creativebala

Mahindra launches Scorpio with Air bags

@dtandon

First of all dude, that was a joke in case you did not get it.

Secondly, I never said people are loosing interest in the Scorpio. 

Finally, I do understand the importance of safety and I respect Mahindra for adding such a feature to their flagship model.

You implied that Mahindra is paying attention to the engineering and safety aspect of the car and therefore the cosmetic changes take a back seat. All I was trying to say is that a company of the stature of Mahidnra simply should not do that. Giving less importance to one aspect of the car for another is unacceptable.

You maybe willing to settle for one thing out of the two(engineering, as you said) but I prefer to have both.

FuelRunGod2009-11-12 12:35:56

@dtandon

All I was trying to say is that a company of the stature of Mahidnra simply should not do that. Giving less importance to one aspect of the car for another is unacceptable.

Like I said already - As far as Mahindra is concerned, there's nothing wrong with the looks of the Scorpio. Their reasoning -- if it sells, why change it.

@ FRG and BornFree - I remember reading that the Scorpio needed improvement in two aspects (This was with reference to the Australian crash tests) :

1. Leg/lower body safety - crash test dummies had leg injuries as the cabin deformed.

2. The steering column was the other source of injuries to the test dummies.

dtandon2009-11-12 12:35:39

Impact is one aspect, what about the toppling effect!

The speeds US roads are used to, Scorpio may turn out to be the winner of "highest toppler" award!

What Dtandon mentioned, further strengthens my point about the lack of room for drive(apart from other issues) in the front seats & thus the injuries to legs, chest.

Could you dig those reports for everyone here to see dtandon?FRG

Here you go - Australian New Car Assessment Program: Mahindra Pik-Up

This is a report containing the Australian Crash test results. Note: this is the pickup truck version of the Scorpio but the construction/design of the front passenger compartment is unchanged.

There were videos of the test on YouTube earlier, but they were removed on M&M's request. I've seen one and it wasn't a pretty sight. dtandon2009-11-12 14:05:08

That's abysmal to say the least! I could add here that the exported models could be diff. from the ones sold here(safer) & still fared so poorly. Its obvious how desi would fare!

The US version is expected to be much better - hence there must be a lot of work going into it.

The US crash tests have some additional requirements - Mahindra will have to integrate stability control and a special bumper design.