Capt. Kirk

Autocar Exclusive: Mahindra THAR

@sb-alto , yes I did , its for Europe & South Africa only , in South Africa, Mahindra is turning out to be a success for touring forest reserves and safaris.

Note from mod: Use capital letters where required.
BornFree2010-01-31 17:53:11

M&M to launch seven variants next financial year

Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra today said it would launch six to seven variants of its vehicles across different segments during the next financial year.

The company also said it plans to formally start production of pick-ups in the US market by the beginning of April 2010.

M&M is in the last lap of finalising its plans and an announcement is likely by year-end. The soft-roof Jeep will be powered by a 2.6 litre turbo-charged engine and is likely to cost Rs 4.5-5.5 lakh. Aimed at the tourist markets of Kerala, Rajasthan and the North East, the company expects to sell 5,000 units per year.

This is part of M&M's strategy to do something different from its competitors... It may not sell too many units initially, but it's a case of simple brand positioning.

When contacted, Pawan Goenka, president (automotive & farm equipment) Mahindra & Mahindra said: "We do not comment on future product programmes."shanthanreddyp2010-10-28 13:57:36

@ CYRUS43 " Whats so surprising." 

It's matter of personal choice. Even I find surprising for your such liking for the THAR.  It's good looking but not that special. 

I find Bolero Commando / Commander better looking vehicle than Retro Look Thar. What is wrong in that. What you mean by "Thats a First..."

61864d1224511633-indias-largest-selling-

By not launching THAR in India  even M&M knows about the liking of Indian consumer such as myself because they know there is not a big market for this OLD Looking Vehicle i.e. THAR because people are seeing this type of vehicles since they are born .

Well, This is just a City SUV with pretend looks whereas the Thar is a proper off roader. Id prefer practicality over bling anyday. Also, the above car is around 4lakhs over the stock bolero. Would you pay that?? Would you actually pay more than 10 lakh for this...?

THAR LAUNCH IN DECEMBER

Several media reports online have hinted a December-end arrival for the Thar jeep that attracted a sea of people at the Auto Expo this year. The Thar has been introduced in South Africa this year and is doing healthy numbers.

The Thar has in it a 2.5-liter CRDI engine that produces 105hp and 247Nm. Coupled to a 5-speed manual transmission and a Borg Warner Manual Shift transfer case.

It is expected to be priced around Rs.6 lakhs.