creativebala

VW Polo, the real big thing

You need not care about it' date=' you got it from the dealer and the convenience is that any trouble will be looked after by the dealer itself. Finally peace of mind and convenience is what matters. [/quote']

Actually this has become more convenient for me now as there is no Bajaj Allianz General Insurance office in my near vicinity whereas ICICI Lombard has an office in my town. Moreover, I have quiet a few friends working with ICICI Lombard which will make my job easier whenever I require to.

@abhpom4u

What features are available in POLO TL display console, such as fuel indicator etc. Is Multi function display is not provided ?

Whether icici one provides 0% depreciation and 100 cover for plastic part such as bumper.ashikawa2011-01-03 14:53:43

The display console on the TL variant is very basic.

Analog:

1.Speedometer

2.Odometer

Digital:

1.Clock

2.Temperature

3.Dual Trip Meter(One of which can be reset to Zero, whereas the other one shows the total distance covered)

4.Number of days(in descending order beginning from 365days) pending for servicing.

5.Approximate distance(in descending order beginning from 15000km) to go before servicing.

That's it.

The Multi-functional display is provided only with the HL variant. TL and CL variants are not such feature rich.

As far as insurance policy goes, VW has done a tie-up with the insurance company due to which 0% depreciation can be enjoyed(at nearly 60% additional premium though). Normally with ICICI Lombard, motor insurance with 0% depreciation is available in open market only for premium cars worth 15lac and above ex-showroom.

Filthy VW Dealership Management

As I have mentioned earlier, I have somehow got a minor damage on the front bumper due to which I had to leave it at the Service Station(on 29th Dec, Wednesday) at Surat in order to replace it. I was told that it would take them 6-7 days at the most to make my car fit n fine. If possible, things could be completed even before that.

The fiber damages claim require some documentation which are:

1.Copy of Insurance Document/Cover-note

2.My Driving Licence for verification by Claim Manager

The Insurance Cover-note was lying at the Dealership and was never handed over to me. On inquiring, they said that the Insurance Cover-note was required for the Registration, hence they have retained it and that I'll get the Original Insurance Document within a week's time(which I did).

The Insurance Cover-note would be collected from the Dealership and the procedure would be carried forward.

And about the Driving Licence, I was told about the requirement when I went to the Service Station, but later on, nobody asked for it and even i did not remember. Later, when I remembered about the Driving Licence matter in the evening, I thought it might have been just for a formality which may have been taken care of without looking into the document. So I did not pay any heed to it.

On Saturday, 1st Jan(4th day after I left my car), I called up at the Service Station to inquire the progress, I was told that the documents have not reached them yet.

I called up at the Dealership and inquired about the documentation matter only to be told that it is an Accounts Department matter and that I should talk to the Accounts Personnel who was not present in the office and had been to some banks. I tried to call up the Accounts guy who never received my calls and even the dealership people had no idea when he would return.

Later that day, I called up the Sales Consultant who I had dealt with, and told him about the situation (He was the person who I first contacted with after the damage and he said that he'll see that the documents reach the Service Station by the time I drive my car till there). He said that he had informed the Accounts guy about the docs on that very day and was expecting him to have sent those to the Service Station, but would have to check once again after he returns from the bank.

In the evening I speak to the Sales Consultant once again. This time he said that the docs were still with the Accounts Section and he has told the person to send the docs immediately. He also told me that my Driving Licence would be required for the claiming procedures.

Now, I was confused as to what was happening.

Firstly, the documents have not reached the Service Station from the Dealership even after 4days of leaving my car with them. And secondly, they are asking me to give them my Driving Licence which they'll return alongwith my car when the procedure is over.

How am I supposed to go about on my bike without a Driver's Licence till then..??

Now that it was already late Saturday evening, nothing was possible to happen and there was no point in going about in anything. Better to wait till Monday morning.

On Monday morning, 3rd Jan(6th Day), I found out a way out to get my Driving Licence Verification done. I got my Driving Licence verified from the Claim Manager at out local ICICI Lombard Office and he scanned it and sent the image to the Service Manager at VW Surat and also sent a copy to the Claim Manager at Surat and spoke to him as well. This relieved me a lot.

I then spoke to the Service Manager and told him about the proceedings at my end, to which he told me not to worry and assured me that the repairing procedures will not take much time now since the documentations are completed.

He told me that it'll take him at most a day to replace the bumper, before which the Claim Manager should visit the Service Station and do his formalities. It is only for the Claiming procedures that so much time is consumed.

I was relieved that finally things have started moving and I'll get my car back at the most by Thursday.

Today(7th day) I called up the Service Manager to inquire whether things have begun or not (People need to be pushed for work to be done, even though they have been appointed for the same work). Now, I called him thinking that I'll push him to make things fast and this guy says that he hasn't yet received anything from the Dealership yet.

I called up the dealership and asked the lady to transfer the phone line to the Accounts guy. She kept me on hold and after few seconds I could hear Fax Tone. I tried doing this twice, but in vain. I called up the Sales Consultant who told me that the Accountant has gone for an outdoor job and that he had very well informed the Accountant about my matter. Moreover, the accounts guy also would not receive my calls.

I was like 'what the hell is going on with me, that too in the beginning of a New Year'..??

In frustration I drafted a mail to the VW Customer Care asking an explanation for this irresponsibility.

The Service Manager, for sure had nothing to do without the Insurance Copy and the Verified Copy of my Driving Licence. So there was no point in blaming him at any point. So I called him up and asked him for some solution. He said that he'll have the Insurance Copy got from the Dealership by someone who visits there (the Dealership and the Service Station are nearly 16km apart).

My Driving Licence Copy was sent and now the pending thing was only the copy of the Insurance Document. I thought for a while, 'why not I send the scanned copy of the Insurance Document'..?? I asked the Service Manager and he said that it'll be a better option as the Dealership guys are notorious about handling matters.

Have just mailed the Scanned copy of the the Insurance Document and got a receiving confirmation. He would now go ahead with the documentation and have the claim procedures done tomorrow. My car should be ready by Friday.abhpom4u2011-01-04 11:04:32

Filthy VW Dealership Management

I am fully agree with you on this point.

1.Whenever I called dealership about delivery status, i was redirected to the sales person who attended my booking and doesn't have the manners to even pick up the calls or reply to sms.

2.At 4 times i called vw customer care, and never received a call back. Even they were unable to inform me about warranty and other policy issues.

3.I sent few mails about other issues to vw and the dealer and never received a reply. even no courtsey call/ reply mail.

Now i am worried a bit about the future course of my dealing with vw and dealer. If after waiting for monts , spending this much amount on car and insurance if one need to run from this quarter to that, whats premium about it.

Will think about it again and will also consider other options if feel necessary. 

@ashikawa

It is quite understandable for what you are going through.

Sometime it is becoming necessary to bring small / big issue of dealers to the company officials immediately and than only they will work properly. Afterall you are buying a VW.

Have you visited the dealers ? What they are saying for not responding to your various communications ?

Keep records of all your written (sms records, letters etc...) and verbal communication (Name of sales person, phone number, time when you call etc..)  and you can prepare a strong case against the dealer and can report to the company.

Very common issue in cities with only 1 service centers. A single service center means monopoly and the task not being prioritized. There were instances of that even with Honda dealer here, however ever since new ones have opened up, the response has been much better. Do bring this to the notice of VW.

There are many VW cars plying on our roads, all of which are at least 2 segments above the Polo. I doubt whether the Sales people are not happy with the introduction of a smaller segment and they find it ridiculously absurd to attend the queries related to the smaller segment..!!

When I had booked my car, I met and dealt with Mr.A. He tells me that I could call him anytime I require to and he'll oblige me. He indeed did so till the time he ran out of his commitment of delivering my car on a very short period of time.

Then he himself gave me Mr.B's number and asked me to contact him for all the further talks as he belongs to my town and is handling the cases in and around this area. I had met Mr.B too at the time of booking. I stayed in contact with him for the next 2 months, untill one fine day when he informed me that my car will only be delivered after 2 more months. This happened in the month when I was expecting the delivery of my car.

I went to the showroom to check out what was going on. There I could not see Mr.B. And as for Mr.A, I presumed that he might have quit at the time when he handed over my case to Mr.B.

Looking for a known face, I found Mr.C who I met thrice before then. 1st time when VW had organised a road-show in our town, 2nd at the time of booking and 3rd when he had come over to me to take some pending signatures on the booking form.

Mr.C assured me that my car would be delivered before 25th December, which was finally a correct commitment.

When I had been to the Dealership to take the delivery, I happened to see both Mr.A and Mr.B in the conference room alongwith Mr.C and other Sales Staff having a Morning Sales Meet.

After the Sales Meet got over, Mr.A, who I had assumed to have resigned, came up to me and greeted me well.

Mr.B came up to me and spoke few nice words pretending to know me, but was actually trying to recognize me(which he fortunately did).

Mr.C recognized me and bid me 'Hi' from the Sales Meet itself.

Finally the car was handed over to me by Mr.A who was long long off from contacts with me.

I did not pose any questions to anyone regarding anything as I was in no mood to spoil the fun of taking the delivery of my first car.

The sales part in Surat is pretty messed up. I have no idea about how well the things are in the rest of the dealerships.

Got a reply of my e-mail to the VW Customer Care:

Date: 01/04/2011

Concern No: CAL4337

Veh Regn No: Na     

Name of Customer: Mr/Ms. Mr. Abhishek Deb

Dealer Name: Navjivan Auto Square Pvt. Ltd. Dealer Location: Surat

Kind Attn

@Abh....

Very funny to read your experience.....it seems...VW have poppets as their sales team....lol. i find it in many places..with many car dealers....they r just keyed robots...and out of the program...u will not get anything.

this scene has to change....very drastically...and a sales person who is assigned for a new enquiry should take the responsibility to complete the total sale...i mean delivering the car to the satisfaction of customer and then only....the sale should be recognised..

and it happens with VW ....i dont know the company bet on its reputation....some thing really surprises me..

however..congrats on your new VW....hope you will only meet the workshop mr.X always...in future....lol..

Got a reply of my e-mail to the VW Customer Care:

This is a system generated mail. I received same mail with complaint reference no.(Date: 11/09/2010 Concern No: VWG2973 )

, when i sent a query earlier, but never received a follow up call or information.VW does not respond directly and leave us on the mercy of dealer, it seems.

My delivery in expected in 3rd week of january( in writing) and 1st or 2nd week(as per verbal commitment) when i sent to sms to sales guy yesterday, he did not responded. when i made a call today i.e. 04/01/2011 , after 3-4 rings he disconnected the call.

So i am little worried what will be A.S.S. Also thinking of looking for another car options.ashikawa2011-01-04 16:17:13

hope you will only meet the workshop mr.X always...in future....lol..

Ha ha ha...

Yes, the person Mr.X who I am in direct contact with is the Service Manager. So I am in a peace of mind that this Mr.X is not going to change in anytime soon unless he is shifted to some other Service Station or he resigns from his job. Yes there is a chance of temporary substitute in his absence at times, like when I went to drop my car at the Workshop, I met Mr.Y who had given me the road direction the earlier day.

So, all in all, by the time of the 1st service which is scheduled at 15000km or 1year which ever is earlier, I expect to come in contact with almost all the Sales and Service staff and eventually know each one of them like a family. Then they would all cry when I take my car away from the Workshop after the 1st Service is over.

How am I supposed to face such crying faces smiley19.gif

@ashikawa:

Yes, it is evident that the e-mail is a system generated one.

As far as the sales guy not receiving your call is concerned, don't worry about it. Just try to catch him up by calling on the Landline No. of the Dealership. He will talk to you in that way. I have myself had to do this thing at times.

The other way is to trace out the contact info of the Sales In-charge through the VW website and contact him directly telling him the situation.

Try doing these two things. I feel that calling up at the reception will sort out the matter. Only thing is, talk aggressively.

By the way, how far is the Dealership from your residence and how far apart are the Dealership and Service Station..??

3.The 1.6 engine feels very vocal and lacks low - midrange performance.the Swift K series is far better in this respect.I suspect that VW have skimped on sound deadening and the cast iron head  is what contributing for lack of low to midrange performance.One has to literally extract performance from this motor.

AFAIK' date=' Germans don't make Silent Engines(both Petrols & Diesels), Infact they don't love Silent Engines. Neither Audis, Mercs, BMW nor else are having Silky smooth engines in their Stable yet.

BMW cars are having their characterstic Engine Note, which is almost similar for both Petrols & Diesels.

Similarly VW & Audi cars are also having Sporty yet l'll bit Vocal & Growling Engine notes'. 

So, don't expect K-Series or i-VTEC like Silence from German engines, Infact check their Refinement from Idle Engine Note or during In-Gear transitions.

Infact, VW India have made its Unstable 3-cylinder, 1.2l Petrol engine from Polo, sounding Racy at particular Revs(beyond 3k Rpm) & are Marketing it with that.

IMO, VW's 1.6 engine is very much Refined as per above context & It comes with Aluminium Alloy Head & Alloy block only. Infact None of the car Engine in India(except to that of Mahindra DI engines) comes with Cast Iron Head. Its the thing of Past now.

After Driving Polo for several kms, I noticed its Insulation is also of Good Order(not that bad as per you've quoted), especially in its 1.6 variant. but only Under Bonnet Insulation is Missing in the 1.2 Petrol Polo & No other Honda, Toyota, Suzuki or Ford, etc Provide them in their Petrol cars.  

Lets say the Dilemma is whether to shell out few more for Honda City or go for 1.6 Polo?

VW Polo 1.6(Top-end Highline variant) ~Rs.6.4 lacs.

Honda City 1.5 E-MT(base variant) -Rs.8.15 lacs.(Ex-Showroom Delhi)

So, there's difference of around Rs.1.75 lacs, plus you'll get all the Goodies in Polo 1.6 like Alloys, Height Adjustable Driver Seat, MID, Rear Deffoger, Wash-Wipe, Quality ICE, Body coloured Door handles, ORVMs & many more

whereas after spending nearly 2 lakhs more on ANHC E-MT you'll get Barebasic car with Black door handles, ORVMs, Steel Wheels, No ICE, etc.

So, Overall Costs might go around 2.5 lacs(to the cost of base Alto) more for kitted up City.

dr_nishu2011-01-04 19:01:58

@ashikawa:

By the way, how far is the Dealership from your residence and how far apart are the Dealership and Service Station..??

I contacted the dealer today after several call , I was able to talk to a person who informed me that delivery will be done in January itself and next week he will inform me about engine/chasis no. of the car. Another the insurace here is bharti axa and it has all features like 0% depriciation, roadside assistance, medical help etc. Bajaj alliance is only for jetta, beetal etc. I am positive now and looking ahead for a smooth delivery. Dealership is quite far from my place around 20-25kms and workshop might be 10-15. the distance between workshop and dealership should also be atleast 15kms. You know in mumbai including suburbs only two dealers. others are in thane and navi mumbai.

Another the insurace here is bharti axa and it has all features like 0% depriciation' date=' roadside assistance, medical help etc. Bajaj alliance is only for jetta, beetal etc. I am positive now and looking ahead for a smooth delivery.[/quote']

I would advise you to opt for the 0% depreciation Motor Insurance as no one knows what may become and we all know that components of a German Car are pretty expensive as compared to any Japanese/Korean counterpart.

Dealership is quite far from my place around 20-25kms and workshop might be 10-15. the distance between workshop and dealership should also be atleast 15kms. You know in mumbai including suburbs only two dealers. others are in thane and navi mumbai.

Well, my dealership is 125km away from my place and the service station is almost the same distance too.

So, your dealership and service station being in your city itself, it is more convenient for you to approach them in person whenever need be. Please see that you show up at the dealership at least once in this week itself. This will make the delivery process faster.

I have purchased a car for the first time in my life and we have never owned any car earlier (apart from my father owning a Used Premier Padmini 1100cc for 3-4 years way back towards the end of 1980s). But through this purchase, I have learnt quite a lot of things which most car owners may already know.

The most important thing which you must be careful about is the registration process. Your documents should be forwarded for the RTO formalities to be done at the most within 2 working days after the delivery and the registration should be completed at the most 4 days after the delivery. In many cases, the delivery takes place after the registration is done. That is the best way.

The reason I am saying this is because my documents have not yet been forwarded for registration and the payment not yet done at the RTO due to which my Insurance Claim is lagging.

P.S. - Do visit the Dealership in this week itself and make sure to meet the Sales Manager on that meet. Your visit will make the delivery process faster and you being acquainted with the Sales Manager will smoothen the procedures.

P.S. - Do visit the Dealership in this week itself and make sure to meet the Sales Manager on that meet. Your visit will make the delivery process faster and you being acquainted with the Sales Manager will smoothen the procedures.

Sure, this is good advise, i am agree with your point of view.

Filthy Volkswagen Dealership (Part-2)

Today afternoon I called up the Service Manager to take a follow-up on the advancement of the Insurance Claim procedures which he had said would be done by today.

He told me an entirely new thing today. The charges for RTO and my documents had not been submitted at the RTO Office due to which the RC Book was not with the Dealership and without the RC Book, Insurance Claim procedure could not be done. He said that, it is only after the documentation gets cleared from the Dealership that he could go further with all the required procedures. He also told me that he had visited the Dealership yesterday and had instructed for the formalities to be completed as soon as possible.

He further told me talk to the Sales In-charge at the Dealership for the same.

I called the Sales Manager tell him the situation. He said that he was not aware of the ongoing activities and will personally take care of the matter and have the RTO work done tomorrow itself so that my Claim Procedures can be done the day after.

This RTO procedure is the reason due to which I am not being able to claim a standby vehicle which was committed for delay for more than 2days at the Workshop.

When I had been to leave my car at the Service Station, I was given a maximum time of 6-7 days. Today is the 8th day and they are not able to touch the car as the documents are pending negligibly by the dealership.

I wonder how could a dealer of such a reputed brand which has sold more expensive cars to wealthier customers be such irresponsible..!!

A German Product being sold through such hands don't at all go along..abhpom4u2011-01-05 15:46:03

Filthy Volkswagen Dealership (Part-2) German Product being sold through such hands don't at all go along..
I don't understand how vw is ok with these kind of dealers who are irresponsible. I think they are not happy with this hatch segment launch and not ready for it.

Do report it to the VW, they should know how horrible their services are. How long VW is going to survive with this kind of attitude.ashikawa2011-01-05 15:50:02

I do not have any idea how other dealers behave with other clients. But the type of treatment I am getting is expected by none.

My mistake is that, I did not check things out and take follow-up thinking the right person would be doing the right thing in the right way and that I should not poke anyone unnecessarily.

But things are the other way round.

I doubt whether the Germans would stop selling their cars through Indian Dealers if they happen to come across my incidence.

If anyone has had any such pity incidence, please post it in this forum so that someone notices it and such filthy attitude can be stopped.

I don't understand how vw is ok with these kind of dealers who are irresponsible. I think they are not happy with this hatch segment launch and not ready for it.

Do report it to the VW' date=' they should know how horrible their services are. How long VW is going to survive with this kind of attitude.[/quote']

How is VW supposed to know what is going on behind the scene after the car has been sold..??

A manufacturer's major concern is to sell their product. The Authorized Service Station only boosts up their sales. So on both the front, everything seems to be going well. After the Sale takes place, the problem lies between the Customer and the Dealership. The manufacturer will neither get any updates nor will it take any reports of the After Sales Activity.

I have read in team-bhp that people have received calls from the VW Customer Care at Mumbai to take customer feedback. I am waiting for such a call.

I have read in team-bhp that people have received calls from the VW Customer Care at Mumbai to take customer feedback. I am waiting for such a call.

do report this mismanagement to them. Also send a letter to their corporate office informing these things.

***EDIT***Now i feel this is the reason why people stay away from companies other than maruti/hundei. This kind of trouble people might be facing with maruti/hundei also but i think normally not reported on web forums.

Go through the uvmallaya and chetanbg's thread in team bhp, the whole story is so scary. If somebody reads this he/she will never go for a polo.ashikawa2011-01-05 16:19:53

do report this mismanagement to them. Also send a letter to their corporate office informing these things.

Yes I will do it' date=' but I'll wait till tomorrow just to check out whether they do the RTO work.

Now i feel this is the reason why people stay away from companies other than maruti/hundei. This kind of trouble people might be facing with maruti/hundei also but i think normally not reported on web forums.

Not exactly. I do not think other VW Dealers or any Dealer delay the RTO matter to such and extent. Delays are accepted, but with certain tolerance.

Moreover, Service Station being in your town is a big plus point. The lack of the Service Station in my town has let this problem extend so much, as they very well know that it is not so feasible for me to just visit them now and then.

Go through the uvmallaya and chetanbg's thread in team bhp, the whole story is so scary. If somebody reads this he/she will never go for a polo.

I have gone extensively through all the threads related to VW Polo in Team-bhp. I have been following these threads very closely even before I had booked my car.

UVMALLAYA's case is something like mine. Even his town Mangalore did not have a Dealership when he had made the purchase and had to get the car from Bangalore. It took 2months for him to get his car back from the Service Station. And the problem was a silly one of the Check Light coming up over and over again in a new diesel engined untampered Polo.

Indians have a peculiar tendency of neglecting things as long as there is no one to push them. My case has been the same. Same with UVMALLYA as well.

dear  abhpom4u , my heart felt support for u for all that messed up things going around U smiley19.gif,u are running to pillar to post to get ur own car back , ur gonna meet lots of Mr X and Mr Y  !!! now i really feel i was Heavenly blessed smiley32.gifthat i was smart enough to understand the things this VW people are gonna create and at the right time I CANCELLED my booking for the polo .... after all this things even i went through  and reading so many complaints and threads ........ wake up guys who have not taken the delivery yet ....... CANCELL UR POLO BOOKINGS ...... before its too late !!!! smiley36.gif

@dr_nishu - first of all , regarding this 1.6 engine having cast iron bock with alloy head is based on information written by a person owning Polo 1.6 in another Indian Car  Forum which due to obvious reasons I don't want to quote as it may be against forum rules.Not many of Polo owners Know that that the intial batch of cars had Electro- Hydraulic power steering not EPS

secondly on the issue of Engine Noise its way too noisy even for a German car and that too in gear transitions and the note is not racy but more like a Diesel Tractor and it is not 1.2 but 1.6.I have seen many German cars in Delhi - they are pretty silent comparable  to Japanese

I know the difference between silky smooth and racy tone frankly this engine doesn't have it ,Maybe another test drive will rest the issue

lastly on the issue of whether to go for Polo 1.6 or Honda City-

You have not brought into equation ASS , Honda Brand , and other finer points.Just jumping into conclusion based on certain features doesn't sound reasonable

Regards

Siddharth Iyengar