Sign in to follow this  
creativebala

Grand Vitara to become CKD

grandvitara_13.jpgMaruti Suzuki is considering to locally assemble the Grand Vitara by next year, as it looks to bring a diesel version of the SUV to bump the sales. The company which currently imports the Grand Vitara from Japan, has already started the initial process for starting assembly of the SUV, including talks with component makers for supply of parts. Initially the diesel Vitara would be a completely-built-unit (CBU). CBUs attract over 100% import duty, making it highly expensive and uncompetitive.

In the recent months, sales of Grand Vitara is falling drastically. During April-September period, sales of the SUV fell nearly 70% to just 59 units from 194 units in the year-ago period. In July, a more powerful version of the Grand Vitara was introduced to revive the demand but failed to do so. In September, sales declined by 53% to only 9 units as against 19 units in the same month last year.

- motorbeam

IF ti become CKD also i cant compet with Fortuner & captiva...

Honda CRV struggling to sale in good numbers. They have price it below 13 lacs if they want to increase the numbers.

When the Vitara becomes CKD there will be a heavy reduction in the costs, because of the custom duty. So prices are bound to fall drastically, I expect it to be around the Safari-Scorpio mark, and there I think it can sell pretty good.

Th Vitara has a 1.9 Multijet diesel engine abroad. Can we see the same engine do the duty in the SX4?

the only GV i would have bought would have been the first generation with V6 , maruti somehow has to fit it self into 10+ lakhs segment

@ rahul , don't u think it being asking too much from maruti ? 1.9 multijet in SX4 ? i would be glad if they get a 1.6

If it comes near 12lac, it would be a hot-seller but again even Chevy is considering CKD option, so Captiva is any day a better choice than GV.

And i think Fiat still has not permitted to use 1.6-1.9 MJD's here otherwise Sx4 would have launched way before, so i doubt this news. I dont expect it before mid 2010 or may be later.

But still at 12lac(diesel), it will be the best option.

I dont think Quality will be great. Its not that worth even when its imported so can i expect good quality from locally assembled GV by Maruti Suzuki, i think NO...Because till now they have not shown the quality improvement nationally or Globally, so cant expect so soon till they are top sellers here. I have seen the Mahindra's, Tata's and Hyundai's quality improvement to great extent, but not MS. They are almost the same with every product. I hope we see it but thing is i am now not so positive about my hope.

I dont think Quality will be great. Its not that worth even when its imported so can i expect good quality from locally assembled GV by Maruti Suzuki' date=' i think NO...Because till now they have not shown the quality improvement nationally or Globally, so cant expect so soon till they are top sellers here. I have seen the Mahindra's, Tata's and Hyundai's quality improvement to great extent, but not MS. They are almost the same with every product. I hope we see it but thing is i am now not so positive about my hope.[/quote']

do you mean to say, Quality of GV is worser than Safari/Scorpio. I don't think so

Quality isn't as good as it should be for its current price. But something around 12 lakhs, I don't think we should complain. Hell, if they launch a diesel GV, I'm definately interested.

EDIT: We don't know what the prices will be after this, so please disregard that 12 lakh figure, it was only for comparison's sake.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-11-06 16:37:55

The Safari and Scorpio are no way near in comparison to the Vitara. I think these cars cater to a different market altogehter. But for a reduced price of 12-13 GV seems like a better option. It surely is a few more Lacs then the other two but I guess at their respective prices all three cars would give enough value.

Lets hope there isn't a huge drop in the cars quality which already isnt great. 

Now that I think of it, I don't think the Multijet will come soon because if I remember correctly, the GV has a longitudinal arrangement and the Multijet is designed for transverse application.

EDIT: I just ran a price check on used Vitaras. 2007 MT models going for Rs 11 lakh. Resale values will come down for sure after the price cuts.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-11-06 19:38:57

I dont think Quality will be great. Its not that worth even when its imported so can i expect good quality from locally assembled GV by Maruti Suzuki' date=' i think NO...Because till now they have not shown the quality improvement nationally or Globally, so cant expect so soon till they are top sellers here. I have seen the Mahindra's, Tata's and Hyundai's quality improvement to great extent, but not MS. They are almost the same with every product. I hope we see it but thing is i am now not so positive about my hope.[/quote']

do you mean to say, Quality of GV is worser than Safari/Scorpio. I don't think so
No buddy, i didnt said this thing if you read it clearly. I mentioned that i have seen the others improving big time but not MS, their quality is not as per prices, its the same cheap one. From Swift till Vitara, its almost the same. But its better than Safari/Scorpio anyday. I just say that there is scope of improvement in Tata/Mahindra but not in MS. Being a Jap too they cant deliver us something good thats strange.

Anyways, even if it comes at around 12-14lacs but with petrol then the conditions are not gonna improve, it needs a diesel and with that heart it can get some good numbers even at around 14-15lacs.bluesapphire2009-11-07 03:59:01

EDIT: I just ran a price check on used Vitaras. 2007 MT models going for Rs 11 lakh. Resale values will come down for sure after the price cuts.

FRG

when i was on a look out for an SUV , i was offered an 2008 feb vitara here in chembur by TEJ motors for 10 lakh , he would have come down if i had shown some interest

@BS

As per reports Maruti has been improving its quality with every launch. When Swift was launched its quality was said to be better than the other maruti, same was the statement given when SX4 was launched, and when Ritz was launched there was reported a huge change in quality though i10 and i20 were still better and now with the new SX4 launch again the same statement has been given. So we cant say that Maruti  is not improving its quality, yes it is a little late but I hope soon there will be cars from Gurgaon when we can say that quality level is appreciable, at least by Kizashi launch

Kizashi ??

lets welcome SX4 interiors in Kizashi , maruti is not ready to leave the swift plastic & steering wheel , they can do a good job , maybe take some hint from tata's new launched

@BSAs per reports Maruti has been improving its quality with every launch. When Swift was launched its quality was said to be better than the other maruti' date=' same was the statement given when SX4 was launched, and when Ritz was launched there was reported a huge change in quality though i10 and i20 were still better and now with the new SX4 launch again the same statement has been given. So we cant say that Maruti? is not improving its quality, yes it is a little late but I hope soon there will be cars from Gurgaon when we can say that quality level is appreciable, at least by Kizashi launch

[/quote'] Yes they have started but their speed is too slow and growth in improvement is by too less margin, not a huge leap, till it was in hands of Maruti, they did nothing, same quality was there from 800 to Baleno/Versa, but yes after it became completely Suzuki, there is some improvement but no appreciable. And seeing the segment gap between Swift and Sx4 there is not such an improvement and even with new Sx4, its the same except the color changes. Yes Ritz is good(the only maruti i cant hate after 800.) See Mahindra, tata and Hyundai, they improved by leaps and bounds and more than that in just 10years, atleast now to me Quality wise Tata's are better than maruti, i liked the Vista's build quality than Swift's & also the interior plastics(i dont know how many of you will believe this). But yes i cant tell about its long term reliability.

And regarding Kizashi, i dont hope too much, by any means they will not live upto expections of a 15lac saloon, maybe then you will say that its better than Swift or Sx4, but here with segment change you can take it as an improvement. Swift to Ritz is an improvement since they are from same segment but swift to Sx4 or to Kizashi cant be said as improvement. With Kizashi, if launched they will try their old formula with cheap quality but more features and Vfm price. With this tactic they are screaming loudly that we cant improve our quality so are compensating with class leading features which we can give.bluesapphire2009-11-07 08:24:34

http://www.zigwheels.com/News/Suzuki-Europe-plonks-the-19-DDiS-diesel-motor-in-the-Vitara/Suzuki_20090908-1-1

Suzuki Great Britain has introduced a revised version of its 1.9 DDiS diesel powered SUV - the Grand Vitara SZ 5-door, for 2009. The powerful and torquey engine option puts the Grand Vitara in a league of world class diesel off-roaders with colossal 300Nm of torque right from 2000rpm and 129PS of power available from 3750rpm. Going by Suzuki's intention to focus on developing markets, this car might be on its way to the Indian sub-continent. The existing Grand Vitara models with 2.0 Litre and 2.4 Litre engine options have received strong positive response from the Indian customer base.

A diesel variant for the Grand Vitara for India will only make it an even more lucrative product in Suzuki India's current line-up. A powerful diesel like the 1.9 DDiS coupled to the 4x4 system gives the Grand Vitara amazing off-roading capacity and the massive 300Nm of torque means that she can be happily taken across rough terrain. Surely there is enough space in the Indian car arena for a potent and torquey 4x4 SUV like the Grand Vitara. The 2009 Grand Vitara diesel has improved significantly in terms of NVH levels with Suzuki employing new sound insulation measures to make sure that the NVH levels are under check at all speeds.