creativebala

Hatch based 7 seater- Why don't we have in India?

India is one of the biggest hatch market in the world.

In the coming days, we are going to see dozens of new hatches from various makers in roads.

Instead of attaching a boot to the hatch, why can't they make it a 7 seater

India is a very good  market for cheap yet reliable 7 seater.

The cheapest 7 seater in our country is Sumo Grande (I don't consider an Omni a car), even thats costly.

mini-clubman-by-ac-s_460x0w.jpg

A swift, elongated and made a 7 seater like this

or

GrandScenic.jpg

These if made in India should start at 5L and FE

The 5 lakh price tag is doubtful.

They might start at 6.5 lakhs.

For that price' date=' one gets a decent full sized MUV/SUV

[/quote']

a Ritz/ swift starts near 4L. I added 1L for these estate.

Just like our Marina

At 6.5, which MUV/SUV seats 7 people comfy. I think its none.

In addition, hatch based 7 seater will be highly FE

BTW' date=' whats wrong with the OMNI??

Its a decent car.
[/quote']

Omni- high CG/ less weight/ leaf coil rear suspension/ no ps/ no CRUMPLE ZONE, non aerodynamic, unstable at 60-70kmph

The most unsafe vehicle in Indian Road

Omni can be awarded as the most unsafe passenger vehicle on four wheels in the world. It will get a  r_396.jpg r_396.jpg r_396.jpg r_396.jpg r_396.jpg rating in any safety tests instead of star rating.

Edit: Sorry mods I tried to reduce the size of the pictures but it came big when I posted. Could you please reduce its size. 
jimgeo2009-10-19 07:53:02

Omni does not deserve this much hate.....

Infact, any vehicle good (or) bad, first depends on the driving habits and skill....

If you are really a expert driver, you can drive any vehicle safely.......

Its only rogue / careless / arrogant / drunk driver's who spoil the art of driving disturbing others life as well.... so dont just blame the vehicle design alone.....

lets clear our mistakes first before pointing finger on others.....

SORRY ABOUT MY LANGUAGE.........

The GM group has a 7 seater based on the Astra platform called Zafira in UK. It is car-like to drive and smaller than the Innova. It will probably do well if introduced in India as a private vehicle. The Innova has become more of a Taxi vehicle

The GM group has a 7 seater based on the Astra platform called Zafira in UK. It is car-like to drive and smaller than the Innova. It will probably do well if introduced in India as a private vehicle. The Innova has become more of a Taxi vehicle

This is the exact segment I am talking about Opel Zafira/Renault Scenic. These acts as a car in all aspects' date=' but can seat 7. Should do wonders in Indian Market.

Its only rogue / careless / arrogant / drunk driver's who spoil the art of driving disturbing others life as well....

This is not the case always.

Some times even good drivers tends to make small accidents. These small accidents causes small scratches if  MrX travel in Fiat/ Skoda or takes MrX life or handicap him if travelled in Omni.

Ok if I agree to what you say,

let the other person be a rogue / careless / arrogant / drunk driver. Am I not suppose to safe guard myself. If I want to be safe, I should avoid Omni
creativebala2009-10-19 18:37:00

Many international brands have very good looking 7 seater MPVs

Toyota: Avanza

Nissan: Livina, Qashqai

Opel/Vauxhall: Zafira

Mitsubishi: Colt Plus

These models are having engines ranging from 1 litre to 2.0 litres. If they are priced reasonably below 7 lakhs they will outsell some of the sedans. There is a thread already here with the pictures of some good loking MPVs.
jimgeo2009-10-20 02:51:08

I have driven my Maruti Omni E, with my family (6 adults) on highways around 90 - 100 Kmph. I doesn't feel any problem in highway with Omni at high speeds and braking may not be effective as in disc variant, but applying brakes with gear reduction will do better. Recently, I went Hyderabad from Chennai, 670Kms within 11 hours ( includes fuel refilling,breakfast and lunch break). The FE was 18.9 Kmpl and for return trip the FE 17.7 Kmpl.( the reduction in FE at the cost of 100Kgs of rice bags). Omni is the best fuel efficient MUV in India.

I doesn't feel any problem in highway with Omni at high speeds

Last week, when my uncle was travelling in ECR, a tempo came suddenly in front of him from no where. He applied brake at around 80-90.

Guess what ?

Car turned 90 degree on ECR,  Luckily there are alive today.

Omni has never been a HIGHWAY CAR period.

Even if a dog get hit, driver might loose his legs (That unsafe)

Its light weight & height make it easily to Topple

Toyota developing sub-Innova product for India

Company considering an MPV/MUV in the Rs 6-8 lakh price bracket

The company is looking to position it between its new small car and the Innova, which should fit in to the Rs 6 lakh to Rs 8 lakh price bracket.

Toyota claims it is developing an all-new model, which should go on sale in the next two years. Since the company wants to play safe with the vehicle and not affect Innova sales, it might look at a five- or six-seater with a sub 2.0-litre diesel engine for its people mover.

I was wondering why a hatch should have 7 seats ?   In my 24 years of motoring, I found that most often these small cars are driven with less than 4 (or 5) passengers.  If there is a need to move 7 or 8, either 2 cars are used or a Sumo/Qualis/Innova type of vehicle is engaged/hired.  For that sort of occassional use, is it necessary to have a hatch with 7 (or 8) seats ?  A 7/8 seat hatch needs to have longer wheelbase, higher roof, more powerful engine and a better braking power to ensure safe carriage of 7/8 adults.  Most of these additonal features, costing a lot of money and space and effort, would end up not being used regularly.  So, why design and bring such a vehicle ?  Somehow, I am not convinced that there is a need for such a class of vehicles in India where collaborative-commuting is rare.  The office-goers do not drive 70 to 100 kms for their commuting daily, as many in western/european nations do.  They do it in shared-commuting vehicles.  

Then, coming to Omni.   I had a 8 seater Omni for over 13 years.  Never had an accident.  Never felt that it is unsafe.  Or, dangerous on highways.  As someone said earlier, it is very stable if fully loaded and driven even at 90-100.  One of the most user-friendly vehicle.  The notable drawback is the absence of an AC.  We can not talk of the latest safety gadgets and features when we talk of Omni, as it is a practical vehicle which was launched about 15 years back.  We should not forget this aspect when we talk about this most useable, and useful vehicle we ever had in India.  Right from a micro family to a big family, from a school pick up vehicle to a taxi, to an ambulance, to a pick up carriage to a cargo van to .... to ... to .... No vehicle had ever managed to do so many jobs in our diversified environment as an Omni did. 

A 7/8 seat hatch needs to have longer wheelbase' date=' higher roof, more powerful engine and a better braking power to ensure safe carriage of 7/8 adults.[/quote']

Renault Scenic's dimensions very close to Logan, so not that big

Length- 4344 mm

Width-1845 mm 

Height- 1637 mm

Wheel Base-2702 mm

Kerb Weight-1385 kg

Engine- 1.5L(our ultra frugal Logan's, can expect 20+kmpl)

why design and bring such a vehicle ? 

7 seater's Advantages over SUV' date='

1. Its dimentionally small, EASY MANEOURING

2. Drives like a car, NOT AS A BOAT(SUV)

3. Mileage approximately twice as an SUV, Scorpio 10kmpl & Logan 20KMPL

4. Easy on pocket, people mover in India starts @ 7.5L+

5. Feels like a car,

6. Good Suspension & better braking.

Disadvantages

Bad GC

Bad visibility of Road (SUVs high level vision missing)

Ask toyota, yesterday they said, they will bring one such car

in India where collaborative-commuting is rare.
Don't consider the IT young couples alone as India. A proof of this is your own car XYLO. Why did you buy a Xylo instead of an i10

On Omni
  which was launched about 15 years back. 
Omni was launched in 1985' date=' by this time, its dies would have got rusted

On Omni
  it is very stable if fully loaded and driven even at 90-100

With drums all around, when & how will it stops man, A brotherly advise, avoid these stunts

On Omni
No vehicle had ever managed to do so many jobs in our diversified environment as an Omni did.   

Hope you forgot TATA ACE

on Omni
The notable drawback is the absence of an AC 

Add light weightness, Height, No crumple zone, Leaf Coils, Today's Customer's basic needs (No PS, No PW, No CL) ... to the list

creativebala2009-10-23 19:24:56

@Bala: Renault Scenic is not in the range of 5-8 Lakh Rupees. It is above 11Lakhs in UK for the basic model. In India this kind of hatch based 7seaters will be a succes only if it is priced below 8 Lakhs for the top model. None of the current international models will never come under that price. At this moment it is much sensible if Toyota brings the phased out Avensis in a stripped down version especially to cater to the Indian price perspective. They can make use of their old dies and offer only basic features to control the price. I am quiet sure that Toyota will do like this or they will bring Avanza to India. But more possibility for the Avensis when we read together with that model spotted testing in Bangalore.