Which brand?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand?

• BP
    • Indian Oil
    • Reliance
    • Shell
    • Other

It does not make any difference as to which brand you use since you might be buying petrol from a HP pump but there is a heavy probability that you will be getting petrol manufactured at another company. This is because of mobility costs. Just imagine going to a HP pump in Kolkata where the nearest HP refinery is in Vishakhapatnam while nearest refinery allover is just 100 km in Haldia of IOC, cost to HP will be very high in respect to cost to IOC, so all the psu oil companies have an agreement.

The shell sells Indian Oil fuel through an agreement, while Government has asked the psu companies to help sell its fuel in India, after it closed all its pumps last year following the Fuel crisis.

EDIT

Ya. one might go to a particular brand because of trust and fear of adulteration in the fuel so that  would be Indian Oil for me, if possible the Xtra Care ones.

rahul18102009-11-07 15:04:23

Was used to BP but now its HP. Was going to a BP company run outlet till recently, but the other day saw in the papers that it was raided for fake measurements. Could'nt believe a company run outlet going this way! Depends on the integrity of the workers after all! So now its a "reliable" HP pump. 

Mostly I use Indian Oil normal petrol as Toyota does not recommend premium petrols. Earlier I always filled my Matiz with Xtra Premium only. If IOC is not available then I fill with BP or HP. Sadly I have not seen any Shell pump in North India and Reliance have stopped selling petrol, else I would have shifted to Shell. akj53in2009-11-07 15:10:14

Regularly use HP Power but Shell Super Unleaded would be my preferred brand and have been using it on and off. Other than their fuel which is great, their service levels are brilliant. Though Madras had around 15 Shell stations, its a pity that they are not on my regular commuting roads. They have increased thier prices recently though.

By the way, I think there is already a thread with a similar topic.

Well does it matters, there are 2pumps at equal distance from my house, both are 2min away, one is HP and other is IOC. HP is pump is company owned and well maintained and regularly on our way so we go there, but someday would like to experience Shell as heard its good but whats the price of their fuel anyways???

Shell have 2pumps in my city and both are too far but will try once.

And just an Update, Reliance has now started selling the fuel at market price i.e 47.63 Rs. in my city at par with others, so i guess its good but dont know the reason as they declared that they are closing down this business.

And you should have included HP, IBP and Essar instead of 'Others' as an option. And i guess fuel wise HP, BP, IBP and IOC are all same as all are PSU's, only difference being the name and their design formats of pumps, nothing else.

I am inclined to agree with rahul since the source may be the same. I will look at the pumps more from the point of view of Reliability - we all know adulteration is nearly universal. There are two ills - adulteration and metering being doctored. This could be that the dispenser is set to under-measure (typically 3-5%)or the operator is being over smart.

I had a preference for Reliance since their measurement and quality were accurate.

When out of town (in EII places) I go for XtraPremium since it is 93RON (strictly not Premium under EIII where Premium should be 95RON) because this way I am sure that it is not 88RON. BP/HP do not specify the RON of their premium fuels.

The shell sells Indian Oil fuel through an agreement' date=' while Government has asked the psu companies to help sell its fuel in India, after it closed all its pumps last year following the Fuel crisis.[/quote']So are you trying to say that the more costlier Shell fuel is same which is used by IOC at low price???

I have tried to gather more information and have found out that what fuel shell sells is of Mangalore Refineries Private limited(MRPL) with shell only as the marketer. MRPl is a subsidiary of ONGC and before Shell used to sell oil to other PSUs. So the myth that shell fuel is better is well, just a myth, and people getting trapped by the name. I quote the news article about the same dated 09/07/2007.

@BS

You pay the higher prices because Shell being a private marketer cant afford to sustain losses, look where reliance has landed itself. While IOC and other PSU afford the losses because of the government support. According to industry sources, to get the same profit margin that the PSU companies used to get in 2001 the fuel prices will have to rise by atleast 3 Rs.

New Delhi: For supplying petrol and diesel, Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) has signed up a four-year agreement with Shell India Marketing Private Ltd. The products comprise all grades of MS and HSD grades.

According to MRPL

Ya i know that being no subsidy available private companies have to sell at higher cost, but other than that i also believe that it might be worth due to better fuel quality, but seems that Shell quality is no different from other PSU's, so why to shell out that extra money for Shell or others.

OK - So the normal unleaded fuel is generally the same as sold by different companies.

But we still dont have an answer about the premium petrols?

HPCL, BPCL, IOC - Which one of these sells the better PREMIUM petrol and is it worth buying over the normal unleaded petrol?

@ Rahul: I don't think Shell Unleaded is the same as other unleaded fuels. Its superior and many people swear by it. Do you have confirmation that Shell just buys the fuel and sells it without doing any process on it?

I have quoted the article above. The shell name is just branding given to the MRPL fuel. This was done on September 7 2007. Also shell does not have any unit where processing can be done and have only the permission to market oil. It is just a myth and infact a real good marketing strategy, because not many people go into the detail except those who are in the oil industry, which my father luckily is therefore I have all the information.

Here I am posting link of another article from Hindu about the same.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/09/06/stories/2007090651640300.htm

Shell sells well not because the fuel quality is superior - it sells because of the customer focus. Pump attendants are better trained, courteous and helpful and I'm yet to hear off or observe any malpractices going on at Shell pumps.

My own experience with Reliance has been similar. I invariably seem to get a higher mileage after tanking up there. There is none in Kanpur so it was on NH25. Also, I have a distinct feeling that I find the tank getting full with less fuel than I expect from my judgement.

I go to the IOC bunk close to my place, I have been going there for a long time. Just tank up once a month. Of late they brought in Nitrogen inflation in tyres free of cost. I can see sgiitk fuming at the mention of Nitrogen. I haven't checked the tyres inflation this time coz of monsoon ravaged road's: I'd like the ride to be a bit cushy.   Durango Dude2009-11-11 09:37:30