vijayan_venkat

Safari or Linea

Hi Guys,

Currently I own a Tata Indigo and looking for a upgrade. The following are my considerations ..
1. Should be able to move 4 adults and 2 kids.
2. Given the road conditions of bangalore, Car should be happy with bad roads.
3. The monthly usage is pretty low.  About 800Km.
4. Budget is under 10L.

Cars I considered ...

Tata Safari

+ Big and Handsome guy

+ Saisfies my Ego smiley17.gif

- Diesel Aspect. Worried about low usage and maintinence aspects.

Linea

- Cannot move 4 + 2.

- Yet to test drive it.

Innova

- Its probably got into taxi segment. Hate the looks of it.

+ Yet to test drive it. Still can consider it.

Do i have a better choice ? Sugestions please.

You have said all Venkat, Happily go for Safari

The truck is so wide that you can seat 2 kids and 2 Adults in middle row itself, so you will end u having space for 2 more kids or light built adult in third row jump seats.

Safari really doesn't need any roads, we can make our own with it

Safari drives like sh*t. No matter how pretty it looks, after one year of owning it you will see how horribly wrong TATA went with the cars drivability.

Innova may be in the taxi segment but the top of the range models certainly provide more than enough luxury. It has Toyota's reliability riding behind it and the product quality is ahead by leaps and bounds.

I say, Innova!

See, I am not alone.

I used to ba big Safari fan till the time I drove it. Horribly cheap plastics inside. Handles like a bullock cart and the engine refinement, I think TATA has given up on that completely. They have decided not to bother with it at all.

Don't bother about the diesel issue.

Petrol engined cars are also get spoiled if u dont touch them for the week,repeatedly.

But its easy to overcome that ! If you are not using your car from last 2-3 days, just keep it started for 5-8 minutes only. Usually,Toyotas' are quite reliable & are built to last.

The Talibani's use only toyota vehicles too for this factor.

Else,you can also choose its petrol version. Ask the dealer for its availability.

I used to ba big Safari fan till the time I drove it.

You drove 2.2 or Older Version.

Tata improves at each and every iteration. Its 2.2 is a refined work horse,

One can fell for its looks and off- roading ability itself. Not to forget its Comfort, I don't see a point in consider buying something which I hate.

@FRG, your comments on Safari needed

Always listen to heart first,

Hope this picture speaks volume about Safari's ability.(source- TBHP)

X%20081.jpg
creativebala2009-09-29 12:02:20

Guys,

Please be fair in comparison. We can always compare a safari to Land Cruiser and tell safari is bad.

The new version of safari is the VVT engine. I had test drove that. In terms of power and refinement ... i find it way ahead of other Tata cars. Note that iam a user of a tata car, I can surely speak well about Tata quality.

@FRG, throw some lights to Venkat

Venkat sir, when you have good experience with tata products, you can go for Safari happily. I am strongly for Safari, its small niggling problems will be eaten up by its pluses. It Bold and Brawny looks has no comparison.

When you travel in a Safari, you travel in a car that most CMs and other big shots use, whereas when you travel in an Innova (I don't want to hurt any one)

Any day a van is a no compare to an SUV (let what ever the refinement, comfort, .... bla, bla, bla    be)
creativebala2009-09-29 12:29:57

@CB

LOL!! Dude we bought the car for 13.75L and the safari at that time(top model) was costing around 11-12 L so I think its a fair comparison. Even autocar compared the two cars head-on in one of its 2007 editions.

@Venkat

Safari may be butch and brawney and will certainly satisfy your eyes but you will regret your decision when it comes to the interiors, ride quality, build quality etc.

Innova may not be the most impressive looking machine but it serves the purpose of being a comfortable, luxurious(top end) and spacious people mover.

What i really meant by "speak well about Tata quality" was to indicate that I know what products Tata make. They have a very predctiable quality standard (most of the time its not upto mark smiley2.gif).

All tata cars have some or the other niggling problems. They are mostly issues that we can live with.

Also keep in mind that Tata always gives cars ... that are value for money. Most people may not like it ... but Tata has compromised quality for cost.

hello friend, TATA SAFARI is not a bad car. as per your capacity & ego satisfaction... u hav a wide range like.. MAHINDRA XYLO., INNOVA (u mention) , BOLERO, SCORPIO.. plz dnt mind if u ask about driving & comfort INNOVA is best .  coming to safari.. yes it satisfies ego, but tata's hav to upgrade their version..it's ownership cost is very high sometimes dissatisfies on number of aspects.  my close friend sold out his safari 4*4 just after 13 months of purchase @ a loss of 2lacs on MRP. reason.. low FE, low Comfort level, & high ownership cost.

scorpio & bolero are in same category.  Xylo is sm what better than safari & mahindra's own rivals.

when u got non taxi registration number in white plate rather than yellow, no one assume its like a taxi...

i personaly prefer INNOVA.  its a very comfortable car... i m investing in my bank account in hope to purchase innova very soon...

rest decision is urs , money is urs.. invest it in long term benifit vision rather than just ego centric vision...

be happy be progressive

Xylo or Innova are the vehicle's that will suit you best. What you require is an MUV not an SUV or sedan. Your comments of the Innova are not acceptable. You have to experience the comfort provided by this superb MUV from Toyota, all other sedans fade pale compared to this. Go experience it first hand. No other Indian vehicle can transport 6 persons in comfort as the Innova/Xylo.

The best car for you out of the lot is the Innova. It is practical, has acres of space, top-notch reliability. The downsides are the van-like looks, apart from that there is nothing wrong with it.

The Linea is good, but will not be able to provide enough space for your family.

The Tata Safari is a different league. It looks brilliant, but is not as well built as the others here. The 2.2 litre engine is refined and performs quite well too, but it is no saloon. On top of that, if you haven't driven SUVs before, then it will be a handful to drive. You'll absolutely hate the turning circle, so U-turns on narrow roads will be a nightmare.

The good bits are that it is supremely comfortable, more so on bad roads. You will love the commanding driving position. You get a lot of car for the price you pay. Quality is inconsistent and isn't as good as the others in the market. Small niggling problems are quite common.

Owning a Safari is like owning a Royal Enfield. It has its flaws but for some people those things are a small price to pay. But then I may be biased. smiley2.gif

Somebody said that a diesel has to be driven regularly. Well my three year old Safari is sometimes parked for weeks together and yet starts with the first crank.

Practically speaking, the Innova makes the best sense.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-09-29 21:59:20

Innova for toyota engineering reliability and comfort.

Tata safari for village roads and tata engineering unreliability. I would recommend the more reliable scorpio over the safari

Linea great value for money sedan and mileage for metal roads but will not move as many people or luggage as an Innova.

Well Innova is used as taxi is one thing but higher versions like GX and VX are used by rich here in Delhi. You can see them ferrying rich school children out side any big school of Delhi and also used for long drives by rich people here, I think people her in Delhi do not mind much if lower end model is used as taxi. why this is used as taxi ? because its very reliable.

I my self was wanted to by Innova VX but then my family is small and came Linea, which saved me around 4.5 lakh Ruppes.

You can go for Innova GX and it will serve your purpose.

PS: I had Qualis earlier and my wife used love driving it than any car.cartoos2009-09-30 08:15:21