carispassion

Honda VTEC vs Toyota VVTi

friends, i have found an interesting article, in the following link, comparing honda vtech and toyota vvti.

http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/hondas-vtec-and-toyotas-vvti/

not a technical study, but i think they have made their points. hope we can have a good discussion on this.

the discussion goes like this:

Honda

but don't you think such sudden changes in horsepower in the vtec prove detrimental to the gaddi in the long run? Also, will I don't think it will prove to be smooth handling. I've driven my dad's Innova and I feel the driving is very pleasurable... Its smooth. Nice article, but please provide more info under the versus headline in terms of feedback.smiley20.gif

and feriends,

i like the vvti more.

because of the continuously variable valve timing, vvti has better control over engine performance, and the acceleration is increasing uniformly with rpm. (VTECH ha less acceleration at low rpm)

whereas, the VTECH boosts the top end performance. it wont speak 'performance' below some 4000rpm. so, a normal driver drver wont feel the performance. (who drives below 4000rpm normally.) whereas, the vvti is a good performer at low rpm also(it is a good performer at high rpm, but not a match to honda VTECH at high rpm.)

moreover, considering the similar sized VVTi and VTECH engines, VVTi will score on fuel efficiency (especially under city driving conditions). hence, me being a normal driver, will definitely vote for VVTi. but no rally driver can resist, driving himself a VTECH...!!!!!!

i heard a news about toyota developing new technology engine. so feel it will attend the shortcomings of existing VVTi smiley20.gif

you said it, rssh,

the customers are now becoming more utility concious

we can point out this example:

the cars now are coming with high seating position, which inturn will increase centre of gravity, which means that the cars are not that sporty anymore. car companies are bringing in new generation models of their existing cars, with higher seating position

examples.

old honda city --> new city

suzuki baleno --> sx4

old zen        --> new zen

we can point out the opposite trends too... example

santro --> i10 smiley20.gif

Is this the utility section of the forums or the performance section? smiley2.gif

I don't see how VVT-i can be better from a performance perspective if VTEC gives better numbers, and works on both intake and exhaust valves, as opposed to only intake for the Toyotas.

Actually, both VTEC and VVT-i principles have been combined and put to use by both these companies in the form of i-VTEC and VVT-Li. They are two types of variable valve timing called cam phasing(VVT-i) and cam changing(VTEC). So, combining them gives better performance with an increase in price..