sgiitk

Service Intervals: Irrational Manufacturers

A friend has a Honda City Mk.II. He barely uses this car for more that 5000km a year. Still Honda service the car and replace the oil every three months. Is this not taking things too far?

That is where Fiat, VW & Skoda have excelled( 15k service intervals)! Linea would be easy on pocket - imagine i would have to give the car for service only once  a year max! Beat this i have used my ANHC only for 4600km- 6 months and today my car would be going for 2nd service interval ( 6month/10,000km)

. I would totally agree with you the service intervals need to be worked by other manufacturers

I think after the FIAT advt or the noise on both fora Honda have imcreased the interval on the Civic to 10,000km from 5,000km (provided full synthetic oil is used). Time interval is not known. Their bete noir Toyota Corolla Altis is 10000 or once a year. I know what I will get!! sgiitk2009-10-20 04:53:24

Those who use their vehicle least (sparingly) do not, usually, complain much at the time of giving their vehicle for servicing (either free or paid). If they can lodge their protest (thru the rating cards/surveys etc.,) they can make the manufacturers change these patterns. Once in a year is OK whether you run the car for 10,000 km or less. I am against sending the vehicle every quarter to the service centre, as they rarely do a thorough job if the vehicle is less used. It is a waste of time, effort and money with no tangible benefit for the vehicle or the owner.

@rameshbabu.n: Ages ago I had proposed that the service and oil change intervals should be prt of the ACI road tests. Got some pious assurances, but no action to date. After all it is the (advertising) money which makes the mare go!

But some dealers agree to take into consideration only the distance covered, our City used to go for service every 5000 kms even if it had exceeded 3 months(not by much though).

Toyota is better in this aspect, our Altis has covered 14,000 kms in a year and has gone for service twice, the dealer agreed to take into consideration only the distance covered.

More the frequency of the service more the cash flow from our pockets to the dealer's/company's bank account. Sometimes these services are really not required if the mileage doesn't demand and the service people wont even check all the things correctly. So it will be sheer waste of time and money. More times we visit the service centre more is the chance for manipulating the parts by the service people sometimes even with the permission of the dealers.

No one's going to force anyone to take his/her car for service. I think it will be prudent of your friend to get his car serviced once a year.To hell with what Honda's says; unless the car is pretty old/high mileage and has many service issues. Durango Dude2009-10-20 18:18:17

The last time i went to get my Honda car from service, i remember, an old man was there to get his Honda city back and his case was exactly as enumerated by Mr. sgiitk.The old man asked the service advisor: Why his car Oil has been replaced when for the past one year he has barely used his car for 2000 k.m.? .The service advisor responded: That due to prolonged non-usage of car for extended periods without check-up and service,the viscosity of the engine oil gets effected, so to prevent the possibility of anything happening to engine, we have replaced the engine oil. The old man felt content with the response, and payed the bill.

As far as one is concerned, one considers the 5000 km period as essential for service rather than 3 months.

@DD: This is the catch in the extended warranty - you are obliged to get ripped off for the entire duration. I have a feeling the greed angle is one of the reasons of the 2+2. How many drive trains go bust in the +2 period? Practically none, esp. in low mileage vehicles. The friend was silly enough to be talked into 1+2!

Also, how much are they ANTI GREEN by changing oil every 3 months irrespective.

I still say that once a year or 10,000km should be Ok, unless the engines are Junk! If need be they may service without oil change in six months.
sgiitk2009-10-21 05:05:51

+1

I always dissuade my friends from buying the extended warranty if they are purchasing a Hyundai/Maruti/Honda/Mahindra or Toyota product (The only people who may benefit from extended warranty on these cars are those whose car's run 50,000 km a year).

Other brands are a different ball game (IMO) and extended warranties for them might make more sense.

I always dissuade my friends from buying the extended warranty if they are purchasing a Hyundai/Maruti/Honda/Mahindra or Toyota product .........

This is why most of them are 2+2 by default now! Continue ripping off for as long as possible is the motto. sgiitk2009-10-21 05:48:56

One of my friend went to get his alto serviced for the first time and the advisor told him to better use Synethic oil.  By chance I called my friend and then he suddenly asked me that should I go for synethic then I firmly told him not to go for that as again after sometime you will come for second service and they will again tell you to change the Oil which is not practically worth as synethic oil requires a gap.

Just these guys fool around

@anuprav: You are correct. Uee any decent SPI-SL or SM oil. Once a year or 10000km are enough. But you must follow their requirements if you do not want your warranty to lapse.

The companies and dealers are making cash out of the ignorance of the customers. Most of the customers except those who know about cars will be frightened by the warnings of the dealers to get the car serviced every three months. In my opinion most of the international brand cars in India doesnt require an engine service in three months or 5000kms. Only thing is to get a check of the other consumables and ofcourse rattling because of our roads especially in case of Marutis. Its quiet funny that some of the service centres dont do the wheel alignment and balancing even if that one is the most frequent problem because of our roads.

There was an incident one of my local  workshop owner told me: A person went to service his Fiat PetraD at the authorized Fiat service at TVS Cochin nearly five years back. He got the car serviced the same day and drove to his house 60kms away. While driving back home he found the engine oil warning lamp glowing and stands still. He thought of just taking the car to his local workshop for a check. They were shocked to see the oil lid under the engine was missing and the oil obviously.smiley18.gif 

But there was no problem for the engine. Thanks to the great Fiat build quality.

Most of the petrol cars with fuel injection need only service once in every year or 10,000km!!! Even for my 2000 model Maruti Baleno, the service interval  is only at every 10,000 km or 1 year. Even in the user's manual, it is mentioned correctly .

My uncle is having a Hyundai Santro, which he services every 6 months. I was shocked to hear this recently! He told me that, he was not aware of this 10000km service interval.

He told me that, the Hyundai people keep on reminding him of the service at every 6months! And on an average, they are charging him around Rs:5000 for service!

I felt it to be day-time robbery!!

But seems like almost everyone is falling for the words of service adviser, and giving in their car for service every 6months or 5000km!!

carispassion2009-10-22 03:15:05

And on an average' date=' they are charging my uncle around Rs.5000 for service! I felt it to be day-time robbery!![/quote']

Its indeed a day-time robbery.

Even if Engine Oil is changed, car is washed, Cleaning the Air Filter, Spark Plugs, and some other Additional work (for that matter Wheel Alignment) does not add up to Rs.5000/-

Engine Oil +Oil Filter around Rs.1000/-.

Regular Servicing (Washing, Cleaning Air Filter and Spark Plugs) Rs.400-500/-.

Wheel Alignment Rs.200/- (if only Front) and Rs.350/- (Both Front and Rear.

Now do the total your self and see whether it comes to Rs.5000/-.

So guys Please Stop Praising Hyundai that it is Low on Maintenance.

Its not the Manufacturer which (intentionally not typed who) decides Maintenance Costs but its we Consumers who decide.

The Service Costs of our Both Diesel Indigos are much less than Maruti.

I buy the Engine Oil from outside (Castrol CRB Turbo 15W40 CH4. Tata Motors Ltd recommended 15W40 CF4 or better) and go to the TASS and get changed. The cost of the Castrol CRB Turbo 15W40 CH4 is Rs.2900/- for 15 Liters Pack. The Oil Change requires 5.5 Liters.

Washing Rs.125/-

I myself clean the Air filter at home.

So in the cost of Servicing our Indigo--

Engine Oil Change every 7,000kms for Indigo LS and every 9000kms for Indigo XL, Washing at TASS (every month. BTW our Driver cleans both cars everyday), Wheel Alignment (every 10K-15K).

Engine Oil Rs.1000/-+ Oil Filter Rs.170/- + Labour Rs.100/- for Oil Change + Wheel Alignment at Alternate Oil Change (Rs.350/- Front & Rear).

2000(Two Oil Changes) +340 (Two Oil Filters) + 200 (Labour) + 350 (Alignment)=Rs.2890/-

I can carry out Two Oil changes and 1 Wheel Alignment at cost of Rs.2890/-

So how does Hyundai charge Rs.5000/- for Single Service.

For God's Sake, Please don't bash Tata for High Maintenance Costs.

I just ignore the six monthly reminders, and the phone calls, from the dealership, . I go for an annual service. I provide my own engine oil. It seldom costs more that Rs1,500 on either car, unless plugs, brake fluid, coolant, etc. are also changed. They do have a habit of trying to force you into decoking, flushing, etc. which I refuse. last time round they had charged about Rs.50 each for the anti-rust spray & battery terminal spray, next time that too will be banned by me. For the past two years I had been going to an independent so let this pass.

Even Maruti people's service charges are very high, normally they charge between 3500 tp 5000 Rs for my Wagon R, they also try to force for flushing etc. 1665 was their service charges alone other than consumables during 20000 km service. Total I paid Rs 4722.00

I never paid more than 2000 Rs for Palio service through out five yaers.

1lakh km service charge for my baleno:

Gen Service:400

Brake overhall : 150

Engine oil: 550

Front brake pads: 750

Timing belt:1400

Labour cost for Timing belt relacement: 200

Wheel balancing: 200

Gear oil, diff oil, coolant etc: 2100

So total: 5200

And do not tell me that Maruti service is so costly!!!!!

So many MASS are available man! They will not loot you for money!

carispassion2009-10-23 03:00:46

Another point about irrationality. In the Autocar Show one person had raised a query about 7500km for Skoda and 15000 for VW for two cars with teh same drive train. Hormazd responded that Skoda were being conservative and have now jcked up to 15000km as well.

Conservative - my foot. All oils since API-SF are capable of one year intervals, so either the vendor has no confidence on his engine or is being plain greedy.

Itappears that the service interval numbers are being pulled out of a hat (or dealers caucus).
sgiitk2009-10-23 05:00:15

The service interval for VW in Europe was 10,000miles which is 16093kms. I was doubtful about this mileage when I bought my 2001VW Polo sedan since it was a great surprise for a person who used to take his 98 model Zen VXi  to service every 5000kms in India.smiley8.gif. But my Zen deserved a service at 5000kms since the rattling was horrible. I was a bit off roader since the roads were in that condition when I was a student.So the car rattled like a bullock cart at 5K kms.

The shortened service intervals are just because the dealers get more profit from service than they get from selling a car. One of my friends who used to work in Honda once told me that the profit from service is the real cash cow in car retail business.