rki2007

Maintenace of New diesel engine-Advice pl

There exists a restriction for the new fresh petrol engine. It is said that for the first 1000 kms the petrol engine has to be driven at a speed less than 70-80kmph. And the engine should not be ripped and things like that. Is there any exemption for the diesel engine or even the diesel engine should be driven in such way.

One more question:- When will the new 2010 model of any car be launched.Is it in the mont of March 2010 or suppose a car is purchased in the Month of January 2010 it is regustered as as a 2009 or 2010 model. Please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Don't drive the car faster for say first 5 Kms on every trip. The Turbo needs to get warm up.

If possible, idle the car every morning for 5 mins before starting the days work.

Check the Manual for max torque's Rpm, and while driving, make sure you don't cross that level by seeing Tacho,

In the first 5 kms what should be the max spped may be 60-70kmph or even lesser than that. And isthere any restriction like for the first 1000kms drive at a particular speed and things like taht?

As regards running in period for any diesel or petrol engine do not go by figures or advice of any kind. Read the manufacturers "Owners Manual" and abide rigidly by it.

Any vehicle with date of manufacture on or after 01/01/2010 but before 31/12/2010 will be a 2010 model.

Those restrictions have become Myths I guess, because modern cars have become soo advanced that virtually nothing harms them at all.

Has anyone read in any user manual of car that it shouldnot be driven beyond a particular speed for X kms?

I dont recall having read such a thing.

So guys is it really necessary not to drive new vehicle beyond 60kmph or so??

Those restrictions have become Myths I guess' date=' because modern cars have become soo advanced that virtually nothing harms them at all.

Has anyone read in any user manual of car that it shouldnot be driven beyond a particular speed for X kms?

[/quote']

The Owner's Manual of Mahindra Xylo RECOMMENDS to drive the car below 2000Rpms in each gear for initial 3000kms.

That is why I have set the Overspeeding Alarm at speed of 80kph in DDAS (Digital Drive Assist System) of our Xylo E8 (ABS) so that whenever a person tries to cross 80kph, the DDAS beeps and warns the driver.

I myself upshift the gears at 2000rpms.

Those restrictions have become Myths I guess' date=' because modern cars have become soo advanced that virtually nothing harms them at all.

[/quote']

The Owner's Manual of Mahindra Xylo RECOMMENDS to drive the car below 2000Rpms in each gear for initial 3000kms.

That is why I have set the Overspeeding Alarm at speed of 80kph in DDAS (Digital Drive Assist System) of our Xylo E8 (ABS) so that whenever a person tries to cross 80kph, the DDAS beeps and warns the driver.

I am not sure about the turbo kick in the Xylo, But as far as Manza, Dzire is concerned the real power spurts in only at 2000rpm. What will you do in this regard.

I have set the Overspeeding Alarm at speed of 80kph in DDAS (Digital Drive Assist System) of our Xylo E8 (ABS) so that whenever a person tries to cross 80kph' date=' the DDAS beeps and warns the driver.

[/quote']

I am not sure about the turbo kick in the Xylo, But as far as Manza, Dzire is concerned the real power spurts in only at 2000rpm. What will you do in this regard.

Please read my Quote Carefully. I have already answered that I am upshifting gears at 2000rpm as per recommendation of M&M (not exceeding 2000rpm in any gear). I will be driving like this till 1st Service at 5000kms even if M&M recommended the 3000kms mark. I have our Driver too to drive below 2000rpms till 5000kms.

At 5000kms Service (1st Free Service) Engine Oil is to be changed as per M&M Recommendation. Then may be I will use the vehicle to its full potential.

The Manufacturers do a lot of R&D and hence advise the Running-In of Vehicle.

I dont know whether the Manufacturers advise the Running-In for Our Benefit (so that we get Best from our Vehicle for Long Time)smiley4.gif or for Fear of Blowing of Engine, Transmission, and Other Partssmiley18.gif. May be Experts like FRG, 325i could put light on this matter.smiley1.gif

EDIT:

I feel Bad for Ramesh Babusmiley18.gifsmiley6.gif that the M&M Service Guys advised him to change Engine Oil at 1000kms and 5000kms despite M&M recommendation of 1st Engine Oil change at 5000kms (not at 1000kms).
sudeepd2009-11-20 16:39:10

@ sudeepd

I feel Bad for Ramesh Babusmiley18.gifsmiley6.gif that the M&M Service Guys advised him to change Engine Oil at 1000kms and 5000kms despite M&M recommendation of 1st Engine Oil change at 5000kms (not at 1000kms).

Do not feel bad for me, dear.  The M&M service did not advise me to change the engine oil in my Xylo at 1,000 km (as you say)....

As per the recommended schedule, the engine oil was changed only during the first free service (below 5,000 km) when I took the vehicle on the day it completed 4 months in my hands.

I have, since, completed the second free service as well (below 10,000 km) on one day earlier to 8 months of ownership.

rameshbabu.n2009-11-21 05:43:32

Off Topic--

@Ramesh Babu

But you mentioned in another thread that the Engine Oil was replaced at 1000kms and 5000kms, respectively. So I thought the M&M guys forced you to do so.

Topic Related 

Anyways, I would like to request the Owners to follow the Recommendation given in the Owner's Manual regarding Maintenance of ALL (Petrol and Diesel) Vehicles.

Just for Information, I would like to mention that my Business Partner who bought a BMW 730 Ld drove the car at speeds in excess of 150-160kph the Next Day of Delivery.smiley22.gif

I guess BMW (and also Audi, MB, VW, Volvo) might not be recommending to drive the car below 2000rpms for initial so-and-so kms.

Most diesels will not even start coming 'on song' below 2000 rpm.In general modern engines are much better built so one need not coddle them too much.

sgiitk2009-11-21 11:32:07

In general modern engines are much better built so one need not coddle them too much.

Could you please specify as to why M&M RECOMMENDS that for initial 3000kms, the Engine Rpm should be not increased more than 2000 Rpm in Each Gear for The Xylo?

Also please move this topic to AAA Section since this Topic is Related to Engine (Technical) Query.

Thanks.
sudeepd2009-11-25 17:26:08

running in the car is a kind of an old concept which was just required for those old engines but these new engines dont need to be cared for so much...just get the car serviced on time is just what is required...in diesel cars you have to rev the car...as i own all petrol cars i upshift max by 2500 rpm but diesels need to be revved till atleast 3000 rpm before upshifting !!!

running in the car is a kind of an old concept which was just required for those old engines but these new engines dont need to be cared for so much...

So are the Manufacturers Stupid smiley18.gif to Recommend to keep the car below 2000rpm in each gear for initial "so-and-so" kilometers (M&M Recommends to keep the car below 2000rpm in each gear for initial 3000kms).

in diesel cars you have to rev the car...as i own all petrol cars i upshift max by 2500 rpm but diesels need to be revved till atleast 3000 rpm before upshifting !!!

FYKI, Modern Petrol as well as Diesel Cars need not require to revved more than 2000rpm unless you are driving for a race.

I upshift the gears at 2000rpm for all gears in our Xylo and both Indigos. No jerks are felt after shifting. i.e. all the 3 cars pull cleanly even after shifting at 2000rpm Mark.

Many of Linea Owners on this Forum have posted that their Petrol Lineas pull from as low as 30-35kph in 4th gear (That comes to about <1000rpm i.e. less than 1000rpm). And Thats because of the Nice Low End Torque the Linea has.

FYKI' date=' Modern Petrol as well as Diesel Cars need not require to revved more than 2000rpm unless you are driving for a race.[/quote']
Modern Turbo Diesels seldom come 'on song' much below 2200rpm. The shift point depends on the road scenario - on a highway when overtaking you may rev to up to 75%+ of peak revs, pottering around you may even shift a petrol as low as 1500rpm and so on.

Modern Turbo Diesels seldom come 'on song' much below 2200rpm. The shift point depends on the road scenario - on a highway when overtaking you may rev to up to 75%+ of peak revs' date=' pottering around you may even shift a petrol as low as 1500rpm and so on.
[/quote']

Sir,

You didnot read my previous post completely. I mentioned that I upshifted Indigo (Diesel) and Xylo at 2000rpm. But the car pulled without any hiccups.

Even while overtaking on highways one can upshift at 2000rpm unless the person (follower) has JUST Milliseconds to overtake. If the Oncoming vehicle is far enough, one can overtake the vehicle ahead even with 1500-2000rpm.

Instead of overtaking in Miliseconds, its better to anticipate the distance required and comfortably overtake the vehicle ahead.

If you are in situation where you have just "ms" to overtake, its better to wait until the oncoming traffic passes away and then overtake. In this way, the driver of the vehicle ahead will not get Frustrated unlike if you try to push your vehicle ahead of him and he has to apply brakes to avoid ramming you from behind.smiley1.gif

You missed Sgiitk's point completely. Turbos spool above 2K rpm - so you're missing out on half the fun if you upshift before that (and you aren't achieving peak efficiency).

Driving at sub 2K rpm's is certainly possible - but it isn't the best way to drive a forced induction engine.

@rki2007

Sorry for late reply.

Normally,the initial 1000km is known as "Running in" wherein the manufacturer advices not to over stress the engine so as to ensure better mating of the new parts.Proper "Running in" care will be beneficial in the long run."Running in " instructions apply to both Diesel & Petrol engines.

Coming to your 2nd ques,"launch" & "date of mfg" are different terms. "Launch" simply means unveiling a new model in the market. A model launched in Jan 2010 may have been manufactured in the previous year. In such a case ur registration date will be Jan 2010 but mfg date will be 2009.