Spirax1

Why not Chevy Spark?

Guys,

I see many Hyundai Santros on road but no Chevy Spark.

Just forget about Santro,Why did spark did not storm the market?

Members please answer to this question.

Putting  A.S.S,Dealer network aside,what made Spark to be a failure.

The Chevy Spark(Say matiz) is condidered best round the world.

It has also won many awards etc.

Commming to the design spark is more sleek,stylish,peppy,especially the interiors are over santro.

A/C is also chilling.smiley9.gif

Colors are attractive.

But why.......?smiley19.gif

Santro along with WagonR already has an established name in the market. Uninformed buyers go for the most popular names rather than doing actual research.Popularity is a major factor here.

Hyundai and especially Maruti have an image of providing economical sales and maintainence experience which is something that people generally dont associate with Chevrolet.

Reason three is availability. Brand Visibility.
Chevy can not possiblly be as visible and as freely available as a Hyundai and more so as a Maruti.

The spark with the attractive discounts and aggressive marketing is not picking up and managed upwards of 4000 sales in September.

In a country like our's able to afford to buy a car is one thing and after sales service is another. The hatch's, that sell, if you see have a wide ASS network. MSIL followed by Hyundai have a formidable reputation, when it come's to ASS. When you sell something like 20,000 (Hyundai) to 50,000 (MSIL) per month keeping all of them happy and further building on that reputation is a formidable task. Matiz though a good product is from a now defunct company namely Daewoo and so is the Spark, so is the Optra (nubira) so the Cruze (lacetti) they are all derived from Daewoo's portfolio.

People in India go for the Badge rather than the product. MSIL and Hyundai are both very established brands. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Spark is a very good car and fun to drive as well, no denying this fact. I really do like it and it is sad to see that it does not sell in large numbers.

The Spetember sales have shown quite a rise in the sales of Spark though. When GM launches the electric version of Spark next year we may see the rise in its sales even more.

@DD -- Sir, from what i know is that Cruze and Lacetti are both based on the new Delta II platform which will also be used for the next gen Opel Astra. It is not derived from Daewoo unlike Optra and Aveo. Infact the Lacetti was a hatchback (which was based on the Daewoo platform) and now Cruze replaces it in Korea.

Well yes it was not well recieved before due to love for Marutis and then Hyundai from people, but now its selling well and cant be called as flop. Its best as city car and even stable on highways but boot is too small for highway driving with family.

I can see too many sparks in my City but when i bought in sept,2007 there were only limited Spark and that too in Green color so everyone would identify me on road easily.

Even people used to ask me why i bought spark, but i was satisfied and trusted my own choice and now am happy and even people who asked me this question are not planning to buy or have already bought. Atleast 4 cars i know in my circle/society have bought consulting me and seeing me happy.

@BS, how you manage with its GC, Did you do anything to improve GC?

Actually i10 may be marginally better than a Spark, but for this marginal, one has to end up paying 1-1.5L extra. So frankly speaking, Spark is the Best VFM small car in India. No competition yet.
creativebala2009-10-29 11:04:29

Spark sales is picking up gradually now....This is a welcome sign....

Maruti & Hyundai are established brands...... but Remember GM is limping back to normal after bankrupcy & this itself is a big achievement at a short span of time.....

should see more SPARKS soon..... 

@BS' date=' how you manage with its GC, Did you do?anything to improve GC?

Actually i10 may be marginally better than a Spark, but for this marginal, one has to end up paying 1-1.5L extra. So frankly speaking, Spark is the Best VFM small car in India. No competition yet.
[/quote'] Yes GC is a problem, i didnt expected this problem while buying the car but as it has long wheel base its bound to touch the bottom, but it wont touch the bumps with full load, only some big rocks between the road or extremely bad uneven road will lead to problem otherwise in general you wont notice this problem.

It is not selling in great numbers only due to it's pedigree.  The Matiz was an excellent car from a company which was not well received in India (this bad experience was due to their Cielo car which had a string of problems like poor fuel economy, horrible handling of it's public relations department, smear compaign by some rivals, bulk rate-cuts offered at regular intervals etc.,) which did not go well with Indian Customer.  Inspite of these drawbacks, Matiz was a success.  Till the company got closed down.  Once bitten, twice shy.... that's the reason why the re-born Matiz (Spark) took some time to get good numbers, even though it is now being offered by a different (and relatively more reliable) company.  It's a good car for city driving and occassional trip outside.  But, not a long distance dependable workholic vehicle. 

Spark is a great car and a VFM . But for such a price and target segment you gotta be spot on with your A.S.S and brand name. Though people still have trust to an extent in GM brand . Regular price cuts too have been a wrong trend. 

So what about how to poll?

Yes,considering all your points

what i think is spark is a good car but let down only due to A.S.S,Brand name.

What about its pros & cons?

can you send me some points in which the spark is good and bad kicking out A.S.S and brand name.

Yes many of the members often say that many chevy cars are based on daewoo platforms(Beat,Cruze).

I think all of them think that if a car is launched before in a country(especially in home towns)its considered to be a product of its own.

But in case of GM its not like that just laccetti is launched before in korea it cant be a korean car.

2.another point to be considered is that GMDAT is the design center for GM cars tough its full form includes daewoo any car cant be daewoo.

3.many laugh at daewoo but they make some of the premire designs.

Spirax1