Capt. Kirk

Autocar Exclusive: Mahindra THAR

The rumors and speculations have boiled down to this. Seen below in the pictures is the Mahindra Thar.

When caught up to on the Mumbai Pune Expressway, it was doing around 140kmph comfortably with short bursts of speed even quicker than that.

As known, the Thar will have the old MM540 Body Shell, but with Scorpio Running Gear.

205xlc.jpg

2j3jevd.jpg

2h87iwl.jpg

23m4tv8.jpg

The rumors and speculations have boiled down to this. Seen below in the pictures is the Mahindra Thar. When caught up to on the Mumbai Pune Expressway' date=' it was doing around 140kmph comfortably with short bursts of speed even quicker than that. As known, the Thar will have the old MM540 Body Shell, but with Scorpio Running Gear. 205xlc.jpg2j3jevd.jpg2h87iwl.jpg23m4tv8.jpg

[/quote']

Capt Kirk it is possible that you have logged in the wrong data. You know that could just be a MM 540 and not the Thar. I doubt that 140 kmph and more, the canvas on the roof is sure to act as a slow down parachute and with or without the Scorpio engine and running gear that thing is not likely to reach the speeds you are talking about.

That's a good find Capt. The old MM540 couldn't do close to 140kph, so it had to be something powerful under the hood. Besides the hubs on the front suggest the Scorpio 4WD running gear. Very good find. BornFree are you watching this? smiley2.gif

FRG

Lovely scoop Capt. Excellent to see something so rugged from M & M again after their whiling away time with the Major and the 540/550 DP/DI / Commanders and so on.

The roll-over cages seem to be X tra strong!smiley4.gif

I am sure FRG will surely be thrilled to see something worthy of replacing the Ol' Classic.

anjan_c20072009-11-09 14:42:26

Not able to believe this contraption does 140kmph and more. I have travelled in the backseat of the MM540; OMG, my butt developed corn's at the end of the ride. It's only for serious mudplugging and Marlboro men only. No offense meant.

I wonder why go through the bother of shoehorning the MHawk into such a pathetic contraption. The MM540 is an old rustbucket used only by Govt. Agencies and very,very few private operator's probably in the mountain's/tea estate's. It's serve's as a bench mark for all that NVH, Ride comfort, handling that a vehicle should NOT be. I'm surprised in this day and age that companies are going 'ga ga' over reinventing design's that should have been buried in a deep catacomb eon's back. So goes for the RE Bullet classic and people are ready to pay above of 1,00,000 lakh for it, I still wonder why Royal Enfield exist's?

Capt.. thanks for updating...one of my friend is owning a MM540 4*4 and was looking for a new one... if this makes it.. then will suggest him for this option. Otherwise he was very keen for the Gurkha. But in anycase in my opinion Gurkha will win for its overall reliability anyday.

4WD - 2500 cc turbo diesel CRDe engine THAR concept should easily make 140 kmph with the stiff MM540 chassis... 

India is the huge land with wide market oppurtunities........NANO & HUMMER SELL TOGETHER IN THIS MARKET.....Thar will also sell big.

Thar Concept  has made MM540 even more better product offering ....

It can very well take a place in the Army too.....

So goes for the RE Bullet classic and people are ready to pay above of 1' date='00,000 lakh for it, I still wonder why Royal Enfield exist's?[/quote']

Ah, finaly someones who thinks like me.

@ DD

dont you think we think alike.smiley1.gif

Well its personal thinking, some people hate this old classics while some are only made for this and are mad for this. So it depends upon your taste, but yes they lose on reliability factor but those who loves them dont care.

I dont love these to an extent but dont hate these either, means i like the looks but cant compromise on quality after paying a lakh for RE, but really someday would like to have just as an extra bike for weekends, Thar and RE are something to be kept side-by-side in a Farm house.

Well, Thar doesnt looks that great, i mean not rugged and too plain, if this was what gonna come then why did they discontinued the older MM540.

I like jeeps but with BIG tyres with chrome alloys and leather seats, i think Mahindra should provide something like this rather people modifying it.

So goes for the RE Bullet classic and people are ready to pay above of 1' date='00,000 lakh for it, I still wonder why Royal Enfield exist's?[/quote']

Ah, finaly someones who thinks like me.

@ DD

dont you think we think alike.smiley1.gif

The last I heard was the Bullet fan's have issued a "fatwa"/taken out a "supari"<money has already been hawala'ed to the Don in Dubai> against us both, so be prepared to run and hide.
Durango Dude2009-11-17 17:47:31

Few points before we take up  pricing:

-Its going to be bare bones but Im expecting PS.

-Its going to cater to a niche segment & can never be a mass market product.

-A jeep (Major) already exists & retails for ~ 4.5-5L

-Invader is also around 4.5L

-Bolero starts from 5.5L & 4x4 costs ~ a Lakh more.

-Xylo, though not related comes ~ 6.25 for the base. I hear a cut price taxi version coming out soon.

Keeping in mind these pointers, I guess a price of ~5.5L should do the job but I guess MM will like to milk consumers, so I won't be surprised if they price it ~6L. If they try to follow Legends pricing policy, its going to be a dead product from the word go.

PS: Since Scorpio 4x4 M-Hawk comes for ~10L & Thar essentially shares the Engine & underpinnings, MM might go crazy with pricing. Crazy I mean on the higher side of 6.5L.
BornFree2009-11-17 17:59:50

I believe that if it really has to dent the market, it will have to be priced near the Gypsy. If a bare-bones model can undercut the Gypsy, Maruti will really have to think hard about the Gypsy.

Even at Rs 6.5 lakh on road, I think it will be too expensive. Mahindra has to develop this market and the best way to that is to make it affordable. The actual challenge for the marketing department of Mahindra will be to place this product amongst the other UVs like the Bolero, Scorpio and even the Major.

FRG