creativebala

Spotted Toyota Picnic - next Toyota Indian MUV?

Well i dont think its gonna come anytime soon. Seems like its somebody's personal like i can see some Honda Odyssey's and some toyota MPv's too in my city but then they all are personal and imported.

But yes it looks good but looks like there is no 3rd row present.

May be i am wrong and Toyota are testing for something else like VW was testing passat estate but they are not launching it here anyway.

I still feel this will be much costlier and not under 11-12lac bracket. And due to low height doesnt seems practical enough so basically India have only few takers for these kinda vehicle as nobody will invest this much money on a MPV/MUV.

It is actually a very old model  launched in 2001 in other markets and only minor facelifts were done on this model till date. Usually Toyota changes their models every 4 years. It has not happened to Picnic/Avensis/Avensis Verso. So it is high time for its mercy killing. I feel Toyota is planning to play the dirty game again  that they did by launching the phased out Qualis in India. The condemned model with stripped down features specially for India at a price below 8Lakhs with a 2.0L D4-D engine can sell in good numbers in India. It can compete with Xylo and Indicruze. This is the same thing what Ford is trying to do with their India specific model Figo which is the stripped down version of the phased out Fiesta.

@ Winner 48

I think Toyota is going to phase out this model in the markets where they currently sell it. Then they will replant its manufacturing facilities in India as they brought the Qualis from Indonesia/ Thailand. This will be highly cost effective to stretch the life cycle of a dying product.

First of all this is not a private vehicle. The colour of the no. board proves that. Also since the Toyota badge looks covered up to me but no disguise other than that, and the low GC makes me think Toyota is testing this car but for some other market.

@rahul1810: the red no plate is a temporary number...for eg, when you apply for a special number and have to wait, one can get this number and use the vehicle till you get your permanent number. It has got nothing to do with testing vehicles.

Probably Toyota is developing something specifically for the Taxi market as Innova has somewhat done an Indica in the taxi market (i.e. not many private buyers!)

that is the reason ....... why customers admire toyota..... lovely & lively products by toyota......... hope to see this soon in Indian Market.

as per pics u posted my friend... i think it's minimum price on Indian roads will be 10 to 12 Lacs......... 2010 will be a superb year for Indian Car Industry, in terms of competition & price war both......... fingers crossed

@rahul1810: the red no plate is a temporary number...for eg' date=' when you apply for a special number and have to wait, one can get this number and use the vehicle till you get your permanent number. It has got nothing to do with testing vehicles.

Probably Toyota is developing something specifically for the Taxi market as Innova has somewhat done an Indica in the taxi market (i.e. not many private buyers!)

[/quote'] Exactly, even the new Audi sold in Gujarat have red TC number plates so it has nothing to do with testing vehicles.

But may be toyota is testing this vehicle but if its too old then they should try something new but as this is India they are treating us as Dumping zone and gives us all old products due to greedness and lack of rules and regulations.

motoroids_verso1.jpg

The Verso is the upgraded Picnic

The Innova is a Rear Wheel Driven (RWD) car based on a pick-up truck platform while the Picnic is based on a Front Wheel Drive (FWD) sedan platform. It is also much shorter in height compared to the Innova, with a lower centre of gravity. Hence it inherits the Driving dynamics and refinement of a sedan and is known to be a much nicer car to drive. However it won

@CreativeBala, the first picture shown here is actually not the one spotted in Bangalore. It is Verso which is based on the Corolla platform. The one spotted in Bangalore is known as Avensis Verso which is a class above the Corolla Platform. In Europe the Avensis models are costlier than the Corollas and selling more than Corollas. Toyota has launched a new model of the (Corolla )Verso in 2008 alongwith the current model of Corolla what we call Altis in India. They have also introduced a new model for the Avensis sedan in 2008 but  not for the MPV version, ie, the Avensis Verso or Picnic(In Europe Picnic was discontinued in 2001 and replaced by Avensis Verso). The Avensis Verso was first introduced in 2001 and they have not changed the model till date except for some minor cosmetic changes. Now Avensis Verso has been phased out there.

Please check the link below to make sure that Avensis Verso is not being sold by Toyota in UK and Ireland

I can tell this with so much confidence since I was there in Europe till March 2009 and I have driven all the different models mentioned here. The third raw of seats are used only for seating kids with child restraint systems since they are too cramped for adults.

So I strongly believe that Toyota is trying to bring the phased out model to India as they done with the Qualis.

I am unable to see both the pics posted in the very first post of Bala.

When I Right-Click on the image and try to open in New Tab (IE 8), Team-BHP Site gets opened and gives me following Error--

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Hi,

This is the second generation Toyota Picnic presently selling in Singapore. Its also called Toyota Ipsum, Toyota Sportsvan or Avensis Verso. It has a four-cylinder in-line twin-cam 16-valve 2.0 or 2.4-litre gasoline engine or a 2.0-litre 116hp (87kW) D4-D turbodiesel engine, with a four-speed automatic transmission. There are two generations of this model, with the second generation first released in 2001.The car lasted from 1997 till now.The first generation was from 1997 to 2001[4 years].The second generation was from 2001 till now[8 years]. Its the real seven seater MPV having more wheel base (2825mm) than the Toyota Innova. This MPV offers class-leading handling when cornering, braking, and accelerating. Modern aerodynamics and refined suspension keep it firmly on the road, even in strong side-winds.

The features includes:

Seats 7 adults

Climate control

Power windows

Power steering

6 speaker MP3 compatible CD player

Cruise control

Power mirrors

Central locking & keyless entry

Driver & front passenger SRS airbags

Front seat side curtain and front seat side impact airbags

ABS with BA (Brake Assist) & EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution)

Roof rails

16" alloy wheels

Toyota Picnic may not come to India any soon. Its seen in India as a benchmark to "new mini people mover" from Toyota

The upcoming vehicle will not affect Innova sales, it might look at a five- or six-seater with a sub 2.0-litre diesel engine for its people mover.

found this , might be interesting

Company considering an MPV/MUV in the Rs 6-8 lakh price bracket

Toyota Kirloskar Motors Limited (TKML) is looking to make further inroads into the Indian market as it puts its strategy into overdrive. With the launch of the Prius and its small car in 2010, it is looking to add another volume product to its portfolio,

On the sidelines of the Tokyo Motor Show, senior executives of the parent company confirmed they would be bringing in a second people mover, after the Innova, into India.

The company is looking to position it between its new small car and the Innova, which should fit in to the Rs 6 lakh to Rs 8 lakh price bracket.

Toyota claims it is developing an all-new model, which should go on sale in the next two years. Since the company wants to play safe with the vehicle and not affect Innova sales, it might look at a five- or six-seater with a sub 2.0-litre diesel engine for its people mover.