creativebala

VW Polo, the real big thing

Volkswagen reveals Polo Cup 2011 Car

2BjMtl.jpg

Though the track Polo looks pretty much similar to its production variant, there are a lot of changes in terms of performance, power and build. The production models of the Polo in India are available in the petrol as well as the diesel versions. The Diesel versions are used for the racing purpose. Firstly, the diesel variants available for consumers are powered by 1.2 litre engines ad compared to the race Polo roaring with a 1.6litre (same engine as in the Vento). A six-speed manual transmission with 128hp and 250Nm of torque form the crux of the Polo Cup car. read more....here

Source: zigwheels

New Drivers for Volkswagen Polo Cup announced

C6XSpl.jpg

Sailesh Bolisetti, Parth Ghorpade and Vishnu Prasad were among the front runners in the Polo Cup 2010 season. As a new season is set to start next month, Volkswagen announces the lucky 20 drivers who will see the grid soon.

With the drivers selected, the cars already tuned, people are all geared

Volkswagen Polo R WRC Program Likely to Spawn Production Variant

TLXOql.jpg

In early May, Volkswagen announced it would be using its Polo small hatchback as an entrant into the World Rally Championship (WRC).

This was on the heels of an earlier announcement by MINI that it would entering the competition. VW is no stranger to rallying and competition; the company fields its Touraeg SUV for the Dakar Rally.

There have been a lot of rumors surrounding VW

Heard about a 1.5 TDI for VW Polo. Don't know the source of the information. Got this news from a FB friend. Trying to get to the source. If any fellow ACI member have any information about this, please share.

Heard about a 1.5 TDI for VW Polo.

I thought the next would be the Vento engine 1.6 TDI to balance the equation with the petrol counterpart with 1.6 in the HL variant. And I guess getting in 1.6 TDI would be much more cost effective as the engine is already in use rather than get an all new 1.5 TDI to do the job.

Good one. smiley1.gif

All these plans hints towards the extensive research of Indian market done for its products for their long term stay plans here.

Heard about a 1.5 TDI for VW Polo. Don't know the source of the information. Got this news from a FB friend. Trying to get to the source. If any fellow ACI member have any information about this' date=' please share.[/quote']

Yes its a true news. I've also heard the same.

The probable reasons for this being;

-Underperforming Diesel engine with more NVH & average performance.

-Stiff competition from its rivals featuring powerful engines.

-Based on their feedback studies which states that its seekers are unwilling to spend 7-lacs+ rupees for a 3-cylinder car.

-further aggravated by recent Flat spot in its sales.

And I guess getting in 1.6 TDI would be much more cost effective as the engine is already in use rather than get an all new 1.5 TDI to do the job.

Might not be.

with Prime reason being the Excise duty benefits, as it is 10% for the cars with Diesel engines below 1500cc or Petrol engines below 1200cc & measuring 4metres or less. Beyond these limits its 22%.

So that's why they're planning for a 1.5l TDi engine here(IMO 1.4 TDi would also have been an good option), which is supposed to be a downsized 1.6l TDi unit from Vento,

As even globally Volkswagen isn't having any engine of capacity other than 1.2 & 1.6l for this platform.

Expect this 1.5l engine to power its top & mid variants here. dr_nishu2011-05-28 12:00:08

Might not be.

with Prime reason being the Excise duty benefits' date=' which is 10% for the Diesel engines below 1500cc & Petrol engines below 1200cc for cars below 4-metres long, beyond these limits its 22%.

So they're planning for a 1.5l TDi engine(IMO 1.4 TDi would also have been an good option), which is supposed to be a downsized 1.6l TDi unit from Vento as even globally Volkswagen isn't having any engine of capacity other than 1.2 & 1.6l.

Expect this 1.5l engine for its top & mid variants here.

[/quote']

That's very truly said keeping the Excise Duty in mind. But then what is going to happen with the 1.6L Petrol motor..?? Or what is happening with it now..??

1.2L is the margin for Petrol Engines and 1.5L is for the Diesel Engines to be slotted in the small car category. The 1.6L Petrol is already way beyond the barrier. If that can do well without much price appreciation than 1.2L HL, then why can't 1.6L TDI expected to be faired well..??

You get 1.6L, 4-pot, 105bhp TDI Motor to play with. So I don't understand the reason to bring in an all new smaller capacity engine. Somehow the logic seems out of the box to me.

The 1.6L Petrol is already way beyond the barrier. If that can do well without much price appreciation than 1.2L HL' date=' then why can't 1.6L TDI expected to be faired well..??

You get 1.6L, 4-pot, 105bhp TDI Motor to play with. So I don't understand the reason to bring in an all new smaller capacity engine. Somehow the logic seems out of the box to me.[/quote']

The difference between Polo 1.2 HL & 1.6 HL is of 40k only & the latter being priced at 6.4 lacs only which is very much acceptable for a hatchback while employing the same case with Polo diesel pushes the Polo 1.6 TDi to 7.6 lacs & the real question is that who'll pay such a huge amount for a hatchback & even the Executive sedan range starts at that price point.

Expect 1.5 TDi to generate 90-95PS of Power with decent FE figures translating into a True performance hatch beginning at 6-lacs price point.

Truly a true headache material for i20 CRDi & upcoming new Swift.dr_nishu2011-05-28 12:16:58

@dr_nishu , abhpom4u : Further to my earlier post, my fb friend informed me that 1.5 TDI Polo news was published in Autocar India June Issue. Due to customers feedback that the engine is sluggish and noisy VW is considering 1.5 ltr 4 cyl diesel engine for Polo and future Fabia. This downsizing is also considering the tax benefits.

So dr_nishu may like to wait for it.

This report by Motorbeam also speculated the same. But they are saying the engine launched will be the same as the 1.6L in Vento.

?

I have seen that article it says ''The Polo undergoing tests was very fast, which makes us believe that Volkswagen might be testing the 1.6 liter diesel (from the Vento) in the Polo.''

But the RPM meter of the car says the different story and is red-lined over 6000 RPM and marked to 8000 RPM. The diesel Polo cars have a 5000 RPM redline and 6000 RPM marking. which makes it quite clear that its a petrol 1.6 with added features.ashikawa2011-05-29 10:41:40

So dr_nishu may like to wait for it.

Nothing better than this.

Instead it'll be just like a Dream come true for me.

i.e: A Gorgeous looking Polo with performance rich 4-cylinder engine mated to a World war resisting Solid Bodyshell. 

But sadly it won't be coming by this year as feasibility studies suggest.
dr_nishu2011-05-29 20:00:22

A polo with a 1.6 diesel engine is really going to be a gem.Just think Light and solid chassis of Polo+1.6L powerful and torquey diesel engine=Blasting performer....

AREN'T THERE ANY CHANCES OF VW GETTING REAR WHEEL DRIVEN POLO TO INDIA,OR GOLF...OR A POLO WITH 1.8 TSi..I am eagerly waiting for these beauties?

VW is offering 3 year maintenance plan for free with  Polo. VW owners any info on this ?
The 3 year AMC costs 19900/- and 4 year AMC costs 34072/-. There is no free maintainace plan  being offered. Can you share where you got this info?

***EDIT*** I just saw this ad.2tW6t.png
ashikawa2011-06-24 11:49:04

yup its this one. What does AMC cover ??
I am feeling cheated . Just bought 4 year AMC for 34072/-. Need to enquire whether it is available for all trims or highline only.***EDIT***Offer is valid for booking on or after June 1st,2011 to July 21st 2011and for deliveries happening before July 31st 2011. Available on all 1.2 petrol trims i.e. Trendline/Comfortline/Highline. Seems like an effort to push sales during Monsoons.tHKoE.jpgashikawa2011-06-24 12:02:37

Hi Ashikawa, I got my polo delivered on 1st of June. When I asked about this free amc offer, they told its applicable only from 15th June. After seeing your post I enquired VW customer care. After a fortnight they transferred my query to my dear dealer who misguided me at first. Now they say this offer is valid for cars sold from 1st June. But since my invoice is dated 26th May and  registration done on the same day, I cannot be benefitted from this. This is what they say. My warranty card clearly says the date of sale as 1st June. So what does the actual condition say ? Is it the invoice date or the delivery date ? Please let me know.

Hi Ashikawa' date=' I got my polo delivered on 1st of June. When I asked about this free amc offer, they told its applicable only from 15th June. After seeing your post I enquired VW customer care. After a fortnight they transferred my query to my dear dealer who misguided me at first. Now they say this offer is valid for cars sold from 1st June. But since my invoice is dated 26th May and ?registration done on the same day, I cannot be benefitted from this. This is what they say. My warranty card clearly says the date of sale as 1st June. So what does the actual condition say ? Is it the invoice date or the delivery date ? Please let me know.[/quote'] Showing the delivery date on warranty card is a mistake. During buying AMC they clarified to me that the date of invoice is the date valid for all reasons.

Congratulations. Please share your detailed ownership report with a lot of pictures in readers test team section

@Mods: Can you please resize image posted in my post dated 24/06/2011 at 04:42 PM. Being bigger it is spoiling the layout of the thread.ashikawa2011-07-19 15:48:18

yes. it should be eligible. Ask your dealer about this. I dont understand why these dealers are trying their best to avoid this amc, as if they are paying out of their pocket!

@ashikawa, why do they say its the invoice date. My point of view is the delivery date as that is the start of the odometer kms. and service shedule of 365 days. Also what if the invoice is prepared well in advance? as the registration can happen only with invoice, but still the car may not be ready to be delivered. Just posting my views.......

yes. it should be eligible. Ask your dealer about this. I dont understand why these dealers are trying their best to avoid this amc' date=' as if they are paying out of their pocket!

@ashikawa, why do they say its the invoice date. My point of view is the delivery date as that is the start of the odometer kms. and service shedule of 365 days. Also what if the invoice is prepared well in advance? as the registration can happen only with invoice, but still the car may not be ready to be delivered. Just posting my views.......
[/quote'] Technically you pay the price first and then they issue you invoice. Once it is invoiced in your name , you become the owner of the car. Normally we get the car registered through dealer, but note its a service hired by us and has nothing to do with the date of sale of the car. Frankly speaking after invoicing the car is kept with the dealer on your risk. This is why you should get it insured at the date of invoicing itself.

Still you can press your dealer for free AMC saying that the car is delivered to me on so and so date. It will depend on your negotiation skills wether you get it or not.

There is enough confusion on this part also. One of mumbai dealer told me that this offer is available between June 1 to July 21 booked cars and those who are getting delivery before July 31 will also get this. Whereas the other dealer says that this offer is valid only for booking between July 1 to 31. Better you contact other dealers as well in your city and get the correct info.

@asethi:

There is not Free AMC for Polo 1.6, its a offer extended to Polo 1.2 Petrol only. In addition there is even no Paid AMC for Polo 1.6 and Polo TDI.
ashikawa2011-07-20 07:33:07

Yes. That is correct. These dealers tell different things each and every time. That is why I contacted VW cust care. But nobody in cust care even know about this offer !!! One guy even asked me what the full form of AMC is. Such is their pathetic cust care. When I insisted I need first hand information from VW, they were helpless. Even writing to German customer care doesnt seem to help.

Another update is my 2DIN HU which I bought from the dealer stopped working. After four days of harassing and dragging the issue, they finally pointed to take my car to a audio service center, where it will be serviced under warranty. There they found a PCB was completely destroyed due to some short circuit and replaced the whole HU under warranty.