Sign in to follow this  
MMP09

When to flash headlights!

Wish to know what are the recommended practices on flashing headlights<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Many a times I have seen oncoming vehicle flashing its lights at me when I am taking a right turn that cuts the opposite side of the road. e.g. right turn to come on to the  main road  from the building or exit the main road to enter the building gate etc.  I do so after giving right indicator light in advance and after judging speed of oncoming vehicle and safe distance etc. I am still not clear why would oncoming vehicle would flash its lights at me. What does it really mean when there

I think in India the driver who flashes the head light usually means that the oncoming vehicle should slow down and he wants to drive faster or overtake a vehicle infront of him. I am not sure whether it is technically correct but almost all are doing like this when they drive aggressively. But in Europe and Australia it is just the opposite. That is, if a driver flashes his head light, he is allowing or giving way for the vehicles coming from his opposite side to pass through or turn to right or left. 

This particular topic throws light into the lack of knowledge of road rules in Indian drivers. Even if I have driven more years in India than in Europe and Australia I am not sure which is technically correct in India.smiley2.gif I got my Indian driving license even without the practical test.smiley15.gif I have been driving cars on Indian roads since the age of 11. If someone does that in another country they would definitely get punished. But I am sure about the rules in Europe and Australia because I had to  thoroghly learn the rules for my theory tests and all the rules are to be obeyed to get through the practical test and keep the license valid.smiley7.gif
jimgeo2009-10-26 23:09:24

Unfortunately we are developing habits which are the reverse of internat5ional practices.

1. In Europe you flash as a come on signal, i.e. I am giving way to you.

2. For overtaking you signal your intentions and not what you want the other fellow to do. So in a country driving on the left you indicate LEFT to show that I am staying/moving to the left. This obviously indicates that you can overtake me if you think it is safe to do so.

You can use all the warning signals you can to show your intentions.

In case you do want the turning vehicle to give you preference of way how do you say it?

That would be by flashing your lights a couple of times to indicate the driver and slowing down.

If the driver in turn flashes his lights he says he intends to turn anyway and hence you will have to slow down.

See it as a way of communication of intentions. it is very clear and obvious and hence should be used to clear intentions in advance, not when you are almost upon the guy.

if i am flashing lights in india to on coming vehicle WHILE OVERTAKING then it means-

"LET ME OVERTAKE FIRST AND YOU PLEASE GET SLOWDOWN".

the vehicle flashing light also gives message to hidden vehicles in the que after foremost on coming wehicle That.

" I AM AT HIGH SPEED AND YOU PLEASE DONT OVERTAKE AND PLEASE LET ME GO STRAIGHT AS THE ROAD IS NOT MUCH WIDER"

In your case, it obviosly means that the incoming car -- which flashes -- wants you to slow down or stop so as to allow him to go before you take your turn.

Someone here said, that whoever flashes first has the right of way. Yes, that practice is prevelant over here.

This 'flashing' has an ambiguity associated with it, and its meaning changes with different situations , whether in new delhi(City driving), or Highway. Some situations:

(1) Lets say, in city like new delhi where there are 2 many cars. You are driving with your car on right lane with speeds say 60+ and its broad daylight, and the car in front of you is say 50 meters ahead. Those in front are in 80+ and the margin between your car and thier increases. A car coming behind is at 80+ and realises that your'e slow and blocking that lane so it flashes,What this means in this situation is that you move to your left lane and allow it the 'Pass'.If you dont move, the car coming behind you will horn accompanied by flash. This same technique is used in highway to turn aside 'Slow-movers' from fast lane.

(2) Another situation in city, a 2-way road with-out divider but yellow-line clearly demarkated.Your'e moving along the left side of yellow line and in your lane . The oncoming traffic in queue is moving on its side of the yellow line.Now in this incoming traffic on other side, Suddenly you realise, a car breaks out of its queue and with its head beam full on, drives over the central yellow line--since there is no concrete divider-- and overtakes the cars in front of it. The problem is this car is half way in your path and

coming towards you. Usually, if the oncoming vehicle is a heavy vehicle , one usually gives way by moving on left side and let it pass. But, this practice as such is clearly wrong . And in delhi car drivers are using this practice as a means to get ahead fast. This is a wrong practice, and it clearly sets a bad precedent, which many people follow. I think , drivers who do this practice are the ones who got thier licenses from dalals, and obviously have no idea of rule: that people are not suppose to cross or overtake over the yellow line.

I usually allow one or two car drivers to get past me, but when one repeatedly gets irritated by these rash drivers overtaking over yellow line then i pick one of them from distance. And employ a technique or short- manuover which i learnt some time back from Haryana roadways drivers on NH 1. Its a techinque or short manover--excuse the spelling mistake-- which in Haryana Roadways drivers parlance called 'Jhalki'. Lets say im driving on my side of yellow line and suddenly the car ahead as part of oncoming traffic breaks out , overstepping on yellow line and is half way in my path full beam on. When its about to pass me, just before i employ this 'Jhalki' -- doesnt take more than 10seconds to finish the technique-- and the effect is the rash driver is back into its lane. Rarely i use this technique, usually i allow rash drivers to pass.The intent is to teach the rash driver sense, the hard way.