & Its not just the VW only, even Honda, Toyota & Maruti Suzuki dealers also do so for similarly Booked vehicles.

dr_nishu2010-12-09 18:59:54

Pathetic response by VW Showroom at Surat..

I had been to the showroom at Surat on Friday the 10th. This was my 1st visit to the showroom.

On reaching there, I saw 5 Vento, 3 Polo, 2 Jetta and 1 Beetle. All ready for delivery complete with the ribbons. There was a group of 4 people checking out one of the Jettas (maybe checking out before taking it away) and couple of other people who had come to inquire about Vento. But there were very few sales staff visible around although it was past 11:30 and this amazed me.

On asking about my delivery status at the reception, the lady asked me to have a seat while she gets the details checked out. I go to a desk and sit on the customer's chair.

Nearly 30min pass by but no reply. Rather a sales girl walks up to me and asks what was I looking for and if she could help me. I tell her about to have my delivery status checked and she said that she'll be back within 10 min with the updates.

Another 30min pass by. A glass of Soft drink was offered. This time a guy comes to the desk and takes the chair on the dealer's side and asks me how could he help me. I tell him the same thing and he tells a sales girl to get my updates who replies that some other person is already trying to fetch the details.

Another 15min pass by. I walk up to one of the sales girls who I had spoken to earlier and asked her whether I was going to get the details directly from them or should I require to contact some other authority for the same. She soon went in the back office and asked me to sit. She did not turn up for another 15 min.

I was well past 1PM and I was kind of going crazy at their behaviour towards and existing customer. In the meanwhile, I could see a familiar guy who I had met on their road show in our town and this very guy had accompanied me for the test drive. He immediately recongnised me and I tell him what I was here for. He asks me to wait for 5 more minutes and goes to the back office like all the others, but this time he returns with the details unlike others.

Now the Good News..

The sales guy informed me that there is a lot of cars on the transit from Pune and is expected to reach their yard within the next 6-8 days. My car is amongst those.

Taking a tolerance period I asked whether I will be able to get my car by Christmas, the answer was affirmative.

But by saying so, he also messed up the matter by saying that the loan amount of 3.85lac which I claimed to have been paid in the last week of October, was not reflecting in their bank account statement. He said if there was any error, he would clarify the details and revert me by monday evening.

I immediately called up the loan guy and told him about the situation and had him speak with the VW sales guy. After the conversation, the loan guy told me to wait for few more minutes while he fetches out the details of the cheque paid to the showroom.

I leave the showroom and walk around the nearby area as I had visited the area for the 1st time.

Sometime later I speak to the loan guy again and he gives me the complete payment details about the bank name, account number, amount and the payment date. I call the VW sales guy and also sms him the details.

Few minutes later when I was checking out some stuff at the Croma outlet nearby, I got a call from the showroom stating that my car is in transit and is expected to reach the showroom in the next 5 days.

This was all after a whole day's ordeal.

This strongly makes me think that if I hadn't been to the showroom, they surely wouldn't have uttered a word about my delivery for another month or so.

Now I would change my statement I had earlier made in this forum by saying that VW manufactures cars in the most possible eagerness and tries its level best to have those delivered at the dealerships ASAP. But the dealers have this tendency to keep lagging the delivery and give the cars to others who either pay more "ON" or who get on their nerves by following up too frequently.

I guess it is too early to comment anything about the after sales service at this point of time since these cars are hardly few months old and most of those which are plying on roads are yet to go through a lot of time to complete the 1st service period which is 15000km.

Only time will tell. But being a new entrant in the most commendable market position fighting for its spot, hopes are truly very high about the After Sales Service.

@Abhpom, congrats, yes they say that it will take 6-8 days but trust me, if the lot is really in transit then you will get the call from VW in less than 2days or atleast by wednesday. As Pune is just 7hours & not more. I too was told 6-8 days but got my Vento just in 2days.If you have been to showroom earlier, i am sure you would have got your car much earlier. Also, yes they have tendency to let the customer wait, even i have been to showroom earlier, everytime it takes too much time for them to respond to even small issues, many deliveries everyday are major reason.

@bluesapphire

Truely said that had I been to the showroom earlier, I would've already been driving the German beauty by now. Even I got the same feeling when I visited them.

Well, the guy who I was in contact with and was taking follow ups was not seen at the showroom. He had told me about the postponement of my consignment till late Jan or Feb 2011 giving the reason that VW is not sending in any petrol Polos these days.

Whatever ups and downs in the communications has happened, lets keep those aside and hope for the positive reply from them in this week.

Waiting for my 1st car with my fingers crossed smiley1.gif

Only time will tell. But being a new entrant in the most commendable market position fighting for its spot' date=' hopes are truly very high about the After Sales Service.[/quote']

@abhpom4u: I hope your ownership experience is better than the sales experience. 

Exactly..

VW India is very much focussed towards Brand & Network building here' date=' as 1st they've launched Quality & highly India specified Products here & made their Line-up wide(with 7 cars) like that of Hyundai & somewhat Maruti Suzuki's & now they're Expanding their Dealership Network too -As their Network in Punjab, Haryana, Delhi is Equal or better than Toyota, Honda & their Recent Dealership is in Jammu City(J&K), where No other Premium brand is available till to date.

Hope Same scenario will be happening in Other states too.

Previously i saw all the polo's with apolo but now i see JK tyres, is it a cost cutting major by VW. Is there a difference of quality in JK and Apolo?

Hardly Matters..

Both are like brothers to each other in Quality & Reliability matters.

However, MRF, Brigestones & Michelins are the class Apart than these.

Thats "Indianisation" of VW for your info. One way of saying 'this' level of quality and service is 'enough' for Indians. Actually with the strong Euro it's difficult for any European auto co to provide the quality seen in European cars for Indian rupees. Perception is what draws people to buy a premium hatch only to be deceived by the product once it's delivered; hope VW doesn't go the Skoda way.

Maruti and Hyundai is like your wife dependable and reliable, VW and Skoda is like the 'paramour' who demands lot but doesn't deliver the 'goods'.

Previously i saw all the polo's with apolo but now i see JK tyres' date=' is it a cost cutting major by VW. Is there a difference of quality in JK and Apolo?[/quote']

I have heard about some issue with the Apollo employees which has made the car manufacturer to switch over to JK. But when I had been to the showroom on friday, there were about 10 cars ready for delivery all with Apollo Aceleres. Don't know whether they've switched back to Apollo or what.

@abhpom4u: I hope your ownership experience is better than the sales experience.?

Even I hope for the same. If the dealership comes to my city next year(they have been heard of starting one soon), I guess I may not have to face any issues those which the service station can take care of.

Maruti and Hyundai is like your wife dependable and reliable' date=' VW and Skoda is like the 'paramour' who demands lot but doesn't deliver the 'goods'.
[/quote']

Except Maruti Suzuki no another branded car justifies the 1st line from above completely, as I've also seen many Hyundais(Accent P/D, Santro & Worst being the Accent ViVA 1.6l DOHC) usually demanding Heavy Maintenance after 3-4 years from their Purchase.

One the Contrary, Seen alot of Imported VWs still in Good Condition & plying on the Roads in India, many amongst them being the Old-Gen Beetles, which are even more than 3-4 Decades Old.

But not same is the Story for Skoda, Opel or others brands though.
dr_nishu2010-12-13 18:21:37

BREAKING NEWS:

I have just received a sms from volkswagen dealer that prices of much in demand polo may go up to 18000 as announced by the company. book before 31st december for price protection. However it is not clear that whether those( i.e. me) who have already booked in october 2010 and delivery due in January 2011 will get the price protection or not. need to confirm from my dealer.

@Ashikawa -- The price that you pay for the car is always the one that prevails at the time of delivery. So they want to say - pay the full amount before 31st Dec. And go and talk with the dealer. He'll clear out.

Just now found this on internet @ http://burnyourfuel.com/2010/12/16/volkswagen/volkswagen-polo-price-up-by-2-9/

Volkswagen Polo Price Up By 2.9%

DECEMBER 16, 2010 8:16 PM

Volkswagen have announced an increase in the price of its Polo with effect from January 1, 2011. The hatchback will see a dearer price hike at 2.9 %, read a recent press release. Lucky customers who book the Polo before December 31, 2010 can avail the present cost.

Neeraj Garg, Member of Board & Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India, said

Maruti and Hyundai is like your wife dependable and reliable, VW and Skoda is like the 'paramour' who demands lot but doesn't deliver the 'goods'. This may be true about their cars below 5 lakhs.Every high end car has it's share of complications.If Maruti and Hyundai are so good how come their high end cars are not selling well.Maruti is vfm but Hyundai's are overpriced and as unreliable as any other cars.

@Ashikawa -- The price that you pay for the car is always the one that prevails at the time of delivery. So they want to say - pay the full amount before 31st Dec. And go and talk with the dealer. He'll clear out.

Had a talk with the sales guy, who accompanied me at the time of booking, according to him, those already booked will be given the car at the same price.

I would like to know few things related to car care to be taken care of while taking the delivery. Like 3M car polish for prevention from scratch and paint removal.

I have read about the 3M products in many threads but am not sure how is the coating going to prevent the scratch to happen.

Also, while booking I had inquired about the coating stuff to the sales guy. He said that there were two types of coating. One of those was a thick transparent coat which peeled off like rubber if it was forced. But would protect the paint from scratches as the scratches would happen only on the coat and the paint will be preserved.

I am unable to understand this stuff and how it works and all that.

Can the users and experts please help me in this matter..??

Except Maruti Suzuki no another branded car justifies the 1st line from above completely' date=' as I've also seen many Hyundais(Accent P/D, Santro & Worst being the Accent ViVA 1.6l DOHC) usually demanding Heavy Maintenance after 3-4 years from their Purchase.[/quote']

Beg to disagree. I had an Accent for almost 8 years and have a Santro AT for 5+. Apart from one incident where I had problems with the rear suspension of the Accent they have both been blemish less, no unexpected repair bills.  I have needed more care on my M800, Zens and Esteem. Marutis' tend to rattle like anything after about four years.

Stay away from those coatings that will result in whitening of the plastics.I have experienced this on my bike due to Teflon coating,On team bhp a guy have experienced the same on his Polo.Just use normal polish no coatings other than underbody coatings.or if u still want it make sure they don't do it on plastic parts even on metal parts they start peelings in couple of months but the entire thing won't go some patches remain.This things happen either because they don't use real Teflon or Teflon is not suited to our climate

Stay away from those coatings that will result in whitening of the plastics.

I am also of the same view, the automakers paint the cars keeping in view the climatic conditions of a particular region, paint quality in VW cars is exceptional. We don't need any body coat except cleaning it at regular intervals and parking it in shadow or with cover.